New Saddle from James Morris

Talk about Horses and Mules.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

New Saddle from James Morris

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:16 pm

I had James make me a new saddle specifically for hunting.. nothing fancy but something I wouldn't mind abusing. I had him try to make it as light as possible but still strong. I like to be able to tie a canvas for fences and my slicker and woobie blanket behind the cantle. I can do that with the slots and with the strings separately . A pet peeve of mine is the way saddle bags ride.. I don't like them to bounce or shift and be off balance and are easy to get on and off so we used the same hardware that the Calvary used.. also I didn't want it to cost too much so it was pretty economical for a handmade saddle

I posted the other saddle I had made before but will again... just seemed a little too nice to let a mule scratch it up in the brush

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: New Saddle from James Morris

Postby Cowboyvon » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:18 pm

I better add this.. while I was in his shop I noticed these old pictures.. turns out his father had hounds too..

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Brett,

What is the tree on this? Also less bags and such what do you estimate the weight is. I am in the process of planning two new saddles for Bobbie and I these will be for our hunting nags not our rope horses.

It was great seeing you guys on the Blue!

Mike
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Big Mike
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Big Mike » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:32 pm

Nice saddle, I still say you should be riding the purty one! I like the added on ties for the saddle bags. Guess the Calvary knew what they were doing. I switch from saddle bags to a cantle bag for the same reasons you mentioned.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:48 am

Mike,

Its a modified association like my other one.. we haven't weighed it but I will when I pick it up and let you know I know its pretty light.. I left it there for him to show some guys.

I really enjoyed listening to you guys over on the blue.. the songs and the poems were great wish I could get a copy of that paper or plastic so my Father could read it.. or better yet a video of you doing it.. I hadn't laughed that hard in a long time..

Big Mike,

I try not to put to much weight back there on there kidneys so use a pommel bag also.. I have some of those cheap ones you use to be able to get from wal-mart :shock:

I have been known to just put the pack saddle on the other mule and carry me some over night stuff on her.. really isn't much of a problem and she follows along like a dog

Henry David Thoreau
R Severe
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby R Severe » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:26 pm

Brett
Never built one with the slots in the cantle. Looks like it's built for work. Hope you have many great hunts with it.

I like your comment on not putting much weight over the kidneys.
RS
Robin Severe
Eastern Oregon
azlion
Facebook ID: 0

Postby azlion » Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:09 pm

Thats what i need, how can i get one and how much?

Return to “Horse/Mule Disscussion”