Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby Coonslayer101 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Coonslayer101 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:33 pm

Cfanno01: you getting your hounds ready to see how a true coon hunter works ready to learn something? Heck my green dog is ready to teach as well.
dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 am

Wow, that is all...
dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:14 am

Kcanterbury, for any useful info refer back to page 1 on this post, read the wick books and for further questions jump over to coondawgs.com use the search feature for your questions tons of info there on coon dogs, or jump to ukcdogs.com the search feature isn't as great but still a boatload of info on that message board. Coonslayer you are the reason this sport will die
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Re: RE: Re: Getting started on coon hunting

Postby k_canterbury » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:56 am

Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:32 pm

dswish
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dswish » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:14 pm

It's obvious to see from your previous posts that you sir are no houndsman, how on earth do you expect somebody to learn with the advice you've given. If everybody treated novices like you have the image of houndsman would be far more tarnished and support for the sport would dwindle faster than what it has. I understand it's a lot of young folks that get a dog and Light and think they're hot stuff but any young person willing to learn about a dying art is ok in my book and in a world where land is gettin smaller and posted and grand parents are getting too old to hike the mountains or even worse dead and gone how do you expect somebody to learn? Being a houndsman is about enjoying the dogs and sport and preserving those traditions and you sir are a death threat to this sport!
ethertonee
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby ethertonee » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:11 pm

K_caterbury you will do just fine if you follow the advice in the books. You are hunting crop ground and that is a complete different game then some realize. I did a similar thing to you. I started with one dog then got another the next year. You may not end up with the best dogs ever but I bet you will enjoy the time you spend with them and your daughter and you are the one paying to feed them so your opinion of them is the main one that matters. It is kind of a tuff time to start a coon pup right now. As they are finishing up breeding and once they have little ones the scent Is tuffer for your dogs to follow. Try to cage trap one if you can. You can also use a foot hold trap but since they are illegal in your state you can't and it is a little more western to get them out alive. Once the mulberries come ripe remember where the trees are as they are natural coon feeders. Then once the sweet corn is ripe move to that. Try to get between where they are denning and feeding it helps the dogs get the freshest tracks. Things to consider when taking your daughter are bring lots of snacks. Walk slow and take lots of breaks. Hunt one dog at a time until you get a handle on them. Pick and choose the night you take your daughter based on weather as that can ruin the night in a hurry. It is all about them when they are along. Since you already have the dogs it is a little late but if you get close hungting dogs and walk hunt them it is easier with kids as you don't tend to end up all over. If buy the alpha and get a handle on them it will sure help, as it is hard on kids when the dogs don't listen. You can do it just put in the work. I have twin 6 year olds and they average 20-30 trees a year. They sleep with a stuffed coon and bobcat. We had to make a coon dog car for the church derby races. They are coon crazy. Oh yeah Coonslayer101, you got your opinion shut your mouth and keep it to yourself. Not everyone grew up in your situation. I only hunted with hounds once before I got mine. If it can't be done how do you explain over 400 trees the last 2 years you loud mouth. I don't have the best dogs but I sure enjoy myself. Everyone doesn't hunt for the same reasons. Some of us do it to get away from people like you as we have to work with the. Some of us have jobs that most people can't do and see things most people don't want to see. So we do it to spend time with our kids as we work to support them and want to spen as much time as we can with them because life is short.
k_canterbury
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby k_canterbury » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 pm

Ethertonee. Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Glad to hear how you started similar to the way I am. My daughter is absolutely in love with the hounds and even if they don't make good hunting dogs the time I get to spend one on one with her is well worth it on weekends she likes just going for walks in the woods shed hunting and she insists the hounds go. She also has a stuffed raccoon animal she sleeps with. Thank you again for taking time to share your input it is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
walkerblacktan
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby walkerblacktan » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:21 am

Coon slayer your are a GRADE-A jackass. First off, don't go insulting a guy new to hounds, it's rude and just makes you seem stupid. My first dog, is a blk n tan walker cross I got for 100 bucks. Don't know anything on bloodlines, or the guy I got her from. She is a couple yrs old and is just starting to come around, and yes some of that is my fault. But, this last cat season she showed amazing improvement. Wait, really?? No way a dog that isn't out of 10,000 dollar parents is doing good? You stubborn, ignorant jackass.
To everyone else helping this guy, thanks and I'm sorry this rant, but this coon slayer fella pissed me off. Night.
dirtdodge
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby dirtdodge » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Last edited by dirtdodge on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
huntinwyo
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby huntinwyo » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:12 pm

Starting a hound by itself can be done, in fact, if you want a hound that can can catch there own coon. I started at age 38 with one hound pup. I started him just like wick talks about in the book. The first official hunt he went on he was 10 mo old. At that age he would get out and hunt. He would strike tracks and trail but wasnt able to catch one til 4 months later. From then on he's only gotten better. We had to work on treeing, trash and a few other things but mostly from that point on its all about hunting time. That was 3 years ago and he is now a nite champ and is qualified for the regions for the world hunt. Just do the best you can and have fun. It gets frustrating at timesand you must have patince, I cant stress patience enough! By the way i live in colorado and thhere is some serious coon hunters here.
Coonslayer101
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby Coonslayer101 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:27 pm

School is fixing to start in Michigan will be in St Joseph tonight
cfanno01
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby cfanno01 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:49 pm

Have you checked to see if it is legal for a nonresident to train dogs on coon in MI? I'm not sure that it is...I know coon are not in season to hunt right now

Return to “Coon Hunting”