Kemp hounds on hogs

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
Joshg223
Facebook ID: 0

Kemp hounds on hogs

Postby Joshg223 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:58 pm

I’m very interested in trying these Kemp dogs on hogs here in Texas but was wanting some input from people that own and hunt the dogs. I’ve searched and read a bunch on them but still wanting to know a little more about them.
I’m wanting something I’m not getting from my cur dogs. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Kemp hounds on hogs

Postby Goose » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:31 pm

What is it your lacking that your not getting from your cur dogs?
Joshg223

Postby Joshg223 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:00 pm

Bottom on a jumped hog. After a few hrs the cur dogs are done. I want something that will stay til the hog is bayed. I have a cur dog that will stay but she is getting older and trying to find something to replace has been near impossible. In the 18-19 yrs I’ve been hunting there has only been a few cur dogs that I like everything else has quite bit of hound influence. Just haven’t been able to find anything myself. Lots of culls out there though. I can only keep a small number of dogs so I’ve got to make sure what I’m feeding better do the deal. Can’t tell you how many culls I’ve been through even the dogs out of really good lines.

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:16 pm

Hopefully someone can answer your questions. It might be slow though. The people that are negative on them or on the situation are afraid of sounding too negative to the people that are positive on them. The people that are positive on them might be afraid of sounding too positive to the people that are negative about it. Hopefully you can get some of each cornered in private. If you have not talked to Mike yet, that might be the place to start. He would probably know about people that might be using them on hogs.
Joshg223

Postby Joshg223 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:47 pm

David I have spoken with mike he didn’t seem real impressed with sending them to a hog hunter. But he has few people that use them on hogs but I did not get any contact info on those guys like I should have. I have no problem spending that kind of money on a pup to better my odds of getting something I want. Lord knows what it takes to raise and feed a dog for 2 yrs just to have to cull and start all over. You do that several times and you spend more money than you would on a pup from him.

kickemall
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby kickemall » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:31 am

You might try and get ahold of George Mavrakis. He is on facebook as wild pig hunting guide service. He had or has some Kemp dogs as does a relative of his, Jason. They are in Ca.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:03 am

223, sounds like your getting a little restless with what you have, be careful with NAME bred dogs. You can waste as much time on them as your own back yard stuff. If you are at a round table discussion with 5 NAME breeders you will find that there is a lot of difference in what they believe a dog should do. When you do buy a pup from a NAME breeder and it does turn out pretty good, he will usually buy it back for a pretty good price. That should tell you something. There are not a truck load of good dogs out there. You know what you want, forget about what you hear and read a lot of that is blown out of proportion. Breed and hunt your own stuff till your satisfied,forget the NAME bred dogs. That’s how they got the name,breeding in the back yard and hunting. It’s a long process but fairly simple if you have the patience.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Before I went and spent that kinda money I would search and find a good line of running walkers to cross into your cur dogs, their the kings in the south and hold up to hard hunting, not trying to tell a man how to handle his business but I'd be breeding for track speed instead of bottom, the quicker a dog can get up on a hog the quicker he will pump the air out of him and in return he will bay quicker, it doesn't matter how much bottom a dog has if he ain't got the speed to get up on him, a hog can get in a pace and maintain it all day and much longer than the dog if he's not being pushed hard, especially if he gets in the thick, most folks on here laugh at the thought of someone's dogs getting outran by a hog and 99% of those folks think we're running pink barnyard hogs and have never hunted them themselves, especially with the Russian influenced hogs taking hold and taking over and the old free range feral bloods have for the most part been caught and killed out, the faster he has to run the more likely he is to make mistakes and the quicker he will get winded, I live and hunt in some of the thickest nastiest stuff imaginable and the hogs are pressured a lot just about year round, when we started focusing on how fast a dog can run a track instead of how long our catch rates improved significantly...
bigdog23
Facebook ID: 100004646049821

Postby bigdog23 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:01 pm

Good sound advice goose. I talked to a guy that bought I believe 2/4 dogs off mike kemp. He used them in Arkansas on hogs. He loved them. Had been hunting curs n crosses that had been in his family for years.culled them all after hunting the kemp hounds. Idk mike never talked to him personally so I have no reason to pump his dogs up. Just relaying what a guy told me. This guys dogs are getting some age on them and he was currently on a waiting list I believe to buy some more pups.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Mon May 20, 2019 2:29 pm

bigdog23
Facebook ID: 100004646049821

Postby bigdog23 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:05 pm

Not sure why he didn’t breed them. Might of all been males for all I know.
Hollowpoint
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hollowpoint » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:16 pm

I walk with Jagd's

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€