13 month old not finishing tracks

Talk about Bear Hunting
coyotesrus
Facebook ID: 0

13 month old not finishing tracks

Postby coyotesrus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:29 am

Ok so I'm relatively new to the running dog and hound dog world. I've had coyote dogs for 12 years and been bear hunting with dogs for 4 years. I've got a13 month old dog that's taken up to a 10 hour old track off the baits like a pro but then somewhere about 3 miles later the dogs will make a small loss and he literally turns around and comes back to where he started. He came back 4 out of 5 times I turned him out this last weekend. The 1 other time he ran with 2 other dogs 5 miles and treed the bear for 20 min. Then one of the dogs left the tree. So he left and came all the way back. We hunt real big rough sections so can't get to the tree sometimes for an hour. Anyway any advice from this awesome website would be greatly appreciated. He doesn't bark a lick that I know of coming back.(Lack of confidence?)
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Re: 13 month old not finishing tracks

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:44 am

that small loss could easily be making contact with the bear. there are a lot of dogs that won't stay with a bear alone at that age. This would make a little more sense. Bears usually don't put a lot of miles on this time of year if the berries are good. As far as treeing you may need better tree power to keep him there.I would not run him with the one that left the tree, in fact if that one dog makes it a habit I would cull and run your dog with better hounds.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
coyotesrus

Postby coyotesrus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:43 pm

Thanks for the response. I agree with everything you said. As far as the better dogs go we are doing everything we can do to better our pack. We are in real bad shape on good tree dogs. But we still tree at least one bear a day most of the time. Guess we will just keep plugging away. Still having loads of fun treeing bears. Thanks again
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:38 pm

If you know he's quiting and back tracking maybe correct him, make him turn back around and stick with the other dogs. Especially at the tree. As soon as he starts to mill around or get more than a few yards away, shock him.Watch that dog on GPS like glue. I mean the second he turns around, bump him before the dogs leave him to far. Really can't hurt anything if he won't stay there anyways. I was helping someone with a dog that did the same thing. Shocked her and she'd go stay with the other dogs for "protection" at the tree. She wasn't doing any good running off and dragging his other pups with her. They learn more by sitting there at the tree doing nothing, than over and over again reinforcing the leaving behavior. Most dogs aren't stupid they learn real fast the correction is for back tracking or leaving and has nothing to do with the animal they are after. Cause in their minds they have already quit anyways. I won't keep a dog that quits, so really can't tell you if you'll ever train it out of them. I feel like its an issue of heart, and thats something that cant be trained.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:00 pm

I was getting a little frustrated at a dog for doing the same thing at 15 months. Just ignored it as far as discipline but got no praise. Once he hit his independent age he was all in. Each dog is different, be cautious with the electric. The dog needs to know why he's getting it and the correct action to take to eliminate the shock.
coyotesrus

Postby coyotesrus » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks everybody For your help I will definitely take all the advice I can get. I think I'm going to try to be patient with him,so far not screwing up any other dogs just himself.I know guys would maybe cull him but I keep only 4 dogs at a time. Redwood Kennels I think your going to have pups for sale wondered if you ever have any coming to wisconsin. Also how they would handle swamp type terrain. Thanks Shawn

Return to “Bear Hunting”