Trail Cameras

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Trail Cameras

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 pm

Your thoughts on the ethics of using trail cameras that send the pictures to your phone or computer?
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
tmalone
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Trail Cameras

Postby tmalone » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:14 pm

THEY WORK PRETTY GOOD FOR CATCHING TRESPASSERS ,IT WILL BE INTERESTING WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT THEM,WE USE THEM ON BEAR BAITS SAVES A LOT OF GAS MONEY!!
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:27 am

At first after reading your question my first thought was I think it’s wrong, but before replying I ran a few other things through my head . Now how many times has someone told us about seeing a track or the location of a kill is this the same or different ? To me it’s different to some it may be the same. Guess it’s just what technology has done to are sport. I think to many have forgotten the thrill of the hunt and are caught up in the catch now a days and missing out on what I fill is the best part of what we do. Will I be setting trail cams any time soon No, will I think any less of someone that does No.
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
rum3002576
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rum3002576 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:29 pm

I love them and use them year round. Saves me from going in and out of my spots checking cameras.
Gritty dogs

Postby Gritty dogs » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:29 pm

I think it's a lazy way to hunt!! What happened to the challenge? Now its a camera telling you the time the animal is going to be there. Next they will put a camera in the tracking collars so you don't even have to go to the tree! Seems like every where you go you are recorded by something a drone or a cell phone 20 years ago people didn't just video and take pictures of other people if they did you would break their nose but now you don't even know your being filmed till you see your self on you tube! So in my opinion if you need a camera to tell you when and where to be there like the deer comes in at 7:30 so you have to get in your stand at 7:00 kill the deer at 7:35 and get back home are you really a hunter? Sure seems like you don't want to spend much time in the woods!
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:24 am

I don't think there is anything unethical about them, I think everybody should do what they want, and not pass judgement on other people and tell other people how they should do things. It seems to be a huge problem we have here in CA of people who want to push their beliefs and opinions on everyone else. I think we should go away from that. Game cams do give you an advantage but who cares you could say that about almost every tool we use for hunting. Its just another resource you can choose to use or not. To each their own. Then again I am libertarian when it comes to hunting.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:08 pm

lol wow all the way from trail cameras to youtube Gritty dogs thats a stretch ....

How about how outfitters can use them to set up a grid.. no more busting rocks and riding the country for 10 days trying to find a good track? I can sure see how if you are getting $4,000.00 or so for a lion that they would be very advantageous..

Now I have to confess I have used some in the past .. not for monetary gain but for helping getting the hounds going .. I do not have any of the ones up that send a picture to my computer now .. not real sure if I will ever use them again.. I guess in my old age I am enjoying the process more and the challenge of doing it the old fashion way. And let me tell you our here it is a challenge lol
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Gritty dogs

Postby Gritty dogs » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:37 pm

I guess everyone is raised and taught to hunt in different ways. I was taught to get out and do the work put the time in and earn the right to have the opportunity to hunt the animal. That is what makes it hunting not killing I know lots of people use them but all this technology seems to get us further and further from what hunting is! To me it's time in the woods with dogs or my kids or both looking and learning not watching tv and checking my phone to see if something moved to run out and turn dogs on or shoot at a bait. I spend alot of time in the woods with my dog some days are good and some are not but we put the miles and hours in to find a track to run and when we do i guess it feels like we earned the right to pursue it. I guess if you need trail camrea to get your dogs on game then they are about as good of hunters as the owners! Merry Christmas!!
ridgerunners
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby ridgerunners » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:58 pm

I feel somewhat the same wayGritty. But man has always progressed. We are always moving forward some good some bad . I grew up in the woods fishing and hunting most everyday of my life . I have special skills that are only taught by being in the woods. It looks like there is going to be a new way of hunting coming in the future and we just can’t stop it! Everything from hunting clothing to tree stands ! And the hunting and fishing skills are going to be way different . Can you imagine the men 150 years ago that hunted and fished this land , without Gortex , Hi power spotscopes, Fish finders, high-rise deer stands, 300 ultra mag, cell phone, and the best invention yet for hounds man The Alpha! Shoot bow hunting is not even bow hunting anymore muzzleloader hunting is not muzzleloading hunting and the list goes on. I’m just glad I live in the United States so I can still enjoy some of the things I really love to do !! Merry Christmas everybody .... Timothy Morgan
Bon Plott
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: RE: Re: Trail Cameras

Postby Bon Plott » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:41 pm

OWZ

Postby OWZ » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:34 am

Part of the thrill of heading out into the great wide open is the unknown!
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:36 am

Before anyone casts stones, How many use a GPS tracking unit. Or before that a telemetry unit. Pretty sure that a famous lion hunter once said that the best tool to find a lion was his telephone. Or another of the extra famous ones who helped develop the shocking collar.

Point being that we've all moved beyond launching spears at mastodons. And most of those old timers would have used whatever legal advantage they could. If you want to go more traditional, go for it if that's what floats your boat. I'm not gonna rag on some normal dude working his 40 who wants to use a trail cam when someone else who might be able to hunt everyday calls it an unfair advantage. Besides how many out there have actually used much technology. It ain't the Shangri-la of instant success. You usually need to bring along a 12 year old Asian kid to set up and run all this crap and you'd still get a thousand pictures of only some branches moving.

Sometimes the old stuff works best, sometimes the new. The more tricks in your bag the better your odds. We all got less time and less spots to hunt and that probably ain't gonna change, so be your own moral police and just get out there and enjoy the outdoors with the old mutts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby SASS » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:49 am

People hunt different ways. Your way may be a great way to do it for you and maybe for many others but not for everyone. This kind of reminds me of how some of the bow hunters say the rifle hunters aren't real hunters and how a lot of both of them say the same about hound hunters. I think we should just be okay with people doing things differently and all still stick together.

The great thing about these trail cameras is that they do not force you to use them.
Gritty dogs

Postby Gritty dogs » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:32 am

I see a lot of responses about the technology that is out there but my alpha doesn't tell me when and where the animal will be standing! There is plenty of stuff out there that has changed hunting improved optics's faster bows long range rifles but you have to be holding it standing in the woods to use it not on your couch eating chips watching foot ball! Just like most of the guys on here i work all week also but my weekends and time off and evenings are spent with my dogs and family in the woods. I guess when hunting gets in the way of my life i will get game cameras and start golfing then my camera can message my phone and tell me when to go to the woods!
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:23 pm

Gritty,

With good dogs an alpha or astro is more of an advantage than a trail camera, bar none. You are given the info of where the hunt is headed and the dogs rarely get out of pocket on you. You know where you have to go locate the chase. And even the last place the chase was. It's the same advantage a tracking box gave over listenening but you get that info much quicker.

Your responses tell me that you've never used cameras much. They don't tell you where a critter will be but more of where it was and when. It's just another piece of information that you can use or not use. And that is when they work correctly. We set one up on a bait a dozen years ago and had a lunker bear set up shop. We left him alone all year and he visited every single day for 64 days straight, two days before season started he vanished to never be seen again. Point being I've seen many critters pull those types of tricks and confirm that nothing is a sure thing when it comes to hunting.

The cell phone ones do give you a quick response but you're still gonna need a dog that can catch that track. Now it might take a lesser dog than before but you could also be messing around with this critter when you would have found another better one by other methods. Heck I knew guys 25 years ago that use to tie off tracking collars at the bear baits and when it was hit, it'd pull the magnet. They'd sit around the campfire bsin and do a quick sweep with the tracker every half hour to check for a bait hit.

Good luck hunting

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Return to “Lion Hunting”