help staring puppies

A place to talk about Deer/Elk Hunting and any other BigGame or Small game hunting Without dogs.
chittyboy1
Facebook ID: 0

help staring puppies

Postby chittyboy1 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:09 pm

Hey guys what are yall's opinions on the best way of starting deer dog puppies
chittyboy1

Re: help staring puppies

Postby chittyboy1 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:15 am

come on guys some of yall got to have an opionion
Northrunner
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Northrunner » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:14 am

Running pups loose around the yard when there 3-7 months, woods with deer close by eventually they start to wander off and Hopefully if they have hunt in them they hit scent and start tracking an huntin themselves,, bring home road kill deer and free dog food
Beastmode
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Beastmode » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:29 am

I used to run deer dogs. Starting as soon as I get the pups home I would use deer hooves for chew toys. I would pull them behind a rope drag and let them chase it letting them get it from me a few times to help build their confidence.

When they were pups about 5 months old I would take them for pickup rides at night and drive around until we saw deer and get them excited to give them a good visual. Make sure the pup sees and the more excited they get to see the deer the more praise you give them. This will build a good visual desire to chase. I could also start doing deer drags with hides to get them used to trailing the scent. This is a difficult one because they aren’t hounds and most likely will not be baying a deer up unless it’s crippled.

At about 6 months I would start taking them to places I could run deer. Patience is key as with all dog training so don’t let the dog know you are getting frustrated if you do. The best thing I have found is to let them run with a fully broke dog, hopefully with no bad habits. The best dog I ever had would only bark on a hot buck track. I have been out of it for 12 years and now getting in to hounds. Good luck with your adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:49 pm

I never had deer dogs. It's illegal to run them here in MI. But I would try hunting other game with the pups. They always seem to run deer when you don't want them to. Then just praise them instead of breaking them off deer. But with any hunting dog they learn in the woods not a kennel. Good luck...
chittyboy1

Postby chittyboy1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:07 pm

thanks guys I'm slowly learning the rope of running them.....i just got a 6 year old finished trail dog and when the pups are about 5 mounths I'm gonna start turning them out with her

Return to “Other Hunting”