How many dogs

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: How many dogs

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:40 pm

I use to judge small pack beagle trials where the winner pack came back 7 dogs. I fairly certain all seven dogs are smelling game. I’ve seen all dogs packed up tight in single file and the 7th dog pick a check out between the 6th dog legs and move out in a different direction. I don’t know about faster dogs, have run them a lot for the last 20 yrs but never looked at a pack from horseback. I watched through thin timber from the dog box and saw a lot of crossings with 12-15 dogs but can’t tell. I’ve seen dogs make a crossing either up steam or down stream of scent but can’t say I ever saw one that was running sent that wasn’t there. I don’t rely on the Garmin either, just to let me now wher they are when I’m ready to go.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:08 pm

Lawdawg, was referring to dogs that over run the track giving mouth regularly, slot of 'fast' dogs dont have nose to hold game. I seen a July sell for big money one time. Had wonderful speed and drive in a deer proof fox hunt, always in front end, hunted with her (belonged to a buddy) quite a bit one summer, we caught some game and had decent dogs then. she was generally 1 or 2 in every crossing, wanted to compete to get to front, but couldnt run a fox in a thicket by herself 25 yards. I know she couldnt smell it, but she had learned to read that pack and stay just in front the real dogs.

Muleman, like seeing a hound running 30 feet off track head up giving mouth and still turning even with where the game is, running it by wind, they ain't always gotta be in track to smell.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:59 pm

Perk, don/t take this wrong, honest question. Do a majority of dogs you raise have the ability have the track style to catch most of the hard running cats they jump? Al
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:46 pm

Al, most of the dogs I raise do contribute to finishing the cat and fox races I run. Some get away, especially my local educated foxes I run often and take care of. But on a jumped race my expectation in general is a catch, hole, or tree. All dogs I hunt contribute, if at 3 yrs old I dont miss hearing you, or your help when I leave you at home for some reason you probably arent gonna make it in my pack. I dont cull alot of pups I raise, nor do the guys who get pups from me. In past 10 years maybe 3 dogs I've raised, which I raise lot of dogs. 1 I culled for being aggressive on truck to strange males but not my dogs, 1 was a 3/4 trigg i didnt like the outcome, although some people love their littermates on cats in a northern state, and 1 who hunted to wide on a loss and would get out pocket more than I liked, , but is making another man really happy. I have culled more dogs I got as small pups and raised up from friends and others over the same time period. The ones I raise tend to suit me and work in my area. Does that answer what your asking Al?
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:06 pm

Yes,thanks Al
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:47 pm

Good explanations perk

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:36 am

I know this is a old thread but I'm trolling around bored. Hunting in the national forest is closed down because of covid! I'm with Perk, I hunt to hear the roar of a pack. I hunt mostly with one buddy we have 10 to 16 or so between us most of the time. But I like to run alone too with my 6 or 8. I hunt em all in front of the truck, one gets 90% of the strikes but if she's out in heat or laid up I think I still jump just as much game.
As far as how many are smelling game in a big pack, many times I have smelled a fox myself minutes after the pack has passed so I'm sure a dog could smell it. Now the question is, how far behind the pack are you going to put up with a dog opening (because I believe it can smell the game) before you consider it opening on a covered track. To me, if it's behind the pack it better shut up till it catches up.
I hunt mostly at night, I have to depend on my ears to tell me a lot, l have a good light and get to as many crossings as I can to see also, but a "me to dog" will tell on itself, it may fool me for a while but it'll get figured out.
David, I built the pack I have now backwards from the way you did, I started with a dog that could find game and get it running before I worried about The end. Fox and cat are not plentiful where I hunt, I figured I had to get one running before I worried about catching one.
I've never experienced snow hunting, or hunting in mountains and rock or desert so what we do is apples and oranges somewhat.
Even though we mostly hunt bigger packs, i expect every one of my dogs to be able to do a respectable job hunting alone.
Nolte
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Nolte » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:44 pm

Scrub, I cant speak for david but I'm used to hunting where he did. Cats here are mostly snow hunting and some days you better not leave a track to go find a better one cause you probably won't. So you usually got to work whatever track you find. In snow you can jump a cat without a dog if you want really want to but its darn tough to catch them. And that cat might be a lot further away than you think or 200 yards in the woods. Usually the dogs that can pick and pick to jump them really struggle when those cats start doing their thing and making messes. That is where those good locate or finish dogs really shine. A complementing 2 dog team just seems to work best and up the odds. I'd love to hear a good 10 dog race bit its just not real practical here or even legal for bear. Not that it's ever happened though by accident of course.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€