smoked salmon

Feel free to Drop your favorite Recipe here.
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

smoked salmon

Postby ferjr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:40 am

i was wanting to try smoking some salmon and was wondering if any of you guys would be kind enough to help me out. i need to know how to make a brine for the fillets to soak in, how long do i soak them for, and how long do i smoke them for. i have a bradley electric smoker, the kind that takes the wood bisqutes. any info that you guys can provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Frank Reinhardt.
Glen
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002648123240

Re: smoked salmon

Postby Glen » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:36 am

I use high mountain brand wild river trout brine mix and soak it for at least 24 hours, I like to keep my meat as thin as possible so that the brine soaks thoroghly.
I like to smoke it with alderwood for about two hours and then keep it in the smoker for an additional four or five hours with heat only. About two hundred degrees.
Turns out really good.
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ferjr » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:12 am

thanks Glen, where do they sell that high mountain brand wild river trout brine? i sure would like to try it.
POORBOY
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby POORBOY » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:37 am

Leopard Cur Message Board
www.voy.com/147738/
Longspring
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Longspring » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:24 am

Let us know how it turns out ferjr . I have a few salmon in the freezer and just stocked up on steelies this weekend . You can do mine if it turns out . :beer
"Well ........go forward" -Tom Lewis
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ferjr » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:07 am

sounds good, will be trying it this weekend.
HuntingNevada

Postby HuntingNevada » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Frank,
Here is another way of doing it that is super simple. Only mistake I made is sharing it with my friends now they are always asking for another batch.
Rinse off salmon fillets and lay them skin down on Pyrex.
Cover them with rock salt.
Add another layer of brown sugar, cover with Saran wrap and put in to the fridge overnite.
Rinse them off lightly one hour before you plan on putting them on the smoker.
Sprinkle lemon pepper on them and let glaze on the counter during that hour.
Put them in the smoker on a low heat 120-140. It depends on your smoker how long it takes with outside temp and insulation value of your smoker. My little chief takes at least 10 hours since I cannot adjust the temp and it has thin walls but my Cookshack does it in about 5-6 hours.
I use Alder and about 30 minutes before it is ready to come out I drizzle honey over the meat as well. The honey part is an option as it might not sound good to you but you should definitely try it once as we all love it.
One more little recipe to try with the salmon. Get a Ritz cracker, spread a little cream cheese ( I use the onion and chive) spoon 10 or so capers on to that and add a chunk of salmon. Makes for an awesome horsd'ouever
ferjr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby ferjr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:57 pm

Return to “POORBOYS Recipes! and anyone else that has a good recipe!”