Separating Hounds??? Why??

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
BrennenHeddin
Facebook ID: 0

Separating Hounds??? Why??

Postby BrennenHeddin » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:06 pm

So In the videos, I watch they always have their dogs separated! I can't seem to find out why! They don't fight and when the females go into heat I'll separate them. The males mostly get along! An occasional brawl may break out! Are they going to be worse off as hunters being all together? I saw one thing posted by a trainer that said he separated the dog so it needed more attention and would have more of a desire to please! Kinda makes sense but other than that I haven't found a reason!
FullCryHounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Separating Hounds??? Why??

Postby FullCryHounds » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:34 am

I use to keep all my dogs in separate kennels. 20 years ago, I switched and now keep them in a one acre run. They all sleep in one 8’ long insulated box. No more foot soreness problems and zero barking. Most barking is from being bored in a tiny kennel. Wish I would have done this 40 years ago. I run only male dogs.
Dean Hendrickson
Pine, CO.
Rocky Mountain Wildlife Studios
rmwildlifestudios.com
SASS
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Separating Hounds??? Why??

Postby SASS » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:09 pm

I've heard all kinds of theories on this from separating them out at about 3 or 4 months tends to make them more independent, also to prevent big brawls from breaking out when you are not there, to making it easier to manage their weight with feeding them all separate. Not sure if any of that is true but those are the things I have heard.

Also I have known plenty of houndsmen that have kept all of their adult males together and all of their adult females together. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”