Lion hunting dads

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
cord
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Lion hunting dads

Postby cord » Mon May 28, 2018 1:39 am

Do you fellas hunt with your young kids? And how old before you start bringing them ? I will be a new father this winter and have been thinking on how early is to early to take a kid on nice days.
Bneill
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: Lion hunting dads

Postby Bneill » Mon May 28, 2018 11:14 am

I started taking my daughter and my son when they each turned 3 as long as I had someone with me who could walk for dogs or stay at the pickup with the kids if the walking was to far or hard. Never to early to get them started.
Pwilson
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Pwilson » Mon May 28, 2018 12:07 pm

Mine been going sence she was two her and her momma stay at the ranger while I go with the bull dogs to catch the hog then call them and they try to drive to me and help me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Mon May 28, 2018 11:40 pm

I've been taking my boy since he was five. I try and choose easy races to bring him on. He's 9 now and went to this tree by his self because the adults were taking to long lol.
Attachments
20180528_193828.jpg
Joey and tink
cord
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby cord » Tue May 29, 2018 12:24 am

That’s awesome I own my own business so I shut down in November and hunt 7 days a week until March so this will be a complete change for me lol
JustinKeller
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby JustinKeller » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:31 am

Had my daughter under a bear before she was 2. I was hunting with a friend a few months later and we were able to get both our daughters to a bear tree. Last year my daughter woke up as I was leaving the house and insisted she go with me, the 2 of us and 5 hounds rigged and caught another bear. She made it to her first lion tree this last winter along with 2 of my nephews.

It helps to have hunting buddies with kids the same age. Some one needs to be a houndsman while the other takes care of the kids. Sure is a lot of fun when it works out
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Justin made a strong point about someone focusing totally on the kids.

Every child is different. My girl got burned out in hunting with one bad experience. Some kids you can't burn out no matter what. But I have noticed that hounding often skips a generation. A man's grandchildren seem more likely to maintain an interest into adulthood. I think cat bear and lion can be too much for most children. If you want them to live for hunting, get a squirrel dog and go on half hour hunts. When they beg to go for big game, tell them when they grow up Some more.

I remember my dad and my buddies dad going fishing. We could not believe they were leaving us behind. "Too brushy in this place, you guys can go when we go to an easier place to fish."

Oh man! Did that ever strengthen our resolve and intensify our desire to go fishing; no matter how tough it might be.

My advise is only take them when you are willing to quit and go home while they are still wanting more. If they ask when we can go home, it's already too late. I do the same with my puppies. I leave them wanting more and laying in bed dreaming with anticipation about next time.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm

My boy is 8 and been going to bear trees since he was 2. He is just now starting to handle his own dogs and i see that he is showing a lot more interest.
Hunt hard cull hard !
MedRiver

Postby MedRiver » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:14 pm

I took some my youngest son out on his seventh birthday for a late night coon hunt. My male got out on a frozen stretch of river near some open water and scared the crap out of me. My son was almost in tears thinking the dog was going to fall in and drown. He hasn’t been out since and doesn’t want to. I have other kids that I can’t seem to burn out no matter the conditions. Every kid is different that’s for sure.

I won’t take kids out on lions unless I have an extra adult that is able to stay at the rig with the kids. Better for them, me, and the hounds.
IMG_0620.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:29 pm

A hard hunt can sure make a lot of kids not want to go back. The key to me is to get them in the outdoors a little at a time when they are little and as David said try to leave with them wanting more. We all would like our kids to share our passion but they are not clones, what's fun for one is not fun to another. They are all different. I raised 3 boys, one loves to fish and tree stand deer hunt, he rarely goes hound hunting with me but is an excellent hand when he does, one is crazy about spring turkey hunting, frog gigging and has a pack of deer beagles, the youngest loves deer dog running and bow hunting, he doesn't have his own dogs yet but he will. None of them took up my passion of fox/cat hounds, I wish they had but they didn't, I'm ok with that.
Give them a taste of all you do, watch for where their passion is, then do it with them and show them how to do it. If their passion for it is there they will soon be beating you to the tree.
It's worked out good for me, they supply their ma and I with deer, turkey, frog legs and fish while I chase fox and cats.
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 pm

I carried my daughter to bobcat trees as a youngster. but she wouldn't let me take my grandson until he was 6 years old
. That was a Long.Wait . lol

Return to “Lion Hunting”