Barking on chain

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Barking on chain

Postby bowieknife50 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:03 pm

How much do you guys put up with? I have a young dog that is barking a lot any time he scents something but doesn't just sit there and bark. I hate to correct him but it doesn't work out so well when he does it at 2am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Barking on chain

Postby lawdawgharris » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:32 am

I don't allow much at all. I don't usually say much about at feeding time. But, that's the exception. They know they are kennelled and to be quiet. One reason is so I'm not awake a 2am. The other is because I have had a dog or 2 bark themselves out and never get over it. That isn't a good thing.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
bearsinva
Facebook ID: 0

Postby bearsinva » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:25 am

Don't put up with much at all. If he gets away with that he is learning that he doesn't have to obey you. The sooner he learns you are boss and you mean for him to listen to you the sooner you will have a dog that is enjoyable to be around. That is best for you and him both.
Beebout-it
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Beebout-it » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:50 am

I agree with both comments , I love hearing the dogs when they are working! But only when they are working, as soon as they know when they are aloud to be barking and when their not if they dont fall in line they get a bark collar at the house.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Thanks guys. I moved them further away from the woods and it's been much better. But if we have a relapse I'm going to get a bark collar. I've tried a few times to shut him up and I get half way back to the house and he's going again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:29 am

"Half way back to the house and he's going again". That's when you have to be committed to the task at hand! You turn around and go right back out there as many times as it takes.
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby driftwood blue » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:34 am

a bit of advise on the bark collar from experience-- get a DOGTRA YS 600-- do not leave it or any other on the dog for more than 3 days-- the points will make a sore on the neck and then infection.. I have had about every brand of bark liniter made from the cheapies from the big box stores to the Garmin Tri Tronics Bark limiters the Dogtras I have now have lasted longer than the Bark Limiters..
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:50 am

When you have a dog that wants to be a barker, get rid of it. Most of the time if a dog is giving you trouble at home, he will be about the same in the woods. Dogs are for enjoyment, not aggravation. A barker usually want do enough in the woods to be much help. There is something wrong between the ears.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:16 pm

First off make sure there isn’t an underlying problem leading to the barking, dogs fighting, or got loose, or stranger on the yard, they’re not thirsty or hungry, most of the times it’s shear boredom and rarely an issue with dogs that get hunted and ran for exercise frequently....

Dogs are a lot like kids, a little discipline from the get go pays big dividends, I WILL NOT tolerate a nuisance barker at home, other than come here command the very first thing I teach my pups is what HUSH means, they don’t have to be pups to learn new things I promise, I’ll get some criticism for this but I don’t care I pay the feed bill and scoop the sh!t around here, get a switch or piece of water hose, when said dog is barking out of place I start by slapping something with the hose that makes a loud racket while yelling hush, their only given a few tries to put 2&2 together then after that it’s a switch between the ears while I’m giving the HUSH command with a stern deliberate voice, after a few days of this then the water hose gets used between the ears while giving the HUSH command, I still have to give a refresher course every now and then but stay consistent with it no matter what, even if I just got done giving a lesson I’ll walk back over as many times as it takes to let it sink in, I’m not going to get myself worked up and lose my own self control and get outa hand with it ( I have in the past, and learned from my own mistakes) I’ll just get rid of the dog, face the facts, some dogs, just like people, don’t have the ability to learn no matter how many times they are corrected, this has rarely been the case though and most of my dogs I’ve raised from pups so they know the laws of the land around here from an early age, if the dog has the slightest bit of sense at all to him they will figure it out and most of the time all it takes is me picking up something and hitting a dog house or anything that going to make a loud noise and loudly yell hush, it will be complete silence across my yard, do you really want to invest time and money in a dog that doesn’t have the sense to figure out a pretty simple command, if there’s no absorption of the lesson given by the master at home what you think that dogs going to do in the field away from you and outa eye sight, some say it will make a dog fear you, if that becomes the issue then you either went to hard and took your own issues out on the dog or you have a dog with very little confidence and gumption to begin with, some dogs freak out and squall louder when you get on them, I hold their mouth shut while giving the HUSH command in a low, deep, stern tone until they quit freaking out, some fear is essential bc fear is respect and respect is discipline and discipline makes for an enjoyable hunt, look at case file studies on lifetime inmates and most times you’ll see the problems began as an undisciplined youth, why is it any different with dogs, look at most successful business owners, the common factor they all possess, they’re disciplined in almost all aspects of their lives, which is a result of early discipline established at a young age, again why won’t a lot of handlers apply that in pup/young dog development( got to be at least 2% smarter than the tools your working with) my father never had to whoop me more than once for doing something wrong for me to realize not to do it again and what the consequences were if I did, I didn’t fear him it was his wrath I feared if I did something I knew better than doing, I don’t know why some find it hard to apply the same concept to their dogs, I take it a step farther and don’t allow barking at feeding time either, that’s the ultimate hurdle for then to overcome but consistency pays off, if they can control themselves at feeding time then they usually become a pleasure to handle and hunt, it’s been my observation so take it how you want, but in most cases if a man has no discipline over his pack of dogs he usually has no discipline in his home either ( disrespectful children etc.) not insinuating this type are bad or poor parents, some just do things their way and let a lot of things slide, this is the biggest chaffing between my best friend and I, he has a few dogs that will get back at you louder the more you try to discipline, complete disrespect towards your status as alpha, and does nothing about it instead of putting the dog in its place, I don’t allow my dogs to rush the gate of my box when I’m unloading, I call whatever dog I want out by name and slap the others in face with my hand or the gate while giving the get back command until they get the gist, I can go take whatever dog if mine I want out by myself with hardly any trouble, it takes 2-3 of us and an act of Congress just to open his gate without his fighting you to bust out, again he’s never have or never will take the time to teach them to respect his authority, and discipline them, but will get plum mad if we have to leave the truck to go to a bay and his box sounds like a pack of coyotes singing, I see too many similarities between his dogs and youngest daughter, she’s not a bad kid and his dogs are rogue vigilante when turned loose, but neither have no respect for his authority until it’s past to late then he’s the bad guy, this one little issue, nuisance barking, is a major precursor to having an unruly undisciplined pack if not nipped it the bud, AT HOME, teach the discipline at home so when you hit the woods your time can be spent helping the dog develop and hone the skill set he’s born with instead of either having dogs that eventually cause you to lose hunting partners or are so unruly you have more trouble and aggravation instead of pleasure and enjoyment, undisciplined dogs a lot times lead to other bad habits because the dogs knows your not going to do anything about it by having dogs that aren’t allowed to bark freely when one does let out a good bark in the box you can be more certain it smelled a piece of game or track nearby and save time by not wasting time by stopping and searching for tracks or sign every time you think ole champ is rigging, by not allowing unnecessary barking you may curb a dog from letting out a bark on the rig at first but if the dog is worth its salt it eventually figured out that barking at scent of game is acceptable, if your holding up your end in trash breaking, again a foundation set in discipline early makes breaking your dogs from off game easier, they learn to know your tone change and differences if they’re doing right or wrong, then again some figure out they can get out and in the woods by lying about it and will let a bark just so you’ll turn him lose, you just have to know and trust your dogs in those situations...

Go ahead and bring on the criticism of those who don’t believe in putting a hand on a dog and claim I’m a bad trainer if I have to use that method, come see how much love and respect my dogs have for me when they see me, and observe how they react to a tone change in my voice, I’m well versed in how ecollars work and such, when it comes to trash breaking there’s a place and method for those, but far as discipline I want my dogs to understand that I’m the one bringing down the punishment, not some beep they here and then a zap from a collar, there’s a time and place for that, I use bark collars as well but rarely and usually if I know I’m going to be gone a day or so, and have a dog still learning the rules, barking dogs aggravating the neighbors has led to the demise of many hunters by having some type of authority put on your case by a persistent aggravated neighbor that never complained to the dog owner but instead went straight to law enforcement or animal right groups and to build a case to “save” and “rescue” these dogs some bogus claims and accusations are made against you leading to an entire whirlwind of troubles that could’ve been so easily avoided, I advise any skeptic to look deep into a lot of hunting dog seizure cases and you’ll find a lot of them started with a disgruntled neighbor who was tired of hearing the hunter next door dogs bark around the clock, my dog yard is 4-500 yds down the road from my house, most of the time if the dogs are cutting up it’s usually late at night of course and I swear I can here the barking over my tv, I immediately get up and go see what’s got them stirred up and 9 times outa 10 all they have to do is see my light coming and you hear crickets, my cousin and her family bought my great grandmothers old place, as my luck would have it, it’s right next to my dog yard that has been there long before they moved in, outa respect for them and to keep peace I try to stay on top of the babbling and barking and have told her husband numerous times to step out and shine the light and yell at them to hush, or go bang on a barrel to get their attention but he refuses to discipline dogs that aren’t his and says they never hear them or pay any attention to them, I do this to keep them from one day deciding they’ve had enough and stirring trouble I try to run a tight ship, they now know different sounding barks mean different things and will call me in middle of night when they fear something is wrong, plus they question any unfamiliar person or vehicle they see pull up at my place for me and always call me to let me know who the person is while the individual is still there just to look out, her husband said I always look out for them and keep it as peaceful as I can for them and respect their solitude, so they’re returning the favor by looking out, so not only could curbing chain/kennel barking help with discipline issues in my case it’s helped with keeping an eye on what goes on on my place if I’m not home, as you may have noticed by now this is my BIGGEST PET PEEVE with dogs and will get under my skin quicker than anything if it’s my dogs, others dogs at their homes or at field trials don’t bother me at all and most of them time I tune them out, let one of mine just bark and bark for no apparent reason and my blood pressure shoots up, this is so easily fixed if established on the onset of the problem, to each his own, as long as your doing right by the dogs and their welfare and well being at the end of the day that really all that matters....
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:27 pm

Goose, well put!
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 pm

I agree with muleman and goose.
Barking in the pen at home is my pet peeve also, I will not tolerate it! Train horn, siren, coyotes or other dogs howling will get mine going sometimes though. My pen is 100 yards from my back door, if their barking and I turn the back porch light on they hush mid bark.
I have never seen a dog that continuously nuisance barks, that was worth a pinch of monkey poop, in the woods.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:12 am

All you have in a dog is genetics and training or said a mother way is the environment that the dog is raised in. If I have a barking problem I look at how consistent I am at training. If that does not work I look at the dog. There are to many good bred dogs to spend a lot of time on one that is not going to work out for you. Dewey
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:00 am

Owned a young dog that had real issues with kennel barking. Breeder told me he had been that way since day one. Dog was looking so good in the woods made it difficult to part with, dog stared falling out of races, couple times found him staggering like he was drunk. Then one day after he had did a very good job on a cat race as we were turning to the truck dog collapsed, could not get up on his own. Vet discovered he had a very enlarged heart & told me that was what caused him to bark so bad in the kennel. Rare I suppose, but , true story. Al
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:08 am

Al, I can’t see why the inlarged heart caused kennel barking. The dogs that I’ve had with abnormal problems or any sickness usually are extremely quiet in the kennel. Kennel barking I’m talking about is a dog barking excitingly at something that’s not there. Brain problem, there is a strain of cur dogs that can bark non stop 24/7,probably due to close breeding. Discussed breeding dogs with a man that studied genetics at Mississippi State. He said breeding barn yard animals is for mainly improving meat, milk egg production, really not necessarily caring which way the brain goes. You can’t breed dogs that way and expect to have anywhere close to a brain you would want around the house.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”