Washburn...?

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
Idaho
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Washburn...?

Postby Idaho » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:59 am

A hunting partner of mine just bought two pups that have some Washburn blood in them. He hasn't gotten the papers on them yet so I can study them but I know that this blood originally came from Gerry Washburn down in New Mexico. I don't know much else about it. What do you guys know and think of the Washburn blood? My hunting partner is hoping they make bear dogs. He'll run them on cougar and bobcat too.
"Vive in libertate aut morere!"
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000463480608

Re: Washburn...?

Postby Mr.pacojack » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:05 am

I have only seen two of them. One of my hunting buddies has them and they are very timid very hard to catch. Stand back off the tree and tree hard dogs unless you get close to them. Their nose was med, I would say. I know this is not man made because he spoils his dogs. I read the papers on them once and on the 3rd gen they were high bred coonhounds. I know he has since culled one of them.
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:00 am

I had a Washburn x runnin walker a super nice track dog just no tree power maybe if I would have given him more time but as a 3 yr old just didnt have the tree power. later, Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
Idaho
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Idaho » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:32 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate your thoughts.

I was just curious to see some oppinions but I guess not many people on this board have hunted with the Washburn stuff.
"Vive in libertate aut morere!"
briarpatch
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby briarpatch » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:06 pm

Over the last about 10 years I have had , I think, 6 of the Washburn dogs. My experience has been that they turn out about 50/50. Mine have either made a very good dog or a cull....not much in between. Like Pacojack said, some have been just too shy and not interested in game. Having said that, I do believe that the ratio of good/bad is better than most. I have a 4 year old now that I raised. He is a good hound with no personality problems.

briarpatch
tiny
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby tiny » Thu May 13, 2010 2:33 am

My male is 1/2 washburn and I could not ask for a better hound. He was trained by Ricky Aurther before I bought him as a 9 month old pup. He is now 6 and amazing to watch. He will catch all his own game and does not rely on the pack. I can not say anthing bad about the line since I have a great dog out of it. He is 1/2 Washburn and 1/2 Nance. Ricky Aurther did an amazing job starting this dog wish he was still into hounds.
bluewalkerlionhound
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bluewalkerlionhound » Thu May 13, 2010 5:57 pm

tiny,just curious whats his name. i belive i had the littermate to your dog but he has since passed.must be one of the hammer dogs?
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Gerry use to catch a pile of bear with his dogs so I would think they would make good bear dogs.

Also know of some that made top dry ground lion dogs. Ive never owned one but know folks thats speak highly of them.
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Fri May 14, 2010 11:09 am

I'm on board with Big Mike. I have never owned a Washburn dog, but have hunted with some. I don't know about all of the crosses made, but the dogs that I have been around were first class dirt lion dogs. Mr Washburn has been in poor health for some time. I don't know much about him personally, but I have friends that do. If you need any other info that you don't get on the open forum, PM me. I will find out what I can for you.
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
the breeze
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby the breeze » Fri May 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I have a 1/2 washburn dog 1/2 neosha river razr bred dog. I hunt dirt and he may not be the coldest nosed dog but he gets it done. He really does the job on bear also. he is a one man dog. thats ok w/me. I have a tight bred nance female I would like to breed to a washburn male at some point.

Tiny is your dog papered?
Bring a compass, it's awkward having to eat your friends
tiny
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby tiny » Sat May 15, 2010 8:32 pm

bluewalkerlionhound, yes my males name is hammer one of Rickys. sorry to hear you lost a litter mate .what happened? I have a litter of pups on the ground right now.nance/washburn.

Return to “Treeing Walker Coonhounds”