New pups

Share your hunts and discuss your dogs
Gray Fox
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Gray Fox » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:45 pm

:D Dan,
We haven't changed the name and will not. Our dogs are "American Leopard Curs" or "Leopard Curs". I politely correct anyone referring to my dogs as "hounds".
UKC started registering Leopard Curs a few years ago. They have relisted them as hounds. There are a lot of Leopard Cur fanciers who have nothing to do with UKC and are dead set against calling them "hounds". Our registration office will not change the name. The only other thing they have been called, at least officially, :wink: was Leopard Tree Dogs. That was OK, but is past history.
Call your dogs Leopard Curs; that is what they are. :D
"The scenery never changes, except for the lead dog."
MIcurhunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby MIcurhunter » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:06 pm

Leopard Curs is what they will always be, the UKC wanted the name change to get more participation in the coonhound events. Cur and feist participation is way down in the UKC. It all comes down to making money. I am glad to see the ALCBA Registry is not changing the name, the way dogs have to be proven to breed and register litters is one of the biggest reasons why the leopard cur is where it is today as far as ability. I fully support Grayfox and all the people who register their dogs in the ALCBA. The debate about them being hounds and stuff will go on and on. What you choose to call your dogs and who you register with is entirely up to you. I just hope that the dogs that I have read so much about and their abilities remain true to what they were developed for. I clearly think the leopard cur is an outstanding breed and will prosper and grow with the beliefs that are being passed on by the ALCBA. Those are some good looking pups, if I lived alot closer i would consider getting one.

Grayfox, how is the dog you got from DAn McDonough doing for you?
Curt Channells
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:29 pm

i agree.
do you realize how much better off ALL breeds would be if they had to prove it in the field to be registered. not just curs & hounds but everything, terriers, sighthounds, stockdogs & sleddogs. you could pretty much get what you need by going to the nearest breeder of the type/breed you need & KNOW there is a great chance of the pup turning out exactly as you need.
Gray Fox
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Gray Fox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:11 am

:D MIcurhunter...The young dog I got from Dan is a very good one. By the time he was 11 months old, he was like a 5-year old and several thought I was "pulling their leg" when I told them he was only 11 months old. He is a good rig dog, excellent strike dog, tough as nails and will run hard every day without a letup. He can really cold trail and will go looking for a rigged track...he either finds it or I call him back. He is doing everything well. I ran in the lavas mostly this past season here and he was never sore-footed. he handles the best...very quick to respond...no hesitation. He is a very talented dog, but he will eventually be eating someone else's feed. He looks noticeably out of place here...too houndy...more ear...not enough hair and he has characteristics I will not tolerate. I love him, but I don't like him. (He can't always keep his mouth shut when you are checking a track with another dog or casting another while he is on the box.) Several have tried to buy him and someone will get him as soon as I have him chewed on or chased by a real bad bear. He has been on over 50 so far and done extremely well, but the real test is still ahead. Whether he passes my test or not, I will be selling him, but not until I know for sure. I don't think he will "whip out", but I have to see how close he will stay after being on a real rough bear for a few hours. He is a cat-crazy sucker and will make a terrific cat dog...lion or bobcat. I wanted to see if these Clark-bred dogs had enough grit to be a real bear dog and you really don't know that until they have been on some rough ones.
MIcurhunter
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby MIcurhunter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:20 am

Thanks, Grayfox. Was wondering how he was turning out. Will be curious to see how he does handle a mean one. I have postponed my leopard search until the spring. I have some things that I have to get done first and then I can devote the time in raising and training a new leopard. Hope you have a good bear season.
Curt Channells
slidecreekdan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Pups

Postby slidecreekdan » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:31 pm

Dan McDonough
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

kids...

Postby Dan McDonough » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:47 pm

In that cross most of the dogs were the same. It is like that kid in your neighborhood you might remember from growing up. If your buddies had to rumble with the kids from the other side of town you'd darn sure want him along. When it came to who you were going to hang out with and play ball, you might want to go over to the quiet kids house first because the other one is a spaz!

They calm down when they get older or are hunted down hard but the first couple of years can test your patients. Other than that, they seem pretty nice.

Randy, I havn't watched the news lately but I caught something two days ago that made me think that those fires have got another good chuck of your hunting area all burnt out. Is every thing alright over there? I hope so.

Dan
I am.

Repeal the 19th Amendment.
Gray Fox
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Gray Fox » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:36 pm

:D No fires real close, but we have smoke again. It is much less again this morning. It has burnt up a lot of good hunting territory. :cry:
1hogwild
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 1hogwild » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm

1hogwild
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 1hogwild » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:22 pm

Return to “Cur Dogs”