Putting weight on a dog

Talk about Coon Hunting
trentonmoore292

Putting weight on a dog

Postby trentonmoore292 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:22 am

Hey guys I recently got a new walker she is really skinny and her pelvis bone is showing and her ribs I was wondering what I could to get her to put weight back on I am feeding the pride 21/10 any tips? She is a 8 month old I had a older gentleman tell me that she was busting going through a faze but I’ve owned plenty of dogs and never seen one do this so if anyone has any tips could u pls drop them in the comments thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
justahunter
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Re: Putting weight on a dog

Postby justahunter » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:24 pm

Assuming it's been wormed I would feed her a higher fat dogfood like diamond high energy or k9 rage. Also dyne for dogs will put the weight on them quick.
Hunt hard cull hard !
bearsinva
Facebook ID: 0

Postby bearsinva » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:26 pm

I would worm the dog again just to make sure she has all the worms killed. From what I have read if the dog had worm eggs inside her those eggs when hatched will possibly/probably re- infect the dog. Also make sure you use a quality wormer. Wormers have been discussed in depth on this site but some don't kill eggs. Good luck with your dog.
Goose
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Goose » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:25 pm

Most definitely find another feed with a higher fat content, get some CORN oil and put it in a spray bottle and spray and coat her feed with it, get a good pro and pre biotic to start mixing over feee as well, more than likely her good digestive bacteria in her gut is out of whack, gut health is the key to everything else working in working order...
Henefer-hound-hunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Henefer-hound-hunter » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:13 am

I would also recommend worming her again with a vet strength wormer, And you need feed with much higher fat content I feed showtime 20% fat 27% protein and I really like it! Also I use calf milk replacer to put weight on dogs when I’m hunting them day after day or when it’s really cold. I mix it up and put two cups over their food they love it, and it puts weight on fast and gives them a lot of vitamins. I also agree with goose about the pro biotic any time my dogs are on antibiotics I follow up with pro biotic to get the good bacteria back in their digestive trac. You can buy it on amazon for not much at all and it will last along time.

Return to “Coon Hunting”