Wolves killed by hunters using dogs.

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Wolves killed by hunters using dogs.

Postby mike martell » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:52 pm

Interesting.....Here is something to think about and I will toss it out.....Dan Lay claims to have never had a hound killed by wolves in Canada running at least six hounds. Dan quite possibly knows more about wolves than wolves themselves......I suspect this can work but you will eventually end up with dead dogs at some point. Dan is not using his hounds on wolves, but claims while lion hunting he never lost a hound to a wolf....Why is that? Invariably the single wolf might end up back with the pack...The cool thing about hunting hounds is the endless possibilities if you only open your imagination and release the hounds! Something to think about....These guys are the pioneers and in a few short years will know if it is a good idea or not...Right now they look like the hound gods! Congratulations guys....

Mike
pistol
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby pistol » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:00 pm

The sound of a hound or hounds in my area is a dinner bell to wolves. Are packs are aggressive and have no fear of man. Most of are packs are 5+ and even packs of 12+. Once your dogs get a taste of wolf there will be no stopping them. They don't know better and will end up dead. They don't know if its a pack of 20 or a pack of 2. I have lost dogs to wolves and would never put my dogs in that sort of battle. The last thing I need to do is turn out on a lion track and a young dog find a wolf track and head out. I give you guys props for getting it done. How was it done? Did they bay them up or were they chasing them and you cut them off and got a shot? Just curious if it was done buy dogs or just luck. Not saying it can't be done in Wisconsin but in the west no way!! Are area is to rugged and road less. If you don't have snowmobiles its hard to stay on top of your dogs cause of massive amounts of snow. Guess its only my opinion.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Used to be the same way here pistol, big dogs going to the sound of hounds. I understand the shortage of roads, but snowmobiles would be much better anyways. We started to fight fire with fire early in the game, just hope it's not too late for you.
Emily
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Emily » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:58 pm

I too would love to know what you learn about about doing it without risking the dogs too much. We have some coyotes ("brush wolves") around here that are as big as some wolves. Please keep sharing what you can about technique.
esp
Budd Denny
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Budd Denny » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:52 pm

Another.
........Budd Denny..........
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Houndhead » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:10 pm

dhostetler
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby dhostetler » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:31 pm

I also believe that wolves can be hunted successfully with dogs, they were hunted successfully with hounds in the west 100 years ago off horseback & with no roads. I think if you have hounds chasing them the tables are turned on them. 50 to 70 lb. hounds on a regular basis tree cougars double there weight. The cougar has no problem killing a hound that size but they rarely do. I figure a predator's whole life revolves around being the hunter and the killer and when they become the hunted there whole world comes apart.
mondomuttruner
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby mondomuttruner » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:58 am

" I figure a predator's whole life revolves around being the hunter and the killer and when they become the hunted there whole world comes apart."

That sentence says it all.........

Oh, when hounds put down on 3 or 4, they do split up....
P.W. Chapman

Postby P.W. Chapman » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:00 pm

seems like this could eventually have huge benefits for houndsmen. if a little "fear factor" could be instilled in the wolves when they hear a hound pack, it might same some hunting dogs down the road.
Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Houndhead » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:51 pm

One more from Rusk County

Houndhead
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Houndhead » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:36 pm

These dead wolf pics make me smile. :D The only thing better is I know it is severely pissing off all those goofballs in Madison. I'm sure they are about ready to break out the Bongos and protest.

I figured that guys would have some success if they got to use dogs and we got some snow. Most hound guys in WI have a pretty good handle on where and how many wolves are in their hunting area. They just wait until they have one singled out in a manageable section and then go after them. Now granted as someone said, there could be a full pack in that last section but it's a chance you take. Most likely a guy would have known there was a full pack around prior to that and simply tried to avoid them. There are places you aren't going to try this due to access, but in all the other areas it's game on to whack em.

The other interesting thing is the hard core deer hunters are "all in" on getting rid of some of these things. Guys who hate dog hunters are now best buddies. If they hear that a wolf got killed they are jacked.
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:29 pm

On the Trail

Journal Sentinel outdoors editor Paul A. Smith offers news, notes and perspective on the great outdoors.

DNR reports 13 wolves killed by hunters using dogs

By Paul A. Smith of the Journal Sentinel

Dec. 19, 2013 1:37 p.m.

submit to reddit
Email
Print
|(0) Comments

Hunters using dogs have killed 13 wolves this month in Wisconsin, according to a report issued Thursday by the Department of Natural Resources.

The wolf kills have occurred since Dec. 2 when the use of dogs became legal to hunt wolves in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin is the only state to authorize the use of dogs to hunt wolves.

The wolves were shot by hunters using firearms as the animals were running from the dogs or as they were held at bay, according to sources.

State regulations allow dogs only for tracking and trailing the wolves. No violation of the wolf hunting laws or animal welfare laws related to the use of dogs has been reported by the DNR.

A lawsuit blocked the use of dogs to hunt wolves in Wisconsin last year. However, a Dane County Circuit Court judge vacated the injunction in January, clearing the way for dogs to be used this year.

An appellate court has yet to rule on an appeal of that decision.

The DNR reports 232 wolves have been killed this season in Wisconsin. The statewide quota is 251.

About 80% of the wolves have been killed by trappers using leghold traps.

The state has sold 1,862 resident and 11 nonresident wolf hunting and trapping licenses. The DNR authorized the sale of 2,510 licenses through a preseason lottery.

Only Zone 3 in northwestern Wisconsin, in which 51 wolves have been taken out of a quota of 71, remains open.

The season will continue through Feb. 28 or until the quota is filled in Zone 3, whichever comes first.

Wisconsin had an estimated 809 to 834 wolves in 214 packs in late winter 2013. The wolf population typically doubles each spring after pups are born and then begins to decline from various sources of mortality.

The DNR is attempting to reduce the wolf population closer to the goal of 350 expressed in the 1999 Wisconsin wolf management plan.

Read more from Journal Sentinel: http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/23 ... z2nyT0xhpL
Follow us: @JournalSentinel on Twitter
chilcotin hillbilly
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100003065741116

Postby chilcotin hillbilly » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:06 pm

Thats awesome news. I am hunting with a guy from Wisconsin right now who has hounds and is really interested in giving it a go. Definately a risk, but a rush like no lther when the wolf hits the ground.
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
Home of the Chilcotin Treeing Piss Hounds
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:16 pm

That didn't take long.....

Season closing tomorrow at 5p.m. (due to quota getting near goals)

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”