Pup quitting jumped track?

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Willyrockhill
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Pup quitting jumped track?

Postby Willyrockhill » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:22 pm

I have a year and a half old pup that is turning out to be an awesome bobcat dog. Truck to tree he will start and finish a bobcat track by himself and he has cought several lately. The problem is he will come back on a lion track. He will start a track and run it fine but will all of a sudden just come back and acts like he doesn't want anything to do with it. It's almost like he quits at the jump. He will usually go again if there are more dogs on it but the problem is he runs the track so fast it usually takes the other dogs a while to catch up to where he left the track. Any help would be greatly appreciated because it's messing with mine mind. Thanks
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Pup quitting jumped track?

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Anyone have an answer for this guy? I'm just curious.. I know I've had some dogs with bears do this
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:41 pm

I am like Brett I have seen this plenty on bear.

sounds like a whale of a pup, and I would seriously think about keeping him straight on bobbers thru this season and walking him in on a leash to a few lion trees, and tying him back.

1- 1/2 is still pretty young and all dogs mature at a different rate. Some very smart young dogs can get a little boogered by the smell of a big rank lion right off the bat, and if he is that fast it is possible he might have run right up the poop chute of a lion with no other dogs to help him and got a scare. I bet he will come out of it with a little more maturity but run him on those bobcats and lead him in on a few more lions. Put him up and let him mature a bit and I bet you will have a combo dog next year that will turn your buddies green with envy.

Good luck!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Willyrockhill
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Willyrockhill » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Thanks for the replies fellas. My first thought was maybe he just figured they were more than he could handle by himself. I've seen similar issues with bears but never with a lion. It's got me confused I know that. Its just weird he will smoke the track like he does but then just quit it.
Old dog
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Old dog » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:56 am

sounds like he caught a few nasty ones maybe off a kill by him self. maybe got crap scared out of him. seen this many times with the fast quiet type of dog.jmo
no mater if you think you can or you think you cant,, you are probably rite.
Willyrockhill
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Willyrockhill » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:59 pm

That would make sense for sure. I've just never seen it on a lion. I'm going to try not to worry about it. If I were smart I would never put him on another lion track. He has the potential to be a superstar Bob dog. Thanks for the reply
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:48 pm

Not a bad idea, as I am sure you have noticed people are always looking for a straight bobcat dog......
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Bluedog88
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Bluedog88 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:27 pm

My 2 year old bluetick will do that sometimes. I've leashed her and walked the track together she'll get fired up I'll cut her loose and she'll keep going. I don't know why it happens bad snow froze out or what. It might be fear. Last time it was 3 young lions didn't want to run it till I was out of the truck and walking had a lion bayed didn't back off kept pushing till It treed.
Willyrockhill
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Willyrockhill » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:44 pm

That sounds like what he is doing also. It's weird. I don't plan on running him on any more big cats this year. Might try him again next year on them. Hope he grows out of it but if not I guess he is just a bobcat dog. My buddy used him to fill a couple cat tags in Oregon and said he treed the last one a half mile ahead of the other dogs.

Return to “Lion Hunting”