price of pups

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
hoss7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

price of pups

Postby hoss7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:11 pm

beins i'm new to the hound game, I have a question for for y'all. I have a 4 year old pure bred bluetick female with no papers. She is a bear drag champ and a great coyote/bear dog. Works on a track like nobodies business. I bred her to a registered English who is bred to tree hard on coon and has a great pedigree. My question is what should I ask for the pups. I'm not looking to get rich but I want to be fair to the buyer and myself as well. Any input would be great. Thanks!!
OUTLAW KENNELS
Home of the Blues
12-GAUGE
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: price of pups

Postby 12-GAUGE » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:18 am

$50-100. That is as much as you should ask for non papered cross bred dogs. JMO
Ask what you want, but that is as much as I would expect to see you get.
nmplott
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby nmplott » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:45 pm

the other key element is placement. Personally I like when my pups go to a place that will hunt them, I have only sold one pup to a non hunting home and it was to a home that shows dogs.
www.arrowbarkennels.com
Home of Plott hounds and American Bulldogs
bearhntwi
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 623273062

Postby bearhntwi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Papers are papers,plain and simple.If both parents are sure nuff game catchin dogs price the pups the way you see fit.I've seen non papered dogs go for more than reg. stuff at times if they were out of some really good stuff.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Jeff Eberle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:26 pm

Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Cold Track
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Cold Track » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:25 am

What these last two men said is right, Especially if the cross is proven. I know of more people with good crossed up dogs than papered.
rooster
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby rooster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:05 am

thier worth as much as you can get. ive seen guys get 250 for the first 2 or 3 and then sell the rest for 50 or whatever. i try to get my shots and food back. 50-100. it is a chore raising pups right and a guy should get something to cover your cost.
Roy Sparks
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100007420332603

Postby Roy Sparks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:12 am

To much emphasis on papers is not going to make a dog any better in terms of capability.

A history based on " Quality , Performence , Results " is worth far more to a houndsman that hunts his hounds than a piece of paper.

I dont see the point in raising a litter of pups if you only going to get enough back to cover costs - doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Purchasing a pup is an investment that will or should bring back a lot of pleasure , worth a lot more than a hundred bucks.

Any buyer ought to do homework if they serious prior to a purchase - if in doubt dont .

It is tough if you're not to well known yet in the business of breeding, raising and hunting with your hounds to move pup's at realistic prices that include some measure of profit. To circumvent this to a degree is to make sure you start out right with well known and proven bloodlines with authenticated proof you have made purchases from those breeders or houndsmen to back you later.

More importantly is to get into the woods and start stacking hides so you can show what your hounds are doing. Earn your reputation and your hound pups should move for fairly descent prices. I dont consider 50 - 100 dollars money for a pup.

Roy Sparks.
rooster
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby rooster » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:13 pm

what about an unproven shot in the dark?
Roy Sparks
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100007420332603

Postby Roy Sparks » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:47 pm

Rooster I would not put money on any shot in the dark , you might get a ricochete and get hit in the eye by a rebound. Not nice going into rough timber at night with a patch over one eye , you might get your one good eye poked out by a branch. :wink:

I would personally, if left with no choice try get into the woods with the sire and dam at the very least and see what they can do.Then decide if I would still try a pup. Maybe a 100 bucks is worth a shot in the dark to some but what you going to come up with breeding wise into the future with that purchase ? To many variables. Plenty of known guys and hounds out there to get from that are consistant.

Going in blind is a gamble and I dont like to gamble. Rather go with credentials of proven stock.

Well I suppose in that case if the seller is happy with a hundred bucks I'd consider it fair. However the buyer needs to recognise that and not come down on an enthusiastic young houndsman if the hound does not perform like he want's.That's the other side of fair. Take the shot in the dark by all means but accept the outcome for better or for worse.

Roy Sparks.
hoss7
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hoss7 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 am

Thanks a bunch from all of you!! There are good arguments on both sides. I will have pups in about 10 days and will post pics and some info on parents then. Thanks again for your input!
OUTLAW KENNELS
Home of the Blues
cat and bear
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cat and bear » Mon May 03, 2010 10:31 am

Return to “Bluetick Coonhounds”