Side by Side

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
wyokid
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Side by Side

Postby wyokid » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:04 pm

What is everyone using for a side by side, I'm looking for something with a lot of space but still can put a dog box in the back I'm looking at the Yamaha Viking ranch style with the six seats in it but didn't know if it has enough power even with tracks on it?? Any recommendations or pics would help before I go drop cash on one of these things!! Thanks
Blueticks and Plotts always look best at the end of the chase!
walkerblacktan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Side by Side

Postby walkerblacktan » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 am

I know a couple guys with new rzr 900s they do good. Any machine 800 or bigger you should be alright with tracks and dogs just dont get a cheap chinese knock off they are piles of crap
r_cordell
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby r_cordell » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:57 am

I finally got to ride with a friend in his ranger crew with tracks, they're sure nice to get around in, but don't expect to get anywhere fast. Keep in mind you'll be tooling around in low range most of the time, to keep from burning a belt, so around 15 mph is about all you'll get. If I was gonna buy one, I'd go for the Can-Am 1000cc machine. I'd think the Viking would be a bit underpowered, especially with a full cab and a loaded dog box.
[img]2009_1250089[/img]
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:37 am

Most I know have the clutches tuned as if running 2" taller tires on the utv, helps on belts. I'd say 2 seaters only if mountain country. Weight is huge issue. The atv runs circles around utv. Some run blowers to clutching to cool belts. Snorkel is a very good option, rzr precleaner in the right snow freezes up as does their throttle cable. Have heard Samurai with Camoplast are good. Just some thoughts for you.
Last edited by rockytrails on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:48 am

Couple more, fuel mileage is cut in half, always carry some. Should have more than 1 machine, shovel. Survival kit in machine and your pack, snow shoes.. Real wet snow is terrible in tracks,
rockytrails
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby rockytrails » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:59 pm

Need to clean snow off tracks and axle boots after the day of riding. Some machines are hard to get to the boots for cleaning. I'd recommend looking at that when deciding on brand as well as above issues. The brush protecters are remove during installation so look at it like they aren't there. Unless heated garage overnight. Engine forward helps with throttle cables freezing issues, air intake locations matter. Hope this helps.
r_cordell
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby r_cordell » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm

Personally, I think the side x sides are a huge waste of money. By the time you get a new one with a heated cab and tracks, you're into it for 25 - 30k, if you get a used one, you'll pay half of that for one that's 2/3 wore out. I've been getting by with little Nissan pickups that I can get for 3k or less. I figure that I need to get a year's worth for every thpusand dollars I spend on them, and none have lete down yet. I don't run tracks on them, but it could be done for under 10 grand pretty easily. To see, money isn't that big of a deal, but I just can't see paying $30,000 on a vehicle that doesn't get around quite as good as a four wheeler, but doesn't go down the road like a little pickup. I think a samurai, or jeep Cherokee, which are a dime a dozen, would be the ticket if it was on tracks.
[img]2009_1250089[/img]
Rshcwisdom
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rshcwisdom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:37 pm

The outfit I work for has been running a Honda pioneer 500 with tracks for two years. Hasn't let us down and the 500 has plenty of power to turn the tracks. We've also ran a Polaris rzr 900. Had nothing but problems with the rzr and we went thru lots of belts with the tracks on.
r_cordell
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby r_cordell » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:21 pm

How fast does the pioneer go with tracks on it? It makes sense that it's more reliable, since it isn't belt drive. The people that I know that run Polaris just about all have two machines, so they have something to use when the other is in the shop.
[img]2009_1250089[/img]

Return to “Lion Hunting”