Dogs trashing on jumped coyotes

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Highlife
Facebook ID: 0

Dogs trashing on jumped coyotes

Postby Highlife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:40 am

Every time I exercise the dogs. Coyotes run literally up in the pack and the dogs blow up and start a race on coyotes. Can’t get the older dogs to stop no matter what. Younger ones will stop and come back. Don’t want to take the coyotes out and make the dogs think that we’re hunting. Any suggestions on what to do? After the race is over the coyotes follow us back to house, howling and barking behind us the whole way back.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Dogs trashing on jumped coyotes

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:31 am

I just make sure I have a good handle on my hounds.. sometimes that includes using the e collar if thats what it takes... but with that being said for what ever reason seems like I have a coyote race once or twice a year.. usually just with the male dogs .. Here is a little video I put together and in it you can see and here a coyote really giving my hounds hell .. and they really really wanted to go get him lol
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Highlife

Postby Highlife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:59 pm

Thank you sir for the advice, and thank you for the awesome video.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:59 pm

Sometimes you get one coyote or a pair that are in the wrong spot and just wont leave things be. I had a pair den up in a side canyon from one of the main trails we had to use. Just had to go in and shoot them . just take some younger dogs in and chain them then get around to were you can shoot with out any issues. It can really develop into a issue in brushy areas where the coyotes are brazen and get in real close to the dogs.
Highlife

Postby Highlife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm

Thank you peg leg, I’m going back in tonight and see if I can’t pick them off.
JTG
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby JTG » Sat Aug 11, 2018 12:29 am

Set leghold traps and try to catch several coyotes in the same day.

Once you catch coyotes bring the hounds in the area, where you know they will find them.
Use an e-collar. Start at the lowest range and increase as needed and move on to the next coyote and do the same. It's important, the timing of the negative reinforcement. As soon as they stop thinking about back off and reward them. I ask them to sit next to me a few feet from the coyote and let them know it's unacceptable. If they are acting right, I reward them.

Repeat often, first days apart and then weeks or even months apart for a dozen or so times. Don't stop until they will not even think about it.

Catch them doing something right and reward them. If you can put them on the desired game on the same day, it will speed along the process.
DeerRunnerWolfSlayer
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby DeerRunnerWolfSlayer » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:56 pm

Sounds like you need to get ya some runnin dogs. Stretch them yotes out like right now
bearsnva
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearsnva » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:01 pm

DeerRunnerWolfSlayer wrote:
Buy me a plane ticket youngster and I'll show you how to hunt your own dogs.

Exactly what I thought, instead of accepting the offer on the table your squirming out of a challenge, I know how to hunt my dogs and so do my hunting friends, I want to see YOUR fur pullers that you claim are supreme beings, it’s real easy to talk dogs up behind a computer screen...Goose

Return to “Lion Hunting”