Trap setting for WOLVES

A Place to discuss Trapping
BIGBLUES
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Trap setting for WOLVES

Postby BIGBLUES » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:07 am

Just wanting to learn your technique's on setting wolf traps in snow. What do you use or how do you prep your set so it doesn't freeze up on you? I have used ant pile material, perlite, wax dirt, wax paper, produce bags, and just snow. Some works ok and some don't work very well. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Brent Sinclair
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Trap setting for WOLVES

Postby Brent Sinclair » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:26 am

Been busy and have just got a bit of time now to get back into working on the wolves.
Give me a call one evening and I can tell you what has worked for me up here in the snow…
403 627-2540…..leave message if I am not in and I'll call back…!
Brent Sinclair
PORCUPINE CREEK OUTFITTERS Ltd.
TROPHY HUNT AMERICA
SAFARI CONNECTION
www.trophyhuntamerica.smugmug.com
fox hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fox hunter » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:35 pm

i use buck wheat huls under and over the trap to keep it from freezeing down with good result set where they are traveling and be paitent, its not uncommon here for them not to come back for a month or two keep your trap in working order and you will catch them when they come back. post sets both mine and theirs are my best producers
BIGBLUES
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby BIGBLUES » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:16 pm

I have 24 traps out right now and they have gone past them at least twice without going to them. I have set some blind sets recently hoping it will do the trick. I am going to put 6 more traps out, setting them all as blind sets. Not sure how they will work but I am guessing the blind sets will be the ones that catch. The pack I am working on have gotten some education the last few years so they are kind of leery of piss posts, bait sets, and lures. We killed 3 last year and there is 5 left. Hopefully with any luck we will wipe this pack out!

I use to catch twice the number of lions before I started trapping wolves. Trapping has taken up a lot of my time, but I know that I have to be part of the solution if I want to keep chasing lions. I hope other houndsmen will take the initiative to take time to trap wolves and be part of the solution as well. If your dogs get killed by wolves you have nothing to bitch about unless you are killing wolves yourself!
fox hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby fox hunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:17 pm

well sais Big, look for their own post to set on around a kill if you can find one. another set that has work well for me is to save straw out of a dog house ive raised pups in. it stinks of piss, i find a big ceder or white for were they are traveling by and make a pile of the pissy straw under it against the trunk helps keep snow off bed the trap roughly 20 inches back with buck wheat huls under and over to keep from freezing down and wait. ive had good luck with this on educated wolves they hate hounds and will tear the hell out of the area

Return to “Trapping”