Get deep quick?

Talk about Coon Hunting
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Get deep quick?

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:47 am

I figured I might post this question here since most on here are pleasure hunters before I load up my dogs to go hunting. On the PKC and UKC websites all they seem to talk about is dogs that get deep quick and alone, I think it is a field trial trait that they want etc. does not sound like much fun walking a mile every time one turns loose to a tree. I like mine to be treed shallow and together. Last night treed 2 singles and a double from strike to tree dogs never went farther than 1/3 of a mile from where I turned them loose and all this was on public land. What are Ya'lls thoughts and opinions?
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Re: Get deep quick?

Postby Mike Leonard » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:45 pm

I think you are right this is a term that has come up thru the competition coon hunting circles. If that is your game I am all for it but as you said most on this site are pleasure hunters or even meat and fur hunters.
Although most know me as a big game hound guy I spent a lot of time following coonhounds and hunted in a lot of different states under many conditions so I know a little about it.

I must say it is impressive to see a big running timber hitter cut loose as the cast starts and he leaves throwing dirt in your face. And if he is in a dog race with 3 other dogs racing for that first strike generally a hot one he better be getting it. These boys don't fool around they want action and not some old plod around hound smelling here and there they want them to hit that strike an nine O and get that baby up the wood quick. You don't get tons of plus points running in the rear, and sometimes you have to cover some ground to hit a coon trail.

Now that being said is this what you and I desire? Maybe not but we are in it for another reasons. sure we want to hear a race and look at some eyes but we are concerned more about other things rather than wining the race.

I had a fellow move into my area who had a really nice male walker dog who was a Dual Grand, and out of one of the hottest competition lines going. This guy had the hardware and photos to show this dogs was hard to beat at the money hunts.

Of course out west here those type of hunts are few and far in between, but we enjoyed visiting and even decided to make a hunt or two at night just for fun.

You find coons out west only where you find water and in some of these places water is hard to find, so you hunt the bigger rivers. I knew a place that I had hunted before and it held coons but it was nasty and thick along this river with tone of bad thorn brush but also big cottonwoods , and some small sloughs along the areas where irrigation was being done for hay farming.
I had an old Blue dog that belonged to a friend of mine in Arizona, that had been a pretty good lion hound over his life and he was also known to enjoy a coon race but I had never hunted him on them before. This dogs was up in years but he still got around good but was certainly no speed demon.

We cast the dogs on the edge of the timber in a likely looking spot, and when he cut the spotted dog loose he left like a quarter horse out of the starting gate. He was gone! Old Buddy the Blue dog just trotted off into the brush and in about 10 minutes or so he came back by us casting around pretty close. We heard the walker dog strike pretty deep maybe 4-500 yard up the river so we started moving that way. He went silent again for about 10 minutes and next time we heard him he had crossed the river and was nearly a half mile away and really smoking one. Well we were in a pickle cuz that river was pretty wide and running pretty strong so we could not wade it we would have to go back around to a bridge to get over there. Well Spot went out of hearing when we were standing close to the river listening cuz the water was messing with the sound.

We hadn't paid any attention to old Buddy for a bit all of a sudden I heard his deep bawl about 100 yards away and he moved a little bawled again and then located and sat down and started hammering the tree. We walked to him and had 2 coon up a cottonwood, and they were high and forked so I figured it was more of a lay-up tree. We let him tree a bit and he was good loud tree dog, and I thought maybe he would suck the other dog back across the river but we never heard him again. We leashed Buddy and started to head back to the truck to drive around and as we were walking Buddy struck off the leash so I turned him loose and he went over and treed on another cottonwood and had a big single up that one. We leashed again and kept walking and we stopped on a little bluff to see if we could hear the walker because we were up away from the river, but we never did. We went about another hundred yards and old Buddy struck again of the lead so I let him go and he went into a little slough and worked thru it opening and jumped and caught a big kitten coon on the ground , and we ran to him but he already had worked it over, so it was a goner.

We finally made it to the truck and went back and crossed the bridge and drove around and although we did have telemetry collars on both dogs we could not get a signal on the spotted dog. We were at a loss as to what to do but at about 4 in the morning we decided to go home grab a nap and come back in the daylight to see if we could find him

Well this dog had gone deep, I mean my friend got a call the next morning that the dog had come in to a small farm place at daylight a good 10 miles from where we turned him out. He was sore footed, smelled of skunk , and had a few porcupine quills in his nose, so he had quite a night of it.

As far as I know he never took the dog out again at night as long as he lived here but he did put in for a transfer with his company and got moved back to the southeast where he had come from.
Old Buddy wasn't a real coon dog, and he wouldn't go deep quick, but he would show you some fur.....
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:09 pm

My type of dog IMHO many of these TYPE dogs overrun tracks to get away from other dogs for some reason. Of the few hunts I have won my dog struck and treed coon behind these get deep quick dogs.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:35 pm

I've coon hunted for pleasure and have compitition a good bit and I think the term get deep quick is just a term some people use to blow a dog up to other people. Most all dogs iv hunted with( don't care what breed) do most of their coon treeing about a quarter mile or less. It seems there is a certain amount of lingo that's not necessary in dog hunting these days.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:44 am

Probably true Mule man, just something one hears a lot, but on most cast the dogs just keep going whether they strike a track or not. I have never been on a cast were they all come back without a bark .
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 am

If you will start using the words ( GO YONDER or GET DEEP) you can gather a bigger crowd around your conversation at any dog event. I forgot ( RUN BIG) that's a great one.
grouse
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby grouse » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:13 pm

Those deep and alone hounds pass up a lot of coon from what i've seen . I have one that's to old to hunt now , but when she was younger when you cut her loose she was off on a straight run and would'nt stop till she hit a coon .
Would always end up under one , but i know for a fact she passed a lot up . Was real bad if you were hunting small patch's because she'd blow through them and end up crossing roads , so I tried to stay in the big woods with her .
Rick Brocious
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:07 am

Varmit, iv owned nothing but Walker and Walker cross. Iv hunted with all other breeds with the exception of plott. Just a few redbone and b/ t. Iv never hunted with a dog that left the country and was found hours later under a coon. Iv heard that but never see it happen. All the dogs that iv hunted with that left out were found on a porch somewhere next morning. You do have a traveler from time to time. The term deep and alone came in about the time I was getting out. We had dogs like that when I was hunting but they were dogs that were silent on track which really wasn't wanted to hunt with. All this loose lip talk now days used to describe some type dog is nothing but hype. The dogs of today came from the dogs of yesterday, you can't produce coon dogs (hound dogs) any other way. You can add some other type dog in there but you leave the hound breed when you do. If you have hunted much at all you will recognize when a dogs background is a little tainted. English pointer will put put a quiter mouth and a deeper hunt in the hound breed and it is hard to tell by appearance. You know people will do most anything to win a ribbon and some will do anything to win money. Iv been with dogs that were talked up by their owners to be this and that, but if they were pure hound coon dog they were all about the same.
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:08 pm

Mule man you are right about the bird dog thing, I am sold on the coon hound / foxhound crosses it goes against what most people believe to be true like these pro deer hunters that hunt on TV way too much. But once you try it and hunt with a open mind it puts the pleasure back into pleasure hunting. JMHO
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:08 am

Varmit, I have a full run Walker that trees pretty good but doesn't have a good bark to listen to on a tree. I dog hunt to listen to a dog telling me what's happening and I want a good voice and plenty of it. To get something out of a cross you have to loose something and it is too often the voice.
macedonia mule man
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby macedonia mule man » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:49 am

Varmit, one thing I have never been accused of is having an open mind. Mu mind is completely box up when it comes to what I want in a dog.i have people all the time telling me what I need to do to catch cats consistitantly. Quess what, they never have caught cats consistently. Like the grand kids sayGO FIGURE!!!!!!'
VARMIT HUNTER
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby VARMIT HUNTER » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:52 pm

I am with you on the voice thing , you just can not pick any Foxhound or strain some are louder than others so far some of the Trigg and Running walker strains work best just need to do your research. My Great Uncle had a 1/2 Redbone x 1/2 July that was has real hard loud tree dog about 80 barks a minute we called Sugar Red. So far I have not lost any voice except one female who actually lost her voice , I have not taken her to a vet but have tried every home remedy I have ever heard of she is 4 and you can still hear her just not as loud as she was last winter. I have not figured out how to post pics on here yet If you have a smart phone PM your number and I can send you some pics of these extra trashy depression era sportsmen hounds in action. LOL
Ronnie H
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Ronnie H » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:27 pm

Quick & Deep is OK unless you walk under four or five coons on the way to a slick tree.

Return to “Coon Hunting”