Stay Vigilant

BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Stay Vigilant

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:40 am

I received an email a couple days ago informing me that, Jim Allen, has been named as the new head of the, Travel-Recreation-Wildlife Committee, that governs alot of things regarding the Wyoming Game & Fish Department. Also of note, Eli Bebout, is the president of the state senate.

Now, for those of you who don't know who these two gentlemen are, Mr. Allen is the sponsor of the bill brought before the legislature earlier this year during the budget session that would have legalized the trapping and snaring of mountain lions. Mr. Bebout was the cosponsor of that bill.

This measure was shot down, but I have been told by more than one person, the only reason for that was the fact they were in a budget session rather than a regular legislative session. Had that bill gone through, it would have given the G&F Commission the authority to set rules and regulations in regards to the trapping and snaring of lions. It has been told to me, similar legislation will be introduced during this upcoming regular session, but the difference will be, this new bill will require the commission to set rules and regs instead of them merely having the option to.

Hopefully, those behind this will have moved on to something else by the time the legislature convenes and we won't have to worry about it, but we need to pay close attention. Legislation like this, where a small group decides to act in haste, could have some very detrimental affects on the other sportsmen of this state. It was told to me, the Wyoming Trappers Association, voted to take a neutral stance on this issue. With all of the negative potential that is possible should this bill pass, I would like to see them take a stance in opposition. Regardless, the Wyoming Federation of Houndsmen, will be keeping on eye on this and we will be in, Cheyenne, to oppose it, should it be introduced again.

Tex
=2
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Stay Vigilant

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:05 am

I have been keeping Ma Bell in business over this past week. Early last week I was able to visit with, Jim Allen, who is the state rep that introduced the mountain lion trapping and snaring bill during the last legislative session. I asked him straight up if he had any intention of re-introducing that bill again during the next session. He said that due to a lack of support, he didn't think he would be trying to push it through again.

We visited about his reasoning behind it and when he finished telling me his side, I asked if he would listen to the reasons why we thought it was a bad idea. I laid out numerous reasons to support our position and then finished up by telling him there are already regulations surrounding the methods allowed to eliminate threats from mountain lion predation.

I am pretty sure I was able to head things off as far as, Mr. Allen, was concerned, but he did say that State Senator, Dave Kinskey, from Sheridan, may have intentions of introducing similar legislation. As soon as I heard that I was on the horn with, Senator Kinskey. He said he was still on a fact finding mission in regards to the 'why's and wherefores', so I asked if he would be interested in hearing some opposing opinions. He did a good job of listening and then he followed up with G&F to ask about the rules and regs that are already in existence. I hope I'm not being to premature on this, but I think we may have things headed off from this front as well.

Both lawmakers were somewhat surprised when I informed them that the Wyoming Trappers Association had voted and had taken an official stance of opposition to any legislation along these lines. This was happy news for me as well. In preparation to call and oppose a trapping and snaring bill on lions, I called and spoke with Tome Krause of the Trappers Association and he informed me they were officially against it. He and I then had a long discussion on the legislation that we are currently working on. Tomorrow he will be meeting with some representatives from the G&F Department, so that they can better explain what we have been working on. I feel fairly confident that we will have their support on the hunter overcrowding legislation.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to call me.

Thanks
Tex Adams, President
Wyoming Federation of Houndsmen
=2
BAR BAR 2
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Re: Stay Vigilant

Postby BAR BAR 2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 am

=2

Return to “Wyoming”