Beware the novice

Talk about Bear Hunting
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Beware the novice

Postby bowieknife50 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:28 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a PSA to never let an inexperienced hunter call a bear dead or let other people unleash your dogs. One of mine got bit square in the face by a dead bear last week. Praise God he came out just a bit scratched up, it could have been so much worse. The one blessing is that his first bite was fairly minor and he hopefully has more respect for the business end.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
rickyfarrell10
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Beware the novice

Postby rickyfarrell10 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:24 pm

I always put a follow up shot point blank In the head before we unleash any dogs. Have had the same thing happen on a dead bear. We had a good early season. We ended up killing 4 out of the three days we was able to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:30 pm

We typically give them a minute and the check the eyelid with the barrel for any movement. If it's still looking lively then we'll put one in the neck to save the skull. If the hunter botches the shot and it comes out wild, then it will get a little western.

If by some weird occurrence it runs off, give it a minute and have one guy follow blood and another at the ready watching for ahead movement. Nearly every time I've seen this(which is rare) the bear is piled up just out of sight. Now if it does happen to run off like nothing happened but there is blood, just put a couple dogs that aren't real aggressive and be ready to get in when it catches. Less dogs is better in this scenario.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
rickyfarrell10
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rickyfarrell10 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:07 pm

Yeah I had a guy shoot the bear before I could get there with leads. He had a shotgun and beat the bear down the tree so he could get a good shot. Well it wasn’t a good shot. It got real western got a few dogs with holes. Needless to say that idiot doesn’t hunt with us anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Bear Hunting”