Talk about Horses and Mules.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Horse vs Mule

Postby Mike Leonard » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:18 pm

Sound like a fun ride. Here is a clip on Pasos

http://www.paso-finos.co.uk/pages/videopaso.html

I never rode any Peruvians but liked their build a lot better they look pretty stout.

There was a gal that use to live here that trained a lot of Paso Fino champions and I rode a few of her horses and they are no doubt the smoothest in the world. I think they call it the Paso Larga when they set a glass of champagne on their hate and ride and not suppose to spill it. That's smooth!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
STUNTMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby STUNTMAN » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:11 pm

Doc- Cant wait to see her. Get a camera lazy ass and put a pic up. You keeping at your place for now or over at Capps?
BIG GAME CURS
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby hunt14 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:26 pm

Anybody had any experience with the Waler or Australian Stock Horse?

My grandfather and a good friend of his went to Aus. to hunt water buffalo a few years back and while they were there ol Terry (grand dads friend) entered himself into a team ropin at a local rodeo there. One of the locals lended him his Australian Stock mount and he really fell in love with that horse. He roped a few steers on him and really spoke highly of him. Terry rides more than most and knows what a good horse is. They say the Waler and Stock horse are good in the mountains as well.

I dont hear much about these horses here and wondered if anybody had any experience with them.
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:11 pm

I've never ridden an Australian Stock Horse, but I've got a couple of friends Down Under and of course they speak highly of them. One of the guys knows which end of a cow gets up first, so I trust his opinion of the ASH. From everything I hear and read, they're pretty good mounts. There is some debate over there about the connection between the Walers and the ASHs. Some say different strains of the same breed, some say completely different. I've got a nice QH mare that I'm going to AI breed to my buddy's Australian Stock Horse stud via frozen semen. I'll have to keep you posted on how the colt turns out if she takes.
Larry Morgan
Morgan's Cajun Blue Gascons
hunt14
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hunt14 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:51 pm

Larry please do keep me posted. Im sure they are like any other breed of animal where you'll find good and bad in all of them but I hear they are, for the most, a real using horse and they hold up well.
UphillDoc
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby UphillDoc » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:57 pm

Here she is...sure enjoy her and she has made cruisin the hills a pleasure for sure.

Take care.
Attachments
october 020.JPG
Peruvian Paso
Hagerman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Hagerman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:25 am

I understand Benny G's problem with mules...It's like marriage.
Opposites attract and...
Mules are opinionated.
Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked why he takes his wife on all the road trips.
Phillips: “Because she is too damn ugly to kiss good-bye.”
Not sure if it's true, just funnier than hell. A been there done that moment.
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:31 am

Mr. Hagerman,
How would that work? If opposites attract, and BOTH mules and I are VERY opinionated, we shouldn't EVER be around each other! :roll: :lol: :lol: Although I might be a little more opinionated than my mules!
:beer :beer

Oh, and by the way, Doc...nice looking mount! I like the color contrast of the britchen also. (Just my opinionated thoughts!) :D :D
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
Hagerman
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Hagerman » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Kinda what I was referring to Benny!
Just couldn't make myself say it outright.
Oiler coach Bum Phillips when asked why he takes his wife on all the road trips.
Phillips: “Because she is too damn ugly to kiss good-bye.”
Not sure if it's true, just funnier than hell. A been there done that moment.
slowandeasy
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby slowandeasy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:21 pm

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Nice looking horse. Enjoy!!!
Machias
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Machias » Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:56 pm

Nice looking horse, I think your britchen is a bit low, just a thought.
Fred Moyer
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:40 pm

I think whether someone prefers horses over mules is sort of like people who argue Ford over Chevy. Both are good and bad rides, but you like what you like. So much of it is a state of mind as well. I currently own four horses and one mule, but I consider myself a mule man. I have a great friend who has had almost as many mules through the years as me, but he's a dyed in the wool horseman. Its the state of mind.
Larry Morgan
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:36 pm

One thing I have found out about mule men is they are much more superstitious than are horse folks.

Case in point: I found this real nice red molly mule here about a week ago. She 9 years old about 15 hands and gentile as can be. She rides, packs trailers, good with handling her feet and such and looks to be easy to catch. Ok the guy said he needd to sell her so I said well how much and he told me. I said that is a pretty good price I don't really need a mule right now but I will check around and see if I can find a sale for her. Well I contacted a few hunters that I know are mule people and each one said the same thing.

How much trial do I get on that mule? In other words they wanted to take the mule ride it for a few weeks or months and then make up their minds. Now in horse dealing generally you go check out the animal ride think about it and then make the deal and haul the horse to your house and that is it. Not so with mule guys I have found so I guess I can't help him sell her because if it were a horse I would worry that who ever took it could screw it up good and proper before screaming uncle and hauling it back. LOL!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
lmorgan
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby lmorgan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Mike,

I wish someone had given me a trial on some of the mules (and horses for that matter) that I've wasted money on over the years. Every mule I ever bought, I bought the hard way, just like you described. It's probably better that way. If they'd have given me two weeks to see if I liked them, then I'm sure I'd have found enough faults to give it back. The other way, I didn't hae a choice but to try and tough it out and make the animal work. :)
Larry Morgan

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”