QUESTION FOR OREGON HOUND HUNTERS

Talk about Big Game Hunting with Dogs
DUKEDOG

QUESTION FOR OREGON HOUND HUNTERS

Postby DUKEDOG » Mon May 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Can you run hounds for yotes? year round? cant seem to find any thing on their web page or regs. If so if non-res has hunting lic. could they also run them also?
Thanks
Duke
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: QUESTION FOR OREGON HOUND HUNTERS

Postby mike martell » Tue May 26, 2009 3:12 am

according to the rules you are supposed to be able to run coyotes legally. but you will be cited for bird nesting rule/ dogs running at large from april through july according to osp, any place you put a dog down constitutes bird nesting habitat.except a blacktop highway/plowed field.it also only applies to hound dog owners. if you had any other dog breed they will not issue you a citation.in oregon the osp are the judge and jury and hang man. kinda like judge roy bean! or you own a hound guilty as hell hang the bas@#$*s. this rule is the heated topic here in oregon. our oregon state police are supposed to enforce the rules while our odfw makes the rules. our osp like to abuse there authority in oregon.this all changed because a select few hunters continued to hunt bear and lie to the cops about running coyotes. so instead of a cop doing his job, it is easier to label all who frequent the woods as bear hunters.the bottom line is this, makes for more time osp can spend at the donut factory instead of doing the job they get paid to do. jmo....
bluedogs
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bluedogs » Tue May 26, 2009 5:39 pm

i have heard that oyu can go to odfw and get a written paper that will allow you to run dogs during bird nesting season a guy i now went to odfw and complained about not being able to take his yote dogs out his argument was his dogs were not running at large they were running a yote either ways he talked to them enough and got a piece of paper signed and all stating he could be out in the woods with his dogs. even if a cop wanted to write a ticket he couldnt cuz of that paper. go to odfw and start complainin talke to the head honchos there and tell them you want to run and explain the diffrence between a dog running at large and a dog running game there 2 diffrent meanings.
cant never could
livetohunt
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby livetohunt » Tue May 26, 2009 7:24 pm

Boy I have to say thats just a damn shame when a guy has to go get a paper to run his own dogs on land that his tax dollars pay for. If they are willing to let a man that goes in and tells them he is hunting to run his dogs then every other person thats out hunting should be able to do it too. I would think that if anyone that got busted for running there dogs should sue the fish and game now. They need to find some guys that have these papers and use that as there grounds. Does it say in the law that you must have this paper to run your dogs? Sounds to me like the State cops need to get on the ball with fish and game.
I hate to see this happen to any houndsmen we ALL must fight this guys if they can do it in Oregon they can do it in your state as well.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Tue May 26, 2009 8:12 pm

just because the odfw issues you a permit doesn't mean nothing. i know this all to well. under oregon law a person issued anything by odfw is only as good as the first time osp challenges the legality of the document.the osp revert back to as will a judge. that ignorance of the law is no excuse.example, in early 2000, i was doing depredation in southern oregon, working with odfw central point oregon, the biologist name was rosemary stussey.she authorized a permit that was exclusive to the use of hounds and harvesting. when completed i read the permit. i told her that my opinion of the permit was the osp would over ride her authority, i suggested she fax a copy over to osp for review before i venture out and harvest a bear on the permit. well it took a couple of days and osp returned to rosemary a statement of illegal activity by there definition with her issuing the permit.osp is as of today the authority having jurisdiction in oregon over the governing body who makes the rules that being odfw.this is not the usual o.r.s. it is classified as an administrative rule. in the first place the osp have take again the wording out of context.as soon as i had the paper in hand from odfw i would go to lord and captain walt markee of the salem oregon state police and see if the paper holds water. i would demand another permit in writing from osp. than i would use caution. with me it is a train wreck waiting to happen. good luck!
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Tue May 26, 2009 8:50 pm

NOTICE TO ALL OREGON HOUND HUNTERS.I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH JANICE BELLIS FROM THE SALEM ODFW. SHE DID CONFIRM THAT SPECIAL PERMITS ARE BEING ISSUED FOR THOSE WHO MAKE A CASE ABOUT RUNNING COYOTES. YOU NEED TO CONTACT THE DISTRICT OFFICE CLOSEST TO YOUR REGION AND OBTAIN A PERMIT THAT ALLOWS YOU TO RUN A COYOTE WITHOUT BEING TICKITED FOR BIRD NESTING. I POSED THE QUESTION OF LEGALITY. SHE SAID, SIR I'M NOT A LAWYER.I WOULD USE CAUTION. MAYBE IN THE MORNING I WILL RUN OVER TO CAMP ADAIR AND PICKUP MINE THAN GO BY O.S.P JUST FOR FUN. :P THIS WILL LAST ABOUT ONE DAY.TOMORROW WE WILL BE JUST LIKE WASHINGTON STATE, THEY WILL BAN RUNNING COYOTES WITH HOUNDS.BUTTTTTTT..... LETS ALL GO LIKE HELL UNTIL THEY BAN US! :D :beer
orcatdog
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby orcatdog » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:03 pm

This is all good info guys and good work on the research. A couple years ago I use to run greyhounds sighthunting coyotes here in SE Oregon.
My 2 cents about the bird nesting laws. It really seems to be geographically enforced. Im my neck of the woods there are so many ranchers with BLM and FS permits there are way more cow dogs in the woods than hounds. Never seen a ticket here for bird nesting violations. In other areas of the state it is just a tool to mess with people IMO. Anyway, with all of the ranchers and cowdogs, retirees and their poodles, and tree huggers with their labradoodles in the woods, I would think any decent attorney could prove that it is a BS law and definitely not enforced across the state. If it ever went that far and someone got a ticket.
I say go for it and run them.
nuttybuddy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby nuttybuddy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:42 pm

The bird nesting law had good intentions originally. It was enacted to protect nesting game birds from being disturbed by people training [b]bird dogs[b], not hounds, not pets, not any other type of dog. Someone in OSP game division apparently has a particular hatred for houndsmen and started this campaign which now has become enforced for hounds only. Go to any trailhead on any forest and you'll see the tree huggers with their various breeds. They head into prime bird nesting habitat and are never bothered by any law enforcemect. When Rod Klawitter was still alive, he and I tried as hard as we could to get a citation specifically on this issue to take it to court. We even put the word out to some of the local officers in an attempt to get this to court to get it straightened out.....no takers. If any of you in Oregon get a ticket for violating this BS law, please contact an officer of Oregon United Sporting Dog or letter the owner of this site (Buddy) know, because it needs to be delt with. Surely these law enforcement people have other real issues to pursue. G.T.
Greg and Arlene
John Weston
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby John Weston » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:47 am

How many people out there have got one of these bird nesting tickets? I think this not as big of a deal as its being made out to be.In 10 years of hunting my dogs I have only seen one cop in the woods and that was the last day of elk season. So lets here from those who have been writen one of these tickets and how much it cost.
Cathunter10
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cathunter10 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:56 am

Iwas personally gave one for roading my dogs out on the desert behind Vale.It cost me a $150.00 Thats when I left Oregon.No its no big deal tellYOU get caught.
Bill
nuttybuddy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby nuttybuddy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:39 pm

Hey Bill; How bout I come down your way and you can show me how to catch cats? We are moving to Idaho mid winter to get out of this liberal infested nut house. Where are you at? G.
Greg and Arlene
Cathunter10
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby Cathunter10 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm

2black/tan
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby 2black/tan » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:49 am

when you have to find loop holes to run hounds,get caught ,bitch about gettn caught well maybe you should hang it up.
jcathunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 1654317690

Postby jcathunter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:36 am

A couple years ago, I made a lot of calls to OSP in salem about this and was told that a dog that is legally hunting is not "running at large" and coyote hunting is open year round and they are legal to run with dogs. The problem is that the officers do not believe any houndsman that says he's running yotes. After a few guys got in trouble, Mike is right in saying that OSP considers every houndsman a no good outlaw and liar. Personally,I think its much more "high profile" to catch a houndsman doing any little thing than it is to catch guys shooting deer and elk and leaving them to waste and houndsmen are easier to track because there are so few of us around so we pay the price by being wrongly judged and under a microscope any time we want to go into the woods.

Return to “Big Game Hunting With Dogs”