Got a question for anyone who runs bull breed catch dogs

Talk about Hog hunting
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Got a question for anyone who runs bull breed catch dogs

Postby hillbilly boy » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:29 pm

Ok up front I am not a hog Hunter but I thought this might be the place to find the answer to a question I have been wondering has anyone ever had a pure blood bull breed catch dog that could work a warm track by itself the reason I ask was I saw a video on a trapping forum were a guy who did animal control work used what he called a bull dog to catch beaver and the two ways he did it was bust out the dam and when the water was Lowe enough to see the front entrance of the den's send the dog in to find and catch the beaver which I could almost see that way working but the second way is the one that had me wondering if there was no dam to lower the water with he would turn the dog loss along the waters edge to find the air vent for the den when the dog did they would put a trap in front of the den's and the dog would dig out the air vent enough to get into the den and would catch it or pushing it into the trap I know that it would probably not take something like the old school blood hound to track enough like that but it surprised me to hear of any kind of bull dog doing that what would you all say have any of you had a bull dog that would maybe be able to do something like that oh I think it must have been a pitbull terrier because of it size could not have been over 40 or 45 pounds any other bull breeds go that small
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Got a question for anyone who runs bull breed catch dogs

Postby pegleg » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:24 am

Bully breeds have as good a nose as most breeds and if taught to or inclined to trail are good enough at it
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:38 pm

Total new to me that why I thought they were only used as catch dogs
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:00 pm

It's not my style of hunting but I've owned a few Bulldogs through the years that could wind off the box and take tracks like it was no body's business, some guys use packs of nothing but Bulldogs, one of the best ones I owned could rig with the best of hounds, on way more than one occasion I have been hunting with folks and have that ole bull dog on the box and if even so much as whimpered you could bet the farm there was a hog nearby and if he started barking then there was a hog really close, I once owned a heavy magnum bred bull dog female that was a deer and fox running fool, she stayed gone once for several days and on the third day she came home covered in red clay and had it shoved so far up her nostrils I had to dig and flush it out, come to find out she had been holed up in a fox den for the time she was gone, when I found the den it looked like someone had used a small track hoe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:21 pm

Wow that crazy guess the guy I saw was not jocking about his findings a beaver den I don't know that much about bull dogs is a heavy Magnum a kid of bull dog or blood line
stevemac
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002530954394

Postby stevemac » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:36 am

every dog has a nose even a greyhound the inclination to use it is the thing that varies. We used to use an english bull terrier a long time ago to find foxes. when he realised what he could do when he found one in a wind fall he worked his nose just fine.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Ok with you guys that have seen them track would you say that it is very few of them that can track or would you say it still common to find one that will take to it if you work with them
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:53 pm

There's more than are good at trailing than most folks realize, and yes magnum is a bloodline of bulldog...

Friend of mine has a male that has just as good of a nose as any cur dog and can run a track like a fox hound...

hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Mon May 01, 2017 12:10 am

Just out of curiosity what blood line is your friends dog is it a pit. And two the female dog that done the fox den like that what kind of size was she
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon May 01, 2017 7:55 pm

My friends bulldog is just a homegrown pit bull, don't really know any of his back ground...

My little female was about 20 inches to top of her back, a little thick up toward her shoulders and good size legs...

scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Mon May 01, 2017 11:27 pm

I've had a pit bull most of my life. Have told on here how 1 I had would run with the fox and cat hounds. Yes they can smell a warm track, will free cast and find a hog if 1 is there BUT have never had 1 with the nose of a hound.
I've always laughed at them when table scraps or dry dog feed is thrown out on the ground. The hound puppies and beagles would find and gobble all of it up while every pit I've had was frantically trying to find it.
Got a 13 year old male pit laying here in the living room by my recliner while I type this. Man, old dogs STINK ! He's bout deaf and nearly blind, whimpers some mornings when he gets up. Has some good days and bad days but he's here till he dies or starts having more bad days than good.

Return to “Hog Hunting”