wanting to build kennel need some ideas

Share Ideas, Plans and what ever else about kennels and dog Boxes.
kenny
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

wanting to build kennel need some ideas

Postby kenny » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:20 am

Thinking of building a kennel for three dogs, roof over it, and a small room built on one side for storage the kennels and storage room would have concrete floor. I was thinking on each kennel being 12' by 12'. Please send me some info on your kennel like dimensions, floor and the like. If you could send some pics that would be great to. Thanks Kenny
SHADOWHUNTER
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: wanting to build kennel need some ideas

Postby SHADOWHUNTER » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:41 am

I HAVE 7 KENNELS THAT ARE 10 X 16 EACH WITH THEIR OWN DOOR, SHED ROOF SYTLE WITH CATTLE PANEL DIVIDERS, SIDES AND ROOF ARE PROPANEL. WATER AND ELECTRIC TO EACH. DRAW IT OUT AND BUILD IT.
****ONE SHOT, ONE KILL****

HOME OF SIERRA KENNELS
Doogie
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Doogie » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:43 am

I ride the Leopard Cur short bus
Benny G
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Benny G » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:34 am

My kennels are 5' wide by 10' long. Over all they measure 25'x 10'. I built them with 5 kennels all in one. The entire framework is built out of 1 3/8" galvanized chainlink top rail material. The dividers and outside panels are 4"x4" welded wire panels (cattle), and I welded 6"x6" panels on the bottom to keep the dogs from digging. The roof is covered with R-panel, has a 12" overhang on front and back, and slopes 2" toward the back. The dog houses are outside of the kennels, on the back. I cut holes in the panels on the backside to allow access to the houses. Kennels this size are NOT conductive to enough exersize, therefore the dogs need an outside run, or some sort of regular exersize opportunities. I personaly don't like concrete under my dogs, the wood floor of the dog houses seem to be hard enough on them for me. I have a good friend that has gone one step further, and keeps the floor of his kennels full of rock from the rail beds to maitain their feet.

I built my kennels this way thinking that some day if they need to be moved, I could turn them on the side, load them on a trailer, and hit the road.
"What I really need is a system that when I push a button it will shock that dog there, when I push this other button I can shock the other dog over there, and a button that I can push to shock all twenty dogs at the same time!" - Clell Lee

Benny
When in doubt, ask someone that knows, not just claims to know.
bigfatfarmer
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bigfatfarmer » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:02 pm

well I built a barn 21x 42 wood studs and propanel outsides. I have my kennels inside They are 7x14 seperated with chain link that I got used for free. I have a run area that is next to my dog barn and turn the dogs out togeher every day. They only time I have the dogs in the kennels is at night or when I go out of town. I had dirt floors but I am now putting gravel in the floors I would say concrete would be the best but I didnt have the money at time. I have water and lights in their witch is great for feeding late night. I used to just have all the dogs in that big run but found out life is better when you can pen them up seperate whenever you want. The one thing I strongley suggest is having a dog run where all the dogs can get out and play keeps them happy and keeps them friendly with eachother. Also make sure you plan for some storage too.
kenny
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby kenny » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:16 am

Thanks for the ideas.But I was wondering what if you made the floor half gravel and half concrete. Why is concrete so bad for the dogs it would seem easy to clean the kennels if you had concrete and more sanitary than having to clean up crap from gravel. but one thing that after the info that I'm now considering is a place that I can let them out of the kennels during the day while at work. Also the roof over the kennels should i due metal or comp what do you guys think.Thanks again for the info
hntr4life
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby hntr4life » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:49 am

If what I keep hearing is right, and I've heard it enough that I'm sure it is, the cement floors are really hard on the dogs joints. It's supposed to be better to use 1"-2" crushed rock if available. Keeps their feet tough and in running shape. At least that's what I hear. Good luck
muck
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby muck » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:44 pm

I have a 4 dog kennel.covered on sides and top with houses behind the kennel where they go threw a little door. easy clean out in the back of the kennel. water and electric to as well as a water jet system that sprays them if they bark. each kennel is like 10x6 i believe. water drains into a drain and then over the hill. pretty simple i wish i would of made it a little bit bigger buts its nice and easy. also it doesnt like like shit behind ur house.
Attachments
mail.jpg
mail.jpg (10.73 KiB) Viewed 5652 times
0921001941[1].JPG
brian

Return to “Kennels and Dog Boxes”