best walker breeding for bobcat dogs

Discuss pedigrees, post photos, and etc...
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: best walker breeding for bobcat dogs

Postby dwalton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Cobalt: You are right we got off the topic a ways. You know my feeling about what dogs make bobcat dogs. There is a huge difference in cat dogs and bobcat dogs as you know. Nance are some of the best lion dogs that I have seen. AS far as bobcat dogs I feel there is no breed that makes top bobcat dogs. There is a type of dog that does and it comes from a combination of dogs, where lies to problem in breeding them. Further more there is a lot of people that hunt bobcats but very few bobcat hunters . Someone that runs only bobcat and catches them is a bobcat hunter. I feel few people have seen a pack of well trained bobcat dogs work. That does not take away from the hunter that hunt multiple game and is successful. He may have a better dog that a straight bobcat dog but I don't think that dog will out preform a pack of straight bobcat dogs. So if the original question was what stain of treeing walkers make the best bobcat dogs there is not one. I would love to see one though. Again just my opinion. You may of noticed that I can be pretty hard headed at times for the shake of a good debate. Have a good day. Outlaw it is always up to the hunter. There are some really great hunters out there that have learn from others and by put their time in the woods. Then their are the ones that just think they know. The biggest gift we have is a open mind, what we do with it is what holds back. Dewey
Daniel Tremblay
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Daniel Tremblay » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Dewey, do you need I hug? Or perhaps just a friend?. This is the second post in a row you've ruined for no reason. Perhaps take a break from the computer or something bud.
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:56 pm

Dewey, no debating your points, they are correct. I think your points are directed towards what you call "bobcat hunters" and mine are towards people that want to hunt bobcat. My rationale is that 99% of everybody who asks questions about dogs for bobcat hunting are not trying to match the class of hounds and pack you aspire to, they just want to go have fun and experience some success, AND LEARN. The other 1% are already in the know. That is why I gear my answers in more general terms. When someone asks what kind of dog they need, my answers lean towards "it doesn't matter". It's like someone looking at a vehicle to build. You might suggest a 2013 Jaguar, I might suggest a 1990 Ford because in the end becoming a mechanic is really the issue.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:04 pm

Daniel: I think I am doing OK.I have a lot of very good friends. But what do I know. Thanks for the offer. Do people really take offense from what I say when I give my opinion? I am not very tack full I have been told and that I am hard on peoples ego. That is not my intention. I dislike ignorance and see a lot of advice and statements made on here that are different than my opinion. That does not make them right or wrong everyone has the right to choose. Just trying to get people to think. People just don't know what they don't know and they think they do.Which maybe I need to do more, think that is. Thanks for your input. Cobalt well said. To me I always try to reach perfection with my bobcat hunting and dogs most people are not interested in that. Thanks for the reminder. Dewey
slowandeasy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby slowandeasy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:57 pm

by slowandeasy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 am

dwalton wrote:The top producing bobcat hunters in the northwest have one thing in common, they have running dog blood in there dogs. It has been a while since I have seen a full treeing walker or a coon bred dog that would work for me. They work for a lot of other people though. There are running dogs with over 1/2 running dog in them that tree and locate good. It takes a track smart dog to be a good locator not a tree smart dog. Good locating running dogs that tree have been bred for close to 40 years in California. If you start with full running dogs crossed on treeing dogs you will 40 years behind the times. They have kept 1/2 to 5/8 running in them and they tree. The purpose of the running dog is the track style. The purpose of the tree dog is treeing. 30 to 50 years ago when the treeing walker were fresh from the running dogs you had that track ability. What I see now is quick treeing dogs, that run wide and do not have the physical ability to hold up to hard hunting day after day in the treeing walkers. Now I have not tried all of the different treeing walkers but I have tried a lot. I know what works for me and works for a lot of top cat hunters. I mean guys that catch a lot of bobcats and tree most that they jump anywhere they hunt in any conditions. Not guys that have excuses why they did not catch the cat. JC mention that it had been 17 years since he saw a dog run a cat like he saw Johns dog run one. I will bet that both of those dogs had running dog in them. As far as a young guy getting a dog to bobcat hunt with maybe he should hunt with some bobcat hunters before he got a dog to decide what would work for him. If he wants to coon hunt get a coon dog or bear hunt get a bear dog. Good dogs can do it all but you can not beat a specialized dog for what he was bred for. Just something to think about. If you like it, it catches game for you and it pleases you hunt it. Dewey

I agree with everything Dewey said in this post. However, I would like to add. That, my feeling about dogs that trail different game probably is different than most people. I think when it comes to trail and tree hounds. That the goal should be to breed hounds that have the desire to trail as fast as their nose will allow them.(Keyword FAST). With the intent to overtake the animal (CATCH) in the cases where the animal chooses not tree. Doing this in a manner that keeps constant pressure on the animal being trailed.(When nose runs out of sent mouth is SHUT). As a loose mouth off-track will destroy the consistent pressure needed to tree any game. And will also lead to many losses that are the dogs fault, and trainers fault for not recognizing the problem. And with technology today. There is no excuse for the latter. Years ago you had to be a dog man to get that figured out. In today's age. If you don't get it figured out. It is probably because you choose to tell tall tales about what happened with the race.

It also needs to stay treed no matter how long it takes for the owner to get to the tree. And as in 30 to 50 years ago, you will have to work with this type of dog to get it to tree proficiently. But normally a hound with all the described traits above(desire to over take CATCH). Most maybe not 100%, but most get the treeing part figured out. And I guess the only difference between what I'm saying. Is I expect this whether they are following mice or elephants, and everything in between.

Take care, Willie

I will try to say this as politely as possible. I didn't rummage around to hard to find anything that Dewey said that may have been offensive. But I am sure both of the above post could be taken the wrong way.

I will also say that reality is, the percentage of people that contribute their knowledge on this site. Might I add knowledge that is absolutely to anyone that is reading, beneficial. You could probably count on two hands. And before we go any further I would like to make it as clear as mud. That I absolutely do not count myself as one of the ones on those two hands. As although I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, it didn't take me long to figure out that probably 95% already have more answers than I could give them.

And although I do not agree with everything that Dewey Walton says. And I am sure that he doesn't agree with everything that I say. But I can guarantee you, that it would behoove you to at least pay half ass attention to some of the things that he and the other handful of people say.

As with everything in life. At least in the backwards way that I was brought up. No matter where you throw your hat in the ring. Whether at the workplace, ballfield, or yes, just running hounds. I thought the main idea was to be the best and always expect the best from those around you. Even if it is just hounds. But I realize it is becoming more evident in life. That the attitude is just to show up.

And I guess that's why. When the handful of people that have so much to offer speak. A large percentage treat their wisdom as noise, because they feel that they have done 98% of what is expected. Just show up! And this my friends is why when you open up the dog box, all you hear is noise and have not a clue what is taking place. And also, the same reason so many sorry pups are born. Maybe some, should try and put some old-fashioned attitudes in place. And try and do the best they absolutely can in life no matter what they are undertaking.

However, I guess I'll go find something that I can do half assed. So that the authorities can rip me a new a whole. But just a little food for thought. Continue to run off people like Dewy and other people like him. And you will be left with a handful of nothing. But I'm sure you will be proud, because someone will give you a trophy anyway.

Take care, Willie
Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty
Warner5
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Warner5 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I think some people have a hard time getting this running/treeing thing because they havent had the opportunity or desire to raise an entire litter of pups, from pups to finished dog. A hunter can breed 2 dogs bred heavy with tree blood, with some running dog back in the family tree. Once those pups reach a year or 2 old, a hunter has seen what he's working with. With a little luck a couple of the pups will show track ability much like a running type dog, but have enough since to realise when the track has ended. Not to just tree to quickly but show patience, still trying to advance the track. In the end, the tree was located by the dog looking to advance the track. In my area a dog like this will catch it's own cats. It's what I'm looking for. Thank you. John.

I'd like to comment on what Willie just said, he's 100% right. 2nd place sucks. As hound hunters we need to find good from alot of bad sometimes. I like reading Deweys posts, I always take something from them. Wether I like it or not. I think its funny how we always discuss dogs, Dogs are just a tool. The guy behind the dogs is really where its at. John.
Last edited by Warner5 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rowland-Walkers
Unreal_tk
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Unreal_tk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:29 pm

Getting back on topic, I know of some house bred dogs that know how to do it. I think cobalt is right, a tree dog probably would be better for a beginner.
bluewalkers
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bluewalkers » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:17 pm

thanks everyone for the info. wasnt meaning walker coon dogs just didn't see any better place to ask this question then on this thread. im looking for a good bloodline of walkers that have the majority of desired traits, not foolish enough to think that one line has everything. just wanting a good all around line that is pretty consistant. thinking i could shave a lot off the learning curve by asking people who have done the trial and error on the different lines of walkers. appreciate all the help and info
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:33 am

There is no one breed or strain that is perfect and yes the handler is a tool in the shed and yes a lot of the tools will all serve a purpose and can maybe get the job done but I will choose the dewalt over the chicago why because its been proven. So do some home work and research and go from there. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:39 am

I think the problems arise with peoples definition of " getn the job done"
slowandeasy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby slowandeasy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 am

:? :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :wink: :wink:

Take care, Willie
Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty
Mr.pacojack
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000463480608

Postby Mr.pacojack » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 am

Glad I read this post. Now I know I need different dogs to run and catch a bobcat. :lol:
LIGHTNING RIDGE KENNELS
Walker breeding at it's best
Used to Catch Big Game
Our choice is as simple as Black and White
Devin Staker
970-756-5998
http://www.forum.workingdogsworldwide.com/
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby twist » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 am

Devin, I think them old tree dogs of your do just fine!Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:34 pm

This seems to be a hot topic. There are a couple of things that I see or think about bobcat hunting and human nature. A lion dog is not a bobcat dog yes it can catch both. Different dogs are better for different ares and styles of hunting. We all have are preference as to what type of dog we hunt. Most people have not hunted a lot of different types of dogs on game. There is lot of differences in the amount of experience different people have. We have different measures as to what is acceptable in a dog. We all make judgement without knowing what is so. We all are narrow minded. Andy , Todd and the guys that hunt only a few months out of the year on bobcat have to have good dogs to get the job done. Here we hunt different and a different type of dog, just as they do in the southeast, that does not make one better or worse. Just different. I could not do well out here only working my dogs a few months out of the year. It takes a different type of dog to do well hunting weekends or just a few months. WE all have the perfect dogs. If we would be honest with each other and tell exactly how a dog works and what he does it would a lot easier to understand another mans type of dog. I look at the faults of my dogs more than the pluses. Because I don't need to change what works, I need to change what does not work. My dogs have holes in them just as all dogs do. I say my dogs I did not invent them or start them as a breed I just hunt them. I am always looking for something better. I just spent time and money on a trip to Arkansas and Texas looking for something better knowing that those dogs are not perfect , but when you see 15 dogs drive a bobcat track fast and hard in a tight group, not off barking on a lose, sticking tight on a track, perfect conformation, being able to hunt morning and night day after day i want some of that. They are not good tree dogs ,so they are not perfect. We all have egos, to me that is a good thing. It cause us to strive to do better. Where egos get in the way is when we allow what someone says or does to affect our ego. No one has the power to hurt or anger you by what they say or do. What we make it mean does that, it comes from within. I try to be adjective when I look at a dog. Does that mean that I can be not always. I have hunted a lot of different types of dogs always looking for a better one or traits that I want in a dog. I may step on people toes sometimes. I apologize to those that I need to and apologize to those that my get stepped on in the future. It's not personal. I hope someone got a little out of this. It took a hole pot of coffee this morning to get this typed. Good hunting to all. Dewey
cobalt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby cobalt » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 pm

Well said.

Return to “Treeing Walker Coonhounds”