Turning a Track Around

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Turning a Track Around

Postby al baldwin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:06 am

Yes I think you nailed it ... although we caught one lion this year and the dogs trailed it like it was a week old and then bam there was a lion not even a jumped race ... conditions vary so much day to day down here it just always kinda keeps me confused lol[/quote]

Have seen the same thing with one than one bobcat track over the years & yes it tends to keep me confused. If one runs only hot tracks sure it is easier to get the correct end, but, sure would get boring at times trying to find a hot track. Al
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby scrubrunner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:50 am

Have deer and fox hunted with hounds my whole life. If one of my deer dogs habitually back tracks, it going to be eating somebody else's feed. I was forced to hog hunt 3-4 times a week for 2 years, the old man I had to go with was same way about hog dogs. Never been much of a problem with fox but it happens occasionally not turning track around. It doesn't really seem to be a problem except when hunting cats. I've had mine back up on a cat more than any other type of hunting I've done with hounds.
1whitedog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1whitedog » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:12 am

In my experience a dog is more likely to take a back track in a heavy fog than any other condition. That being said a dog that takes a back track in the mountains, more than seldom, is more of a liability than an asset and doesn't stay here long. Roads are far, ground is steep and if you are rigging and pulled off the side of the road 2 dog trucks have gone by you why you are trying to get your dogs from down in the hollar off a back track. Ideally for me a dog will do one of 2 things on a tough track before they open. Either circle the track, some times multiple times, or work the track in one direction if that is not the correct end come back and work the track the correct direction before opening. The more dogs you have on the ground the less likely this scenario is going to work out, something is going to open in the wrong direction. I believe a lot of what you are willing to put up with has to do with your hunting situation. On the coast you can track in the sand, your hunting on private ground with just your hunting party in there and you have multiple baits hit. In addition the blocks can be small and the roads close together. If a dog takes a back track you go to the other side of the block and call him out, go up the road and put on the next one. This dog in this country likely jumps you a bear on most days but wouldn't make it long in the mountains.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”