Pups that come from a dam that died from retained Placenta

Discuss Health & Medical Issues
Rustyshaklferd
Facebook ID: 0

Pups that come from a dam that died from retained Placenta

Postby Rustyshaklferd » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 pm

I have a nice plott hound that is now 10 and turned out to be a great dog I wish I would have had pups from her but its way too late for her. I am looking at buying a pup from a guy who's dog died after giving birth because the placenta did not pass. If the pup I buy, again turns out great I would want to breed her. I am concerned about potentially breeding a dog whose dam died. I raise sheep and other animals etc and would never normally keep a ewe that didnt have an unassisted birth and I am wondering what you guys think of that. And also the way bottle fed dogs are....on one hand I like the idea that the pups have had so much interaction already because of that. The other thing thats got me on the deal is he sold the Sire so now I cant see either parent and still wants 400 a pup....they are registered ukc but.....I told myself I want to see the parents the next time around and hunt with them even, if possible. I guess the guy... who lives only an hour away just had back surgery which was his reason for selling the sire but he had it listed on UKC as a 4 yr old bear,bobcat and coon dog and gave it away for 750 which seems a little cheap but I don't know. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Irish Jack
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Pups that come from a dam that died from retained Placenta

Postby Irish Jack » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:28 pm

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/canine-re ... idiq=45321

This is a very good book that I have referred to many times over the years, answerers to any thing related you could think of.
The circumstance you are asking about could be caused by a couple things, but one of those that I think of first is natural "OXYTOCIN" production which itself has more than one variable, one is the nursing or suckling of the pups which causes the bitch to produce oxytocin and cause her to clean out.
Another scenario is a large pup that did not come out before the labor producing hormones were used up, Most of which the bitch would have had little to do with. It opens the debate of weather or not to give a shot of oxytocin or not.
I have raised fifteen generations of hounds and each line is probably a bit different.
I would base my decision on weather you know what you are buying on a performance bases (you don"t know at this point if this pup will be something you want to breed or not)

Jack
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:06 am

I've raise pups out of 10 yr old gyps before and seen others do it plenty. So your 10 yr old gyp isnt out the question, if you truly want that breeding. Its tougher on an old gyp, but if she is in good health she can do it, and in fact may be the last good thing she does to help your hunting. But if she wasnt a top dog prob not worth breeding anyways. Alot of breeders (not saying you) will breed their dogs forward just because it's their dog, and see their dogs through rose colored glasses
Also if you have reservations about not seeing the parent of potential pup then you prob shouldn't be buying it. But in wouldnt be afraid to breed a pyp off that gyp if she turned out to be worthy of breeding. Just my opinion. Happy hunting and good luck.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
catkidd
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby catkidd » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:57 pm

We had pups out dog that age and little older, just keep them fit
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:09 am

Age is less the factor then health. However for the pup your considering. The male didnt vanish. So get the buyers name and contact them. See if the dog is really what it was advertised as and the new owner is satisfied. You may even arrange to see it. This will give you more to go on. I would myself check the pups growth. This is the only main concern with hand raised pups. If it didnt go smoothly and get fed as needed there can be growth issues. Also vaccinations on bottle fed pups is a must. If its not current as in the last seven days. I wouldnt buy until it is.
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004374097746

Postby TomJr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Tom Beatty Jr
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:03 pm

Don't have any advice about buying the pup, but whether you do or not. If your bitch is healthy and you like her I'd breed her. I've raised a lot of pups out of 10 year old bitches. At that age that's the best thing they can do for you, hopefully give you hounds like her to hunt for another decade and beyond.

Return to “Health & Medical Issues”