Treeing Walker or Running Walker?

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
Beretta

Treeing Walker or Running Walker?

Postby Beretta » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:47 am

I recently got a Walker pup but am a bit confused. A guy from work told me he is a Running Walker and not a Treeing Walker. What's the difference? All I know is as soon as I brought him home and took him to the back yard and he went nuts. He slipped loose from my grip and began baying his fool head off. When he hit the bushes at the edge of the yard a red fox shot out the other side and the chase was on. My neighbor and I tracked him by 4 Wheeler for 5 miles before I caught him at the roots of an oak trying to dig.This was when he was 4 monthes old. Since then I took him out with some trained coondogs but he wouldn't have it. He did flush and piss off a wild hog though. Hopefully you guys can help me out here.
[/img]
Calkins
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Calkins » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:57 pm

doug
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby doug » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:02 pm

wiwalkerman
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wiwalkerman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:04 pm

cafoxhunter

running walker

Postby cafoxhunter » Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:35 pm

Beretta

Postby Beretta » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:22 pm

This afternoon a neighbor took me to an area we have here called the fox pen. Never even heard of it before but it's a fenced in area where the run Field Trials on occasion. He told me this is where people will bring their dogs to just run and get exercise. Which is cool since my dog is a restrained in the half acre big yard for running. He is too funny playing with my little brother's mini Daschaunds and has already got a path running all the way around the fenceline from his runs. Anyway we took him to this area and turned him loose to exercise and have fun.Once through the gate he went nose down to the ground and cast about for a moment at the edge of the woods and let out a nice long bay and took off. I tried to keep pace but after about 10 steps knew that was a waste. I could hear his call and sort of keep a bearing on him but man can that dog run. We kept closing in way too slowly but my neighbor replied,"Welcome to hunting with dogs." After about 5 minutes I heard another dog bay and then mine again. It wasn't long until we figured the 2 dogs had hit on the same trail and kept trying to follow.
After 20 mins of trekking through woods and swamp area we finally got in sight of the dogs. The Redbone was all over the tree and barking like crazy. My pup would look at the tree and bark a couple of times then cast about on the ground then look back up and bark. He never really treed but did stay there and circle the tree while the other dog stayed on the bobcat in the tree. The redbone's owner finally caught up to us and we got our hounds pulled off the tree and started back to the gate. As we walked he did offer some suggestions and gave me some people to talk who have the Running Walkers. He also introduced us to his half Beagle/half basset that he called a Bagel. He did recommend I run my pup with other dogs that had more training and decide on what I wanted him to hunt. He did say Yotes/foxes were a good idea but not for rabbits(shrug) he even suggested bobcats and deer as well.
Right now I will seek help here locally and see what these guys he told me about can offer helpwise.Thanks for all your input.I will also try to get more pics for you.As for his coloring he has a couple of small spots is all.Look almost like dirt spots on a white dog.
Larry Emery
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Larry Emery » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:24 am

Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Treeing Walker or Running Walker?

Postby Emily » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:25 am

Treeing Walkers and Running Walkers descend from the same breeding stock over a century ago. The treeing Walkers were selectively bred for their ability to run game up trees, typically raccoons, but also bobcats, bears and mountain lions. The running Walkers are bred to chase game that doesn't climb trees for refuge. Treeing Walkers are coonhounds and running walkers foxhounds. Your hound is more typical of foxhound coloring and behavior.
You may want to get a tracking collar for him so you can find him again when he gets out of hearing. While foxes and coyotes typically stay in their home ranges and run in large circles, occasionally they take off in a straight line for long distances. Sounds like you're enjoying him. How did you come to own him?
esp

Return to “Treeing Walker Coonhounds”