Nance bred dogs in general

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
houndhunter450
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Nance bred dogs in general

Postby houndhunter450 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:23 pm

I wanted to start a new thread on the Nance bred in general.... All of the old posts are at least4+ years old and out of date. I'd like to hear about what is everyone running? Any new info,pics,upcoming litters.... Whatever anyone wants to throw in the post. I've got a 5 yr old Sampson top and bottom line bred dog, and a young female bred very similar, also a young Jeff Allen bred female.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Nance bred dogs in general

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:03 pm

I can't speak for all strains of today's Nance bred hounds but I can tell you a little about our Southwest Nance strain.

First of all we direct our breeding program for hounds that can be used successfully catching mountain lions on bare ground conditions. This is not to say they don't work pretty well on other species and under different conditions but this is our emphasis and we keep this in mind when we breed.

Although we have Centerfire Sampson, Topper Again, and Kinkaid's Chief in our base stock we are mostly breeding around a Matriarchal blood line ( Galantine's Little Millie.)

Most of our pups start striking and trailing very early and we expect to see them trailing overnight old varmint tracks by 4-5 months, and some much earlier. Our dogs are smaller with females running 35-45 pounds and males 40-55 pounds. Some of these dogs have proven to be very good bobcat dogs and some are also making the grade as bear dogs. As Jeff Allen always says for snow lions there is nothing out there he has seen that can beat the Nance dogs.

No hound is perfect and we are still trying to improve with each generation but it is a slow process because we prove them in the woods, evaluate strengths or shortcomings and plan future breeding's accordingly.

Hope this helps a little and from time to time we have a few pups for sale and we always advertise these on this site when we do.

Regards,
Mike
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
houndhunter450
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby houndhunter450 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:15 pm

Thanks for the reply Mike, my Sampson dog is the one in the center of the pic and he has millie in his pedigree... I am in the north east and these dogs were brought here from Arizona/Utah although they have never been on dry ground in the west I can tell you they get the job done very well in the north east and in the snow he is hard to beat on a cold trail.... Hoping someone else in the north east has some input on nance dogs out here and how they are doing weather they chase bear cats or coyotes id love to hear about them. Also Mike I've spoke to you about a pup last time I was looking but u didn't have anything at that time.... I'd like to talk to you more about your line and try one at some point!

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:46 pm

Do you guys know Mike Curtain? He has a line of Nance dogs and a few guys that hunt them in the North East. He hunts bear in Maine every year. I don't know if he lets any dogs outside the circle, but by all reports they are excellent bear dogs. He is an extremely careful breeder.
festus
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby festus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:05 pm

I am planning on making a heavy Line bred cross this spring that will have Sampson and Millie 4 times on both side's. Like Mike said these Nance dogs are not perfect, but I like em and have hunted them for over 30 years here in the dry ground southwest.
houndhunter450
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby houndhunter450 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:18 pm

David, no I've never heard of him.... That's why I started this post to try to find that good blood that is out our way in the north east. I go to Maine for kill season too but don't really know too many of the other guys who hunt or live there. I don't know the guys name but I heard of a guy who got a dog from Steve galentine who is located in Canada that runs a nance bred dog on coyotes... The dogs a male and he calls it Utah. Anyone heard of the dog or man who owns him?

twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:02 pm

I've got my Topper Again strain pretty much all over the country and Canada. They seem to be liked very well by most who own them. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
houndhunter450
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby houndhunter450 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Andy, I'm very aware of Topper and Sampson. I was kinda looking for what are guys breeding to now a days? If someone calls you or Dean Lyman (or anyone else for that matter who has nance bred dogs)what do you folks have to offer for studs? Are Any dogs out of topper or Sampson on the same level as they were as far as stud dogs? Seems to me there just isn't much for current dogs being promoted as stud dogs or anything.

festus
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby festus » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:57 pm

There are some Nance bred males around I have one that is reproducing, and I know of another close by me that is reproducing as well.
tapeworm

Postby tapeworm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:46 pm

I have had good success with the House and Nance bred hounds
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:26 pm

festus, what do you think a male has to do to be a reproducer?
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:11 pm

My Little Topper male out of Topper Again x Sally has had a few litters on the ground that have been doing very well. It takes 3-4 yrs to see if a dog can produce consistantly so time will tell. Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
festus
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby festus » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:33 pm

Mule man,
My opinion of a reproducer is a dog that consistently reproduces pups that look and act like him, with the same ability and traits.
dirtydan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby dirtydan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:50 am

I want to start this thread again. I still have a direct daughter of Sampson. Anyone else still have any living Sampson offspring? Mine is probably too old to breed but she'll still catch the hell out of a lion! All her offspring are proven lion hounds as well. I am curious if anyone still has any sons of Sampson that are breeding
Rossco
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Rossco » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:14 am

Mike Leonard, is that strain of Millie dogs you are breeding kinda timid acting? I've only had a couple of dogs from the Millie stuff, but the ones I had I definitely couldn't get after very hard at all. But they were very early starters and very natural. Definitely above average hunting dogs. But not a fan of strangers whether it be dog or man.
"Life is hard, its harder if your stupid." John Wayne

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”