montana bear hunting with hounds

Talk about Bear Hunting
Ringo
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

montana bear hunting with hounds

Postby Ringo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:18 pm

Is there anyone in montana still trying to get a bear season with hounds? Just curious. I dont understand why every state or province surrounding us can run bears if it is truely because of the grizzly we cant.
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: montana bear hunting with hounds

Postby kordog » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:17 pm

i have a question that may or may not help you . do grizzlys smell the same as blackbear to a dog ,because being a different species of bear i would think they smell different this is all speculation on my part,but a hound running them would be no different than running off game . if this could be proven then their would be no basis for not being able to run blackbear there.i dont know your laws either so i dont know what reasoning is behind the law.we have linx here in maine which we cant run ,but it doesnt interfere with bobcat hunting.
Ringo
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Ringo » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Ya i agree I was just mainly trying to see if there were any Montanans out there still trying to push bear hunting and if there was anything a guy could do to help.
bob baldwin jr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby bob baldwin jr » Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:37 pm

Kordog: There are guys in BC that do chase Grizzly with their hounds . I bet they don't TREE very often though :lol: I would tend to think also that once bayed it could get very WESTERN
Lost River
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Lost River » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:02 am

For your viewing enjoyment.

Ringo, it's been a few years since I have heard anyone approach the subject. Currenty it is a state law that doesn't allow pursuit of biggame with hounds, but mountain lion are listed. Might be something we can get going. At least a "study" season or training season where we can gather data for the fish and game.
shoot4fur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby shoot4fur » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:17 am

thats cool right there :D
Ringo
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Ringo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:22 am

YA thats some good footage . Im interested for sure. Whats a guy got to do to get started .I know theres other houndsmen in the state that have try pushing this issue.
sheimer
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby sheimer » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:09 am

I started a post about this a year or two ago. Lots of people showed intrest. Several contacted the FWP and their local Reps in Helena. I visited with my local State rep and he was voted out this last election. I spoke with the FWP warden and biologist and they both were not too hip on the subject. It is something that would have to go through the Legislature to get changed. I guess you could say I swung and missed.

I still think it's a great idea, and I'm willing to write and keep after it. I am afraid it's not going to be accepted with open arms to say the least. If there is anything I can do for ya, just let me know.

Scott
Ringo
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Ringo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:24 am

Well I guess I aint got a clue where to start or what to do. I just think its stupid that we arent aloud to run bears here when I personaly think it would be a way better way to manage bears and it would create alot more revenue for the fish and game not that they really need it. I guess I just dont understand why they are allowed to do this almost every other state surrounding and we cant. If there is something I could do to help I would I guess I need to be pointed in a direction cause I dont mind calling or emailing and harassing FWP or anyone else. So I say we keep trying and let me know what I can do to help. I know alot houndsmen and other people that would be willing to help.
Ringo
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Ringo » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:40 am

I really think we need to be pushing for more hunting instead of letting them shut down and restrict us even more
ol'guy
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby ol'guy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Well to keep hunting is like a war,to keep going &win you want a tremendous offense
and a strong defense ,say they want to take away one week turn around &ask for 3
additional weeks,you both know you are not going to win but what the hell nothing ventured nothing gained
kordog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby kordog » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:39 pm

jbc67
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby jbc67 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:00 am

I think the best way to get a politician, state senator, or house member on our side is to help with reelection. Last year I helped a local representative with his election. I don't even live in his district (I live in the neighboring one), but that didn't seem to matter. A couple local guys and I agreed take a list of phone numbers and make calls at nights after work--so he provided us with the phone numbers, and some talking points and openers. It didn't require much brain-work. Just before the election, we made the calls, helped put up signs, and he won by a landslide (it was only a couple of nights--who knows how much we actually helped, but he was sure appreciative and even made a bunch of calls for us to FWP committee members during the last effort to reclassify the lion as a predator and take away quotas).

I'll bet that if a group of houndsmen was willing to help some members of the Fish Wildlife and Parks committee get re-elected then they'd sure be appreciative. Getting a law like this beyond the FWP committee would be the first and biggest obstacle. Then a little voiced support from multiple sportsmen and from a livestock association or two might go a long way during a floor debate just before a vote.
catdogs
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100001341185120

Postby catdogs » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:56 am

It'll never happen. Too many Montana houndsman opposed to it, including myself. This state would get over run with hound doggers if it were legal. As it is now, it keeps the numbers down and we can go to ID or UT and run there...
Once you go black, you'll never go back! Duncan big game Black and Tans.
Trueblue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Trueblue » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 pm

Cody,that comment of yours doesn't seem quite fair.You don't want anymore people coming to your state to run dogs but it is ok for you to go and increase the crowd in other states ?

Return to “Bear Hunting”