A Legend Passes

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
scottb
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

A Legend Passes

Postby scottb » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:56 pm

Del Cameron passed away a couple days ago at home with family. Since he is a part of our history and I'm sure some on here have crossed paths with him I thought it appropriate to inform the group.
One of his grandsons has been joining me the last few years chasing lions & bobcats and clearly has a keen interest in running hounds. Apparently it's in the bloodline and looks like the torch will continue to stay lit... a rare thing anymore!
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: A Legend Passes

Postby al baldwin » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:15 am

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:04 pm

Thank you, Scott. It was thoughtful of you to let us know.

Del had a column in full cry for years. That is how folks like me knew of him back in the seventies. At one point, he called the column “Christian Houndsmen”. I wrote to him and he always answered and tried to be helpful. Even back then, I was hearing negative things about him and his dogs. In the eighties at the Kenton, Ohio nationals, a man from Missouri told me he would kill Del if he ever found him back in the mountains.

Just last night someone warned me about another feller who I didn’t know, and to avoid him.

It made me want to make sure I get to know that feller, because some day he will be gone, and I would have missed my opportunity to meet someone who had accomplished something of value. Because you can’t accomplish significant things without being disliked by someone and maybe even by a whole bunch of someones. I had thought this man had accomplished some things, and when I was told to avoid him, I became quite sure he had accomplished some things.

Much of the wisdom and many of the blessings I hold on to were given to me by folks that were disliked a whole bunch. My favorite giver of wisdom and blessing was disliked so much that people wanted to kill him also. He was Del's friend as well as mine. His name was "Yeshua" or "Yehoshua" in his language. "Jesus" in ours. I actually pity that man from Missouri who told me he would kill Del if he found him back in the mountains alone. Because Del Cameron was never alone. And if it was not Del's time to go, that man would have had to kill God and the angel army first. And once he got done with God and the angel army: surprise dude, you are just getting started. Now you gotta deal with Del Cameron.

Now that I think of it. That guy from Missouri was an idiot in the worst way.

I try to judge a man by my actual experience with them instead of someone else’s experience with them. Father, forgive me when I fail at that.

Del Cameron was always good to me and always tried to help me when I asked. I don’t keep much, but I still have those letters from Del.

Rest peacefully, Del Cameron. Our Bible says There is a resurrection and judgement coming. And that book has been right so many times, it sure gives me pause. I’ll be honest, Del, I’m not looking forward to that second part. May we both be granted mercy, my brother. We need it bad. I know you agree. See you then.

“Go rest high on that mountain
Son, your work on earth is done...”

(Vince Gill)
Last edited by david on Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 pm

Wow real surprised not to see more pay respect to Del being so many that make money off of his name and hard work. I first meet Del and Kit back in the late 80s , he did more in one life then most could do in 2 or 3 life's. And had a true love for his Lord and savior Jesus Christ
Get JESUS In Your Life & Your Dog's In The Wood's

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:40 pm

20200112_121334~3.jpg
Me and Del back in the late 80s

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Jeff Eberle
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Jeff Eberle » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:47 pm

20200112_121350~2.jpg
some of his hounds from back then

CLAVEY RIVER CUR'S
Mehunter

Postby Mehunter » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:58 am

I only learned of Del and his hounds a couple years ago. At the time I wasn’t in the market for a hound. After Reading his book a couple different times plus doing other research I finally decided that we would get a Cameron bluetick. As I write this the dog the we ended up with is laying on the couch beside me curled up fast asleep. We couldn’t have gotten a better fit for our family. He is my kids, wife and my best friend. Hopefully people keep breeding this line of dogs and keep his name going plus give credit where credit is due. If it wasn’t for everything that Del did the bluetick breed wouldn’t be where it is. I wish I had been able to meet him and try to gather as much information as I could about what it takes to to live the lifestyle that he did.
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:04 pm

RIP Del!

I first met Del in 1970 when he was living in Victor he had the big blue dogs back then. He left a lot of tracks from those big old boots in those mountains. He was a woodsman and hound man from the ground up, and he also did a lot for the Bluetick breed establishing a very fine line of big game hounds ,that will live on.
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:08 am

Hi this is a poem wrote about raising our hounds I thought it would be something to share on memory of del God bless

At the base of a large white pine. with my hounds all around.
And a bear majestically perched up in the tree .
In awe I stand Jesus and me this is often were we met i and HE.
AT THE BEUTIFULL PLACE WE HOUNDSMEN CALL THE TREE.
The Lord has blessed me to see my puppies grow into hounds I thought I would never live to see. They learned to trail and bay .
And with time they learned to catch and to stay .
Late threw the night they hold the tree as they wait for me .
They stayed well at the place we houndsmen call the tree.
AND with the morning light we found the bear up high to our delight.
Ah what a sight we did see Jesus and me .
At that beutifull place we houndsmen call the tree.
IF YOU know him not my fellow houndsmen just wisper his name .
JESUS.
He will meet you at that beautiful place we Christians call calvery.
The place where Christ was hung for sinners upon A Tree .

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:42 am

Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 am

Thanks David
I have never read that book but I sure would like to but I here its out of print does anybody know we're to get a copy or have a copy for sale I don't know much about del but I have some hounds here that go back to his breeding and when I tried to look him up on the Web. It brought up his page about his hounds and so on but I also noticed he had a reference to the word of God and I respected the man for that I have talked with many people here and there about del and he sounds like a guy I wish I could have known and I'm glade to know that buy gods grace I will get to meet him some day on the other side of the river

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 am

Last edited by david on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:05 am

Wow I had no idea that he wrote he wrote Christian articles like that that is great I heard he wrote a book about raising hounds and stuff like that is the magazine still produced and does it still have the Christian houndsman section

david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:14 am

I think the magazine might still be around. Del quit writing the column when he was told he needed to tone down all the Jesus stuff. :shock: :lol: .
Ladies and Gentlemen: Del Cameron.

Ben Lilly took some heat for his faith in Jesus also. And a lot of lions and bears were thankful when Ben refused to move on his weekly day of rest.

Del should be in pretty good company at the resurrection.
Last edited by david on Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:32 am

And where would I get a copy of your book David I would love to read it some people hunt for something to do in there spare time and some people are born hunters and they find time to do other things besides hunting out of necessity it is in your being it is who we are hunters and that God given gift is is a hard thing to express and put onto physical paper in words that describe physical terms what we are experiencing in our spirit because for us we are participating in a spititual hunt including man and his hounds and the game they persue and all of this taking place on and the very creation that was made for them to do the very thing we were created to do and in that moment of reconition all that he has made points to the maker and says Thank the him and they the physically introduce us to the spirit of God the creator of all this it is so hard to explain what we experience in his presence what a gift we have received to be able to hunt and how to express it is so hard to do as you see here how a fumble threw words to say I would enjoy reading the experiences of any man who hunts with the Lord and is humble enough to share those moments of diciple ship and instruction from the greatest teacher in the grandest of classrooms

As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another sounds like del did his share of sharpening

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”