Running dogs

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
cablues
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Running dogs

Postby cablues » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:38 am

What is everyone’s thoughts on breeding running dogs into lion and bear dogs? Is there any positives or negatives.
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Running dogs

Postby GVBEAR » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:55 am

I believe a lot of people are doing it these days. Adding running dog into their bear dogs or adding full running dogs into their pack. I have a couple with half running dog in them maybe a little less. But I like them because of the endurance and speed. But I can say one took a little longer to start treeing than the other I got. But was aware of that before I took the pup. Just my thoughts
cablues
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby cablues » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:35 pm

How do the running dogs nose compare to a tree hound in your opinion?
1whitedog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1whitedog » Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:59 pm

If game is consistently out running you then i think that adding some running dog may be an option you would consider. That being said there are alot of trade offs mostly in my observation in the cold trailing category. I personally know of more than a couple gentlemen here locally with alot of money in running dogs in their kennel here close that are looking for someone to start them a track. Also know some with a kennel full of running dogs that have went out and purchased a trail hound and do quite well. Im not a lion hunter but my understanding is that is more of a trailing game so think running dogs would be less desirable. My observation is that there are hounds out their that can consistently run with the running hounds out there and cold trail on top of it. Im not saying there everywhere out there and not saying easy to get pups out of people that keep those type of hounds but they are out there. I know of several packs here with some of the best running dogs money can buy in them and those running dogs don't lead the pack.
perk
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby perk » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:05 pm

1whitedog. Just a thought....
The best running dogs money can by is an oxymoron, the best running dogs money can buy cant be bought.
'If the hounds dont catch him on top, It doesnt count'
'Day Light and Eye Sight DONT LIE!'
EGO is not your AMIGO
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:30 pm

I will let you know... me a buddy of mine that runs bobcats down in South TX traded dogs .. Ieft him with one of my lion hounds and I took a 1/2 bluetic 1/2 running walker .. he is still a young dog but is real gamey .. so far the dog I sent to my buddy is doing well and staying with his dogs and from what he says is a lot colder then what he has. Henry McIntyre I've been told always had a running dog in his pack .. he hunted similar country what I hunt dry SW desert ... all that being said I do believe to a certain extent the hounds are a product of their environment..
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:07 pm

People have been doing that for years. My personal opinion is I like running dog but further back in a dogs ancestry. Most people want the speed and endurance that comes from running dog blood but the downside is you sometimes lose nose, treeing and even tracking ability. By that I mean they swing to far off track, let me add that some people like that.
Before some of you want to kill me let me say this is from my experience and what I like as a cat and fox hunter.
I now have 2 thirteen month old youngsters that have Trigg ,July and Running Walker in their blood and I love them . They're not finished but they're cold trailing, running hard and treeing good and have been for months.
Just my opinion.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:05 pm

To stop all the wondering what will work adding running blood to pot licker, why don’t about three of you follows out west load up and don’t stop till you get to Kiln Ms. stop at the feed stores, local mom and pop businesses and start asking who has the best outside running walkers in the area. That area will probably be more concentrated with good outside dogs as you will find nationally. Go to the man and tell what you are doing and buys complete litter of pups from the dogs (HE) recommends, not what you like the looks of. Haul them back to your territory and let the best hunter raise and train the entire litter together without the help of any other dogs. A good hunter want have any problem doing this. I believe you will be surprised at how fast these running dogs that in the hands of good hard hunters will do the job. You might find there is no need for any pot licker blood.
Twopipe
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Twopipe » Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Macedonia Mule Man that sounds like a road trip I’d like to make.
A good dog hunts wherever he's set down.
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:07 pm

With bobcat hunting if you are not treeing bobcats speed has very little to do with it. What you need from running dogs is not the speed it is the way they run a track. They alway push ahead and not rehash a track like dogs can be that are bred for cold trailing. They do not open unless they are leading or running the scent funnel. Upon a loose you will not hear them babbling on a loose . Speed will cost you a cat if dogs over run a squatting cat giving the cat a break, dogs need to hold a track and make the turns that a cat makes. Some of the best cat dogs that I have had were not fast dogs but dogs that could carry a track not making looses. You can get cold trailing dogs that are running dog. AS with any breed they very as to what traits they have within the breed.One needs to find what works for them. Running dogs have a lot over our tree dogs, good conformation , can hold up to hunting day after day, smart and easy to train and some can really cold trail. The down side of them is treeing in our big timber out here and some are soft, shy dogs that do not work for some people. That said there is no magic cure to make a bobcat dog. It takes a lot of hard hunting with knowledge of the bobcat and ability to find the combination of dogs that work for you where you hunt. Any dog can catch a bobcat, a few can catch several. The ones that catch most every cat they start are rare. One good dog can make it it look easy. Dewey
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:06 pm

Dewey he was talking about breeding running dogs into tree dogs for lion and bear. Not what it takes to catch the elusive bobcat...
dwalton
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby dwalton » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:01 am

I have not hunted or bred dogs for lion or bear for over 30 years.The dogs I breed do well on both lion and bear. Dogs trained on bear or lion are not bobcat dogs, most never make a top bobcat dog once started on big game. Bobcats are not hard to catch with dogs or with the right dogs with a hunter that hunts hard. There are hunters in the Northwest and Texas that tree 50 to over 100 bobcats every year. Most have running blood in there dogs but it is not the speed that catches lots of bobcats its how the dogs handle a track and a hard core man behind the dogs. Dewey
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:21 am

I think the word running dogs register in the mind of some people as fast. From the videos I’ve seen of people catching bobcats, I think the fastes dogs I’ve seen were the south Texas dogs. The really good bobcat dogs I’ve hunted with in the southeast are not really what I would call fast. The only places a dog can really run fast down here would be some type opening, logging road, fire lane,4wheelrt trale. I think the term fast dogs down here is something being talked in the boys that run pens.if you go to the pens and do very much hunting on the outside you will see the dogs that are keeping the game moving are not really that fast. Fast seems to be a mind set. When you are young ,you want a fast car, when you get a little age on you , you start thinking reliability. Wish I wanted a fast car again.
Cowboyvon
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Cowboyvon » Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:25 pm

I just interviewed a man in South TX that has been hunting bobcats for 50 something years I guess ( Ruben Lassman) .. and I went and hunted with some guys while I was there.. all running walkers ... they have bobcats down there like we have jack rabbits .. totally different environment and hunting style
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.

Henry David Thoreau
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby GVBEAR » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:33 pm

Mine are all crossed with tree hounds i would say. I do have a a couple with no running dog in them. But to say the pure tree dog compared to the running dog cross is hard for me. I would say right now they are about equal with noses. I am not sure I would say I have cold nose dogs either more medium nosed. Each person seems to have a different definition for nose power. For how I run and what I run for dogs the nose seems to be the same between them, it is the endurance and the ability to catch faster I see and prefer. I did a lot of research and talking with the guys dogs before I got a pup. Which I can say one of the running dog crosses took a little longer to start treeing. I agree with Macedonia mule man, spend time finding the dog style you want to hunt or dogs breed the way you hunt. It will be better in the long run. I do like a dog with the a cold nose but I also don't want a dog that will spend all day trailing one and don't see the game. I want a dog that if it opens, I know I will see the critter. If not I will move along and try another track or bait.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€