Maybe a dumb question...

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Maybe a dumb question...

Postby bowieknife50 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:44 pm

But does anybody else really enjoy listening to their dogs eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawdawgharris
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Maybe a dumb question...

Postby lawdawgharris » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:50 pm

Lmbo not me

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:33 am

:shock: nope doesn’t tickle my fancy, but to each their own
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:34 am

Yes I do we feed raw meet and after walking threw the barking hounds feeding out junks of meat and bones the dogs all quiet down and then you can here all the dogs chewing and crunching it sounds nice and a feeling of contentment is spread threw the hole yard it sounds good . So no your not wacky and neither am I it's the rest of the world that is crazy LOL

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:24 am

Never really noticed dogs eating,but we raised a good many hogs to butcher and I always feed hogs. I fed ear corn and I really like to watch and listen to hogs eating corn off the cob and rooting around, they seem to talk to each other with grunts and sounds. The lot even had a different smell at feeding time.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:28 pm

It’s give me a feeling of contentment looking across the yard at everything full, healthy, and happy, but I do watch my dogs eat, especially the ones who eat as if they’re starving and a pack of wolves is about to devour their meal, I use this opportunity to put an even better handle on them, it takes a little time but I’ll make them eat dang near one piece at a time with the words “slow down”, once they know that command I can use it in the woods especially if they’re grubbing out a hard old track and I’m walking with them, they know they better slow themselves down and In return they learn to pay more attention to the task and not get to hyped up and work themselves right out of a potential jump, it’s not something that comes easy and most of the time I’m not with them to work them like this but when I can it sure helps both them and I, hunger and eating are the main components that make living things tick other than the desire to procreate and reproduce, if you can control that desire to eat and overcome hunger in your pack or individual dogs by verbal command then you can open the doors to much better handling and overall experience for yourself and the hound, I don’t believe it makes a big difference in performance but it sure does help a little and I’m all about being as efficient as possible in everything and every way I can...
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:54 pm

I have a friend that is a pig farmer and they have pigs that are culls or die for one reason or another and in the cold part of the winter sometimes I’ll put a whole frozen pig in with a dog. I enjoy watching them use the different teeth that God gave them to eat it. The whole pig will disappear. Hide, guts, hooves. Even the teeth are gone! I marvel at watching them pull the hide off of a frozen critter. Have you ever tried to skin something that’s frozen? I did a frozen deer once and my gut hurt for days from pulling down on the hide. A dog makes it look easy.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
bowieknife50
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby bowieknife50 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:43 pm

I never noticed it until I built a new winter kennel this year. Now my 3 are right next to each other. I have to dump food then stay out there until they’re done because I have to move their heated water bowls back to where they can reach. It’s just nice to sit there and listen to them and not do anything else for a few minutes each day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:40 pm

This is a fascinating thread. The question shocked me and I laughed pretty hard. And I am captivated by some of the responses.

Just when I thought BGH could not produce any new topics that have never been discussed on here before...
Bear hounder
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Bear hounder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:54 am

LOL you know the bears are sleeping when we sit around listen to the hounds eating . But when you think of it eating is something that we do with our closest friends and family maybe that is why we enjoy spending time with our hounds when there eating besides that hounds don't talk with there mouth full lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:50 am

I enjoy feeding mine. In my big pen I have benchs "like dog show benchs" for each dog that I feed them on, I enjoy walking down there and saying, get in your spot, and they all go jump up on their bench. I will not step foot in the pen until they are all in their spot. I have a few deer dogs in smaller pens with houses along the back about tailgate high, I tell them, get in the house, I won't step foot in their pen unless they are in the house. I set their feed pans on the ground but they have to stay in the house until I snap my fingers and tell em, alright eat it. Then I sit in a chair, watch em eat then gather up the pans.
It may be wrong but I allow the dogs in the pen with the benchs to protect their feed, another words if one finishes and try's to get to another's feed. I've never seen a dog on the ground not back down from one standing on the bench.
I basically probably just enjoy them doing what I say because my wife and kids never have.
I was given the job of feeding the dogs when I was about 6 years old, dad always had from 6 to 10 head, when I was a kid I hated it.
But since being grown, several times when life tragedies have occurred, feeding the dogs, sitting petting them and "yes" talking to them have always seemed to bring some sort of balance back into life and make things better.
With all that said, which ain't much, I enjoy feeding good dogs, sometimes I feel stupid feeding some I got.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”