Multi Day Day Hunting & Landscape.

Talk about Cougar Hunting with Dogs
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Multi Day Day Hunting & Landscape.

Postby Walkerdirt » Thu May 16, 2019 6:11 pm

This section has been inactive for a while so I thought I'd ask all you experienced guys a couple questions.

If you're hunting dry ground and you're planning on hunting multiple days how do you approach your hunt? I've heard guys say that hunting multiple days is important in lion hunting but I'd like a clear answer as to why, aside from the obvious time in the field factor.

What key features do you guys look for when casting your dogs in an area? I know pinnacles ridges, saddles and tight drainages seem to attract the most lions in my area but am curious what everyone else looks for.

Thanks in advance.
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Multi Day Day Hunting & Landscape.

Postby Rossco » Sat May 25, 2019 7:20 pm

I'm far from experienced, but it would usually just depend what I'm up to for me. Going into new country it's nice to have time because idiot know how much ground I'm gonna have to cover before I start finding sign. In places I'm familiar with I might know where to find some sign, but that doesn't mean a lion was there that particular day. But if you have a spot you know a tom travels through, you know the odds are good he will be through there again eventually.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne
bency
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby bency » Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 pm

A guy can get a lot done in 3 days mule back. It’s like a game of chest, just gotta figure out where all your cold trailing is leading you too.
Walkerdirt
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Walkerdirt » Wed May 29, 2019 1:17 pm

That's what I'm finding out... Its a real odds game once you figure out where a lion is frequenting. Its been tough getting the timing right. My dogs struck a nice lion track that had been lightly rained on and they could only cold trial in the shade. It looked like it was headed through a saddle that was thick with brush and rocks. Right when I started hoping my dogs would check that area they popped up on one of the rocks sniffing around but not opening. Track went cold and I didn't' think there wasn't much I could do to help.

It really is a game of chess. If dogs are cold trailing and you want to "help" the dogs cold trailing, would you just walk them over to the next best looking area and see if they pick it up again? I'm talking dry ground, tough to find a track conditions.

Return to “Lion Hunting”