Walk away boars

Talk about Hog hunting
longshot
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Walk away boars

Postby longshot » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:21 pm

I have heard of several of these fighting hogs as of recent now that dont run becuase they dont have to. They cut down every dog on the ground and then "Walk away".

my friend that is a honest hog hunter and has killed 200+ hogs a year for the last 10years. Told me about his rough curs finding a hog in a tall grass patch out in the open. He stood up not 100yards from the him(the hunter) and in a flash all 4 dogs were laying down and he watched him walk off. These dont seem to be big hogs but just boars that are dog smart and very fast.

Here is ANOTHER one that 2 different hunters (I DONT KNOW THESE GUYS) have spoken of a red hog that whooped and killed dogs and walked away.

Have any of you guys heard of things like this?
Longshot
Wildschweinjäger

support hound hunting

Texas Hog Hunting
whoflungdung
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby whoflungdung » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:18 am

12-GAUGE
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 12-GAUGE » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:02 am

We had a big barr do this to us on 5 different occasions. We would get right up to him, and he would just whip everything and walk away. If he's whooping catchdogs, I dang sure wasn't going to try him. We ended up catching him on the 6 time we got on him. Here are a few pics of him. After we caught him, I killed him so our club could have a BBQ. This beast had been emptying feeders for over a year. He had a good set of cutters. My thoughts are he was so big, that he knew nothing on it's own could handle him. He was 100 % mean. I've caught plenty of hogs, but this one was by far the rankest. We always referred to him as the
"Ghost Hog", because we had some trail camera pics of him, and he looked grey. We could never understand how all the bay dogs could have him pinned down, and as soon as the pit would go in all the dogs would be layed out. As soon as the catch dog would go to catch, all the other dogs would pile in. It never worked in their favor. This barr would just whip them and disappear into the thickets.

12-GAUGE
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby 12-GAUGE » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:03 am

That barr was just over 300#'s.
longshot
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby longshot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:33 pm

That is a mean hog. Weither he was 200 or 400lb when they can do that you know they are dangerous.

The GREY ones normally got a mean streak in them!
Longshot
Wildschweinjäger

support hound hunting

Texas Hog Hunting
broncobilly
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby broncobilly » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:08 pm

12 gauge

Nice hog.

Longshot,

I have had a few like that here. I once walked up to a good solid bay and turned a couple of catch dogs loose. The hog just watched the catch dogs come untill they were making the last jump to get him, then he threw his head about 3 times and killed both catch dogs. He then spun and caught a bay dog that was piling on. Then he turned back around and treed me. That was the last time I turned out a dog that I didn't carry a gun. I have bayed up several more over the years that were just as mean and good with their teeth, but now they don't walk away.

I agree with what Roger Muniz Jr said over on the T-0 site, except that I would use two good, smart bay dogs instead of just one. The main reason being that with two smart bay dogs, one can distract the hog if he gits after the other and two will keep the hog more distracted and give you a better shot opportunity. If I were hunting that area, I would sure get that hog before I turned loose another catch dog, or even another real catchy bay dog.

JMO

Bill
longshot
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby longshot » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:57 pm

Billy,
So far I have only had that happen to me one time and it cost me my Dogo Gyp Kasey.

We shot the hog while my hand was trying to hold him back from getting my legs......LOL

I think 2 loose baying dogs would be much better on a hog like that then a bunch of grabby ones.

THe grabby ones work better on running hogs but if they are NOT running it is a whole new ball game!

Longshot
Wildschweinjäger

support hound hunting

Texas Hog Hunting
broncobilly
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby broncobilly » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:41 pm

Return to “Hog Hunting”