Bear Recipes??

Feel free to Drop your favorite Recipe here.
wackysam16
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Bear Recipes??

Postby wackysam16 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Anybody got some good bear recipes the only way iv'e had it is fried with salt and pepper and cooked in a stew the were delicious both ways but i want to try something new. Any ideas would be great. I guess deer recipes would be good to the only way i have had that is fried.
Arkansas Frog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Bear Recipes??

Postby Arkansas Frog » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:15 pm

roll the ham steaks in flour, put hand full of bear grease in the pan, when it gets hot fry it, eat on whole wheat bread[sandwich] that is the way we did it in the mountains.
you can hunt all day on that.
Frog
gbear1
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby gbear1 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:45 pm

It is great smoked in mesquite/hickory, with any dry rub for brisket.
Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats. H.L. Mencken
IDbluecat
Facebook ID: 0

Postby IDbluecat » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:42 pm

We have cooked bear much the same as deer and elk and all have been good. The best I have had was a bear roast (ham) cooked in beer brine in the dutch oven. Dad marinades the ham in the beer and spices, then pours the whole mixture in a 12 Qt dutch with hardwood coals. Cook the whole mix for about 2 hours and you have a very tasty dinner.
Was always told the only thing that matters lies from the neck up. Unless it's a walker dog, then there's no hope!
Gritty dogs

Postby Gritty dogs » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:55 am

My family has hunted bear for a lot of years and our favorite way is to corn it!! If you like corned beef you will like corned bear!!
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:45 pm

I'm with smoking it all day with a dry rub and cloves of garlic inserted into the meat. Just like a pork loin.
I'm betting corning it would taste good too. But I've never tried that
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:24 pm

If you get an older bear that is pretty lean, you can still make some good eating out of it. I don't trim any fat of them to start with and I cut them into roasts or chunks and put them in the pressure cooker with garlic, red wine vinegar, a little soy sauce and beer if you have any left. Run it thru one cycle in a Presto pot, and then take it out and you should be able to pull the meat right apart and it will still be moist if you don't let it cook dry. Pull the meat just like pulled pork, and put it in the slow cooker crock pot with your favorite sauce and just let it cook slow and low. It will be tender, and be even better than most pulled pork. It is more like moist tender brisket. Tacos, sandwiches, or whatever you like.

I make up a vinegar slaw, and then put some of the meat, slaw, and a little creamy jalapeno sauce on a fresh tortilla, and you got some good eating!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:34 pm

Mike you're talking me in to snagging some more bear meat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:24 pm

Here is one that hasn't failed us yet. Can't be any simpler and has been delicious each time we have used it.
Clean your bear roast up, trim off the fat and anything else that doesn't need to be there so it looks nice and clean.
Put it in a slow cooker (here is where it seems like this gets crazy but the results will speak for itself). Get a pack of "Au Jus" and one of "Ranch" dressing. These are in the gravy mixes for the Au Jus perhaps and the Ranch is with the salad dressing, depending on which store you are in. These are packages of DRY mix. Pour these packages over the top of the bear roast, don't rub it in or anything. DON'T add any water the packages will make their own broth as it cooks. Start the slow cooker on high and about half way through the cooking time (depending on roast size and your personal cooker I can't give an exact time) turn on low and cook till it is done and it will practically fall apart and slice easily. Sounds too easy to work but is delicious. Gook luck and good chowing down.

Return to “POORBOYS Recipes! and anyone else that has a good recipe!”