The New 7th Coonhound Breed:

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: The New 7th Coonhound Breed:

Postby pegleg » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:04 am

pretty silent? I've seen leps used on a wide variety of game myself with some good results. often it seems like people use them similar to those that add a Airedale to their pack. although the gamble on trailing ability is more of a sure thing with the leps then the Airedales no offense to the terrier guys but honestly the ones I've hunted behind were mostly bay dogs
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:35 am

Doogie- The bucket of popcorn almost made me want to like you again. That was actually funny.

Machias- I don't think things have changed any more than they were going to already. The Jug dog was changing things anyway. The new ones are not for everybody but it seems more folks like them. There are really not that many people turning in Leopards at the hunts but there are a few. I don't think that suprises anyone. Most of the Leopard guys are hunting for fun. To me it's worked out just like it should have. All of the Leopard guys just have a few more things they can do with their dogs now.

There are still a few people out there that think there are two breeds now but not much has changed yet but it's only been two and a half years. Heck, I've got the "newest dogs in the breed and they are still around 12% Nimrod.

It seems like the only place that there is still a lot of conversation about Leopards these days is on the UKC message board. The Leopards are not getting talked about nearly as much here or at the Coondawgs site.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:42 am

Thanks Dan for the response. So have puppy sales increased or stayed about the same? I see the Leopard Hounds are pretty popular on the UKC site, has that equated to a brisk business in UKC registrations? Have you seen a change in the hunting and handling of the Leopard hounds compared to the old style Leopard Curs or are they still hunting and handling about the same? I have heard the line of dogs your running and some other folks are turning out to be very good cat dogs. Thanks again for the conversation on these dogs.
Last edited by Machias on Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Moyer
Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Dan McDonough » Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:03 am

Pup sales have slowed down from what I see on the UKC website. I've done a few less breedings than last year so I didn't really notice it here. A few of the bandwagon jumpers have seemed to have gotten back off the wagon. I think that the only good thing about the economy being slow is that it kept things from going too overboard.
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
wanapasaki
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby wanapasaki » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:27 am

Somebody get this man a leopard hound... LOL :mrgreen:
Get'em up there boys!
halfbreed
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby halfbreed » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:19 pm

never could find me a true leapord hound so i had to breed my own :D napoa and tulula half catahoula and a runnintreein walker cross then we have gomer 1/2 cat 1/4 walker 1/4 plott i simpley love this cross use them on hogs with great success .
hattak at ofi pisa
icehole
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby icehole » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:46 pm

I would like to have a pup, if the chance ever arises of one coming through western Co.

Return to “Cur Dogs”