Plott as a coyote dogs

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Plott as a coyote dogs

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:41 pm

Hi everyone I was wondering what you all would say about how a plott would do as coyote dogs I met a guy on here that uses them and seems to do pretty good I was wondering because they are one of the few hound breeds you can still find around here
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Plott as a coyote dogs

Postby justahunter » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:37 pm

I know lots of plott guys that are very successful running coyotes with plotts .
Hunt hard cull hard !
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:31 pm

Do you know if they are more running tracking dogs or baying/catch how many they use do they hunt in the day or at night and what kind of land they hunt
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:19 pm

They'd get tossed out here but in the right country they would be just fine. As good as any breed I'm sure.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:16 pm

Well I have never been your way but from what I have heard is it flat and pretty open here it heavy brush and hills
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:05 pm

Was going to stay away from this one but....we hunt snow, swamps brush farm land and Ledge country. We hunt fur. I run plott others in our group include triggs and other running walker types. Tracking and trailing ability of these various high end breeds (well trained run to catch "keeper" type hounds) is very similar. The plotts shine on the catch Bay and stay aspect, and are usually not following the running dogs although lead changes are common . Imo well bred plotts have plenty of speed bottom and nose to harvest about any coyote we put on and will stay with dead, wounded or bayed critters better than most running dogs. As far as chase leaving the county, lots of variables deep snow many are caught quick hard pack with snowmobile trails and less scent can go many miles and last all day, on average we will kill 3 to5 a day

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
tmalone
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby tmalone » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:30 pm

i think i better get me some plots so we can average 3 to 5 a day!!!
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:53 am

If lm not mistaken we are not that far away l would gladly bring a dog or two for a change of pace or be happy to see your hounds down hear. Obviously running bigger blocks in your area may result in longer races

houndhunter450
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby houndhunter450 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:03 am

I love the idea of seeing a good plott go, where tmalon and I are from they are few and far between that are worth feeding.... Couple guys have them around but never seen one that made me step back and say "damn" I need me one of those

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:06 pm

I have hunted many different breeds of hounds and hunted with many different breeds of hunting dogs . I have seen plenty of shitty dogs in all breeds . but when you see or have a good plott or plotts they are hard to beat or want anything else . just been my experience and that's why I only have plotts nothing else satisfies me and I have turned completely color blind and racist of any other breed . lol . when I turn loose I know I am gonna be going to a Tree or catch .
Hunt hard cull hard !
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 pm

I was wondering how you all would think that they would do in a area were it steep hills with heavy cover and a lot of times little or know snow
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 pm

Just for the record I sold my blue dog this summer. Cat coon fisher coyote or bear the plott has consistently shown me more fur and imo is the easiest to train
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:43 pm

No trouble on bear ground, lower percentage catching a coyote but if the coyote can get up down or through it he will be chased

hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:20 pm

So do you think it would be a good chance of getting a shot with them I have heard some of the old fox hunters talking about a couple of slow steady dogs would push just enough that they would run a big lop I have heard of coyote doing the same thing have any of you seen them do that and two when you named Fisher how does that work do they tree/bay them we don't have them this far south but we do have mink otter and skunks which I think are from the same family and we trap for but I read were some of the old timers used them to den mink and skunks and over in Europe hunt otter's with dogs
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bon Plott » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:43 pm

We hunt in a group 2or 3 trucks couple on foot, some days there is a lot of shooting. Fishers tree, never gave mink or otter a thought without a basket full of conibears

Return to “Plott Hounds”