Cur lion dog

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
bandoli86
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Cur lion dog

Postby bandoli86 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:14 pm

Was wondering what kind of cur excel on cats.
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Re: Cur lion dog

Postby Spencer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:52 pm

i have heard of and seen pics of black mouth curs baying lions before. best to contact curt Ladner of the Ladner BMC line. he would have some recommendations on who is breeding lion dogs, if he himself is not
coupla links.
http://www.lhladnerblackmouthcurs.com/

http://www.royaltine.com/forum/hound-ho ... -cur/1874/
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:03 pm

Stephens cur
Hunt hard cull hard !
bandoli86
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bandoli86 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks I appreciate info
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:32 am

I've seen some leopard curs in lion packs. But never a whole pack of them. The ones I've hunted have been warm nosed great locators and some are harder headed then I expected. Can't say if they were any particular line.
bandoli86
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bandoli86 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:59 am

I just want to try one out. Id never just run curs I like to hear the hounds haha
TomJr
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 100004374097746

Postby TomJr » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:53 pm

I had a black mouthed-cur that ran lion, bobcat, bear and fox well. I would say his nose ran to med... but I saw him take and tree a few right under my other dogs that I thought were colder nosed. He was very athletic and could jump a 6 ft fence from a standing start. The little bugger also climbed trees... and once pulled a 70lb female lion out of a tree, he only weighed 50lbs.

He did have a touch of aggression towards one of my dogs... I think more of a personality thing since he was friendly towards strange dogs met on the trail. He came to an early end at around 4 years old. Vet said he had sniffed up some plant material that caused an infection in his lungs... never showed any sign of being sick just died in middle of the night.

I got him from Bob Fogel out of California he goes by Boar Runner on here.

Tom Beatty Jr
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:47 pm

if you want an impressive little cur dog you should try the Stephens cur they're like little mini hounds find a good line of them and you will not be disappointed Don page in Emmett Idaho has some really good ones.
Hunt hard cull hard !
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm

No experience with lions but I would figure some south fork bear stock if kemmer dogs....

As for the Ladner dogs, i live not far from curt Ladner at all and I'm not going to talk about another mans dogs, but I will say this, if your not a "fur mommy" I wouldn't waste my hard earned money on a dog from a person who hasn't hunted the line of dogs in many generations and breeds more gyps a year than times he hunts, not one person who is a serious Hunter around our parts run his dogs on any type of game, criteria for breeding is the feedback he gets from his clients who tell them little fefe treed a squirrel on their walk in the park or chased a rabbit on the evening bike ride.
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:20 pm

He has been that way for many years .
Hunt hard cull hard !
horshur
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby horshur » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:41 am

never had trouble catching a cougar with a leopard cur. Hensley bred...ran them alone and with other hounds.....
bandoli86
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bandoli86 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:20 am

I just talked with Randy Oller about his leopard dogs and I think I'm gonna try and get one of them. Might have to wait a long time to get one he said there's 50 people on the waiting list
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby justahunter » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:04 pm

I hunted with Randy. He a nice guy and full of knowledge . we tried some of his dogs befoRe hunting with him we culled them . but we were trying then on bear they just didn't work for us . his dogs didn't fair to good when he brought them out here. If your set on leopard "hound" I would try getting a hold of Nick Riley in Montana . he has a lot of same blood oller does but he hunts his a ton . and probably don't have as long of list
Hunt hard cull hard !
bandoli86
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bandoli86 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:03 pm

Not set on it I just liked what I had herd about them dogs. I just want to try one with hounds not sure which way to go but his dogs sounded like the best rout. I don't know much bout curs but I'll try anything once
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:40 pm

Its just like any dog go check out the parents and see if you like them. Some curs are just as much hound as a lot of the dogs being called hounds anyway. If the parents trail , tree and handle like you expect your most likely not going to be surprised.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”