Dog running called game

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Dog running called game

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:05 pm

So I was wondering if any of you guys have ever heard of using a game call to bring in game and letting the dogs use on it the guy that told me about it said they let the dog loss instead of shooting it right off was his dog was faste enough to catch or bay them up and the guy could make a for sure shot since he could get so close
black_and_tan_hunter

Re: Dog running called game

Postby black_and_tan_hunter » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:52 pm

sounds like a good idea
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:21 pm

Yeah that was what I was thinking from what the guy told me was the main thing with him was they did not have to hunt down wounded ones they were put down when the dog got it or the guy could get so close he could not miss
T.R.
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby T.R. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:06 am

Weve called coyotes and caught them with greyhounds.
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:30 am

I have seen sight hounds doing but I think in our area a fast tracking dog would be better I have meat a few guys that were running cur dogs on other things and had them catch coyote when they came up on them so that was what I was thinking about
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:51 am

I use to do it on horse back and with stag hounds for coyotes .. it was sure good sport
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
hillbilly boy
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby hillbilly boy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:07 am

Just wondering what kind of country were in hunting in
Allen

Postby Allen » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:56 am

Can call coyotes in and let young hounds loose on them and shock them off.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:11 pm

I used to do it with bobcat. I would go out and call predators (coyote coon fox bobcat...). If a bob would come into sight I wouldn't shoot and wait till it would leave, hopefully without spoking it. Then run home and get the dogs, and walk them into a what I figured was a pretty fresh bobcat track. It's a good way to start dogs and to see if there honest. Also it's a good way to rig train if you can get to where you were just called with a truck. As mentioned before it's also a good way to trash break. Often after I would call I would walk about a 300 yard circle looking for tracks of short tails that might of slipped in and out with out me seeing umm. Which happens a lots. I feel like it's a good little method to add to the bag of tools to help finish a dog.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:23 am

If doing this without snow, the problem with it is you saw what you saw, but you didn't see what you didn't see. And the animals that came in and you didn't see, could be what the dogs end up on. It would kind of depend on the type country you are calling in. If you see a cat, I suppose chances are pretty good you would have seen a coyote if it came in. But I wouldn't see the one that spooked downwind out of the area as I walked in to set up. There are those that have come in after I left, and I have done just enough calling in thick country to know the animals I see are just a percentage of the animals that came in.

If you are happy with running anything, then it wouldn't matter.

I like the idea, and I am not saying don't do it. Just saying a little caution might be in order in certain situations. Even deer come in to those calls at times.
Tanner Peyton
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Tanner Peyton » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:02 pm

You know David, I never though about that. Having multiple species respond to the call simultaneously. Hahah, that would be a dang mess and you had better have a real honest dog. Lot of different fresh scent in an area, perfect storm. Your right as well David, deer will respond a lot to calls. Multiple nights I've has a dozen or more does about run me over. I would call predators on the dogs days off and even go look for sign. But every once and a while when I was calling I would convince a bobcat to commit. To a novice hunter who had several hundred failed bobcat treeing events it was a welcomed opportunity to try out.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:53 pm

I have a lot of respect for anyone who has been successful calling a bobcat. There were a couple times when I thought I had, but still don't know for sure. I have never seen one that could have been shot at, or even positively identified.

Dale Looney used to describe it to me. He said you can come out on a stand with me, but if you blink your eyes or swallow, I'll kill you.

I think they are beyond my skill level.
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:19 pm

I've seen it done with fox. Load the dogs in the box, take the call out and walk it down the road a bit, call and wait. See the fox pop out, drop the tailgate and have a good race. Even just put it out and call a while and then free cast the dogs in the general area after, bingo, fox race. My friend said he has called in a few bobcat and a lion once this way. Actually not many coyotes. But this is thick, steep, brushy, tall timber mountain country.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”