Wild Pigs in Idaho

cjohnson1178
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Wild Pigs in Idaho

Postby cjohnson1178 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:13 pm

I've have been doing some research on the rumors of wild pigs near Bruneau. I've contacted F&G, BLM, USDA APHIS, CJ Stike WMA, and local land owners. THe government agencies don't want to say much and tell me the pigs are gone and there hasn't been a sighting in over a year. I think this is B.S. my research tells me wild pigs are almost impossible to control. They start breeding at 6 months old, they can have up to 4 litters a year and 12 piglets in a litter. So I doubt they have gotten rid of them that fast with a few trail cams and a few traps. Look at the wolve situation, pigs are much harder to control and their numbers grow much faster plus their smart (probably smarter than F&G). It would take the government longer than a couple years just to get their heads out of their asses before they did anything. However; landowners in the area tell a different story, they say they are still there. I've come to learn the government doesn't want to draw attention to the situation cause they feel they have the pigs confined to a rather small area and any hunting pressure would move the pigs out of the area making it harder to erradicate them. It is legal to go attempt to hunt them even though they don't want us to, they don't want to appear to be protecting them. So if they are there its open season if you can find one. I also herd it is believed that local hound hunters brought them in from Cali. and released them. I know its mostly private out that way, the pigs move more at night and are mostly in the wet lands so getting to them on foot would be nearly impossible, (but I got a boat). I've herd a few have been taken by hunters but all on private land. Any way I'm just looking for some more info. Has anyone tried going after them with or with out dogs? Any sightings? Anyone know anyone who has got one? Anyone with some info would be helpfull, I am thinking about going to have a look for myself. Dogs could be used during the day, but no spot lighting or dogs at night. Just curious what yall think of the situation. I've coon hunted the CJ area a few times but don't know the area all that well. Anyone want to go get some bacon.
beardogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Wild Pigs in Idaho

Postby beardogger » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 pm

dont know if you are in the mtn home area but if you are then you know there are a ton off hound guys in the area and most have the private property tied up so will be very tough to get onto any good land and even tougher talkin to any of the dog guys to let you go very protective of hunting areas
cjohnson1178
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby cjohnson1178 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:38 pm

I wasn't looking for anyone to take me out huntin or even tell me wear to go. I know those types of questions don't get a response. And trying to get onto private land is usually a waste of time. I'm happy hunting on public land. I just recently learned of the pig situation myself, and just thought it might be a topic of interest for Idaho houndsmen and wanted to start a thread about it to see if anyone had any first hand info on the situation, and just curious what others thought. I sounds like once the pigs get a foothold there is no stopping them.

I also heard rumors of wild pigs in the Owyhees outside of Marsing, but I've been in there quite a bit and havn't seen any myself.
beardogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby beardogger » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:49 pm

I have hunted and lived in Marsing area for a while and have not had any pig encounters and have also hunted CJ Strike area and Bruneau river area some on private ground but have not caught or ran that I know of any pigs. When I first heard of the pigs I was thinkin like you that they would be fun as hell to mess with, Idaho would definantly be a houndoggers dream then coons, bears, mtn lions, bobcats,and pigs only thing really missin would be greyfox
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:02 pm

The pigs are pretty much gone here in bruneau. I do know there are still a few but on private. A boat would do a guy no good either. i ran and bayed one a few years ago a little one when i got to the dogs i was supprized but it took off again and i yelled at my dogs and caught them. I tried a lot after that with no luck. No houndmen brought them from cali either.
Hunt hard cull hard !
Glen
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 100002648123240

Postby Glen » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:30 pm

I havent seen any myself, but a buddy saw some at mcbride creek last fall.
When I first heard about this it peaked my interest but can hardly find time to hunt bear and cat so I havent justified another hobby that I have no time for. good luck!!

Return to “Idaho”