What type of gun do you carry with you hunting?

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
rickyfarrell10
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

What type of gun do you carry with you hunting?

Postby rickyfarrell10 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:37 pm

Whether you bear, hog, cat or whatever kind of hound hunting you do, what gun do you carry? This is my 3rd season back to having hounds and I don’t ever carry a gun with me hunting. No matter if it’s training season or kill season. I just like taking my hounds out seeing them work. I Have no want to kill another bear unless it has to be done. But this year I have caught more bear on the ground and had a couple dogs killed, unfortunately it was training season and I couldn’t of killed the bear anyways. But it’s had me thinking about what if it would of been kill season. It starts in December so I have Been thinking about buying a good slug gun, something I can beat around in the buggy and not worry about scratching it or beating it up. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on a good slug gun or anything else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GVBEAR
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: What type of gun do you carry with you hunting?

Postby GVBEAR » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:03 pm

I run with a 45-70 Henry lever action. Open sights no scope. Not exactly a light gun to carry but can take a beating and make it count. It is usually always in the truck but really only brought out if someone needs it or asked to be back up.
rickyfarrell10
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby rickyfarrell10 » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:12 pm

A buddy that I hunt with has a 45-70, weight was the only thing that I don’t like about it and that it will blow your ear drums out lol. That was my second option if I don’t find something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
not color blind
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby not color blind » Sun Oct 30, 2022 12:54 am

Check out the mossberg shockwave or remington tac-14. Close range 'shotguns'
Hollowpoint
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Hollowpoint » Sun Oct 30, 2022 1:16 am

I do all walking in the mountains with a pair of Jagd's. I don't really catch much but for the most part I carry a Kimber 10mm.
I walk with Jagd's
Renagade Curs
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Renagade Curs » Sun Oct 30, 2022 4:03 pm

I've carried a 6 inch stainless Ruger GP100 in 357 for years I use to carry a Glock 31 (357 Sig) a lot sold it to a hunting buddy wish I'd kept it I've killed some really large boar hogs with both. I've killed some with my Glock 19 in 9mm right ammo it does the job. Someday I'd like to get a Glock 41 in 10mm and a AR carbine to match it.
Rowdy Fitz
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Rowdy Fitz » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:32 pm

I carry two different pistols. A Taurus snub nose .38 or a Glock 21. Leaning more towards the Taurus because it’s so much lighter. It’s about half the weight and I’m trying to cut down on how much I carry when chasing the hounds. Snow covered mountains here in NV are pretty rough going.
Spencer
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Spencer » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 pm

I carry a Ruger Single Six in .32 mag. worst thing I will run into is porcupine and coyotes.
1whitedog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 1whitedog » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:17 am

I haven't gone to the woods with the intention of harvesting something in years. In non grizzly country a 10 mm or 45 that you are confident, comfortable and competent with will give you piece of mind and allow you to take care of allot of situations. A long gun is going to give you more immediate stopping power and give you allot more range to make a safe effective shot into a small window. In the mountains if I have a long gun it is a 30-30 in 336 youth model. In the flat ground a 870 with slugs. I have also seen some lever acting 44 mag trap guns I have liked but I have to have a 100% confidence in what I'm carrying going boom, a couple times if necessary, the 1911, 336 and 870 have earned my trust. These days allot of people are building ar pistol platforms that they can dissemble and carry in their packs. One thing to consider that allot of people overlook is over penetration can be an issue with a high power rifle in a crowded creek. Good hunting
Ross Seiler

Postby Ross Seiler » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:43 pm

When we could still bear hunt here I always carried a 44 pistol and then had a trapper model lever action 44 in the pickup. Now days I wiil have either a single six 22 and a single six 17hmr on me
Nufo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Nufo » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:14 pm

I’m thinking about getting a 327 magnum revolver for cat hunting. High powered magnum loads for lions and 32 shorts for bobcat cats.

I carry my 44 mag bisley hunter for big game and a 22 Smith amd Wesson for coons

Also have a 22 mag rifle I like for coons, bobcats and squirrels

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogsâ€