locating

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
houndman5
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

locating

Postby houndman5 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Heres my deal. I have no problem starting a track or running and jumping a critter but when it comes down to locating it in a tree they just run 30 to 40 foot circles around the clump of trees its treed in. They won't sit down and tree on a tree. So Wat I've been doing is all go down there find it and help them locate and hiss them up a prayes them. But it hasent been seem to be helping. And I don'thave the money to buy a dog so any help is appreciated. Thanks
fallriverwalker1
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: locating

Postby fallriverwalker1 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm going to be a bit brutal// have you read any of the other threads on this site on cat hunting////mike martel just said if you don't have a locating tree dog you cant catch // now ole dw will disagree . but I have been doing this as long as dw // if you have to go to a tree and help a dog find something in a tree you have half a dog ///only cure get a real dog///jim
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:50 pm

You say they, how many dogs is they,how old is your oldest dog , were their ancestors tree dogs, how much game have they been on, are you tieing them once you get to the tree & praising them? If they are staying within 30 to 40 feet of the tree and barking enough for you to get to the tree some hunters would consider that good enough. There have been a bunch of bobcat harvested under these same circumstances, with dogs that normally tree much tighter to the tree. Good locators on bobcat have been three to five before making a locate tree dog. Before I get lambasted , let me say that is not good enough to suit a bunch of hunters & yes you can do better. Good luck Al
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:20 am

This is from 8am this morning...It could had just as easily been midnight last night, but didn't find any bobcats moving. Accuracy is huge here in the N.W. Once in a while you will see hounds locate different trees than where the bobcat is sitting based on wind currents....Having to deal with a problem like that regularly? It would make me want to either get the right hound or quit! A guy could spend all winter looking for a bobcat with all the big timber where I hunt.

houndogger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby houndogger » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:37 am

Bring your binos. I've spent 30 mins looking for coons in these parts. I'd think bobcats would be the same.
If your going to find tracks you better make tracks!
1bludawg
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby 1bludawg » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:46 am

I've seen more than one cat dog that was 2 or 2 1/2 before they learned to locate on bobcat.That's not unusual here in the northwest .The fact that they're staying close to where the cat is treed is a good sign,many dogs would backtrack to where it was started. Do you know anyone that has a sure nuff tree you could hunt with a few times? That might be all it takes .I've seen and owned dogs that you could do anything and everything to to get them to tree and they would not tree until something clicks in their head.I'm not sure if its genetic or some kind of time line in their brain but when that buzzer goes off they start treeing.Generally speaking tree bred dogs tree earlier but then you must be careful not to lose tracking ability .There are hounds that can burn a track AND locate and blow the top out of a tree!
twist
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby twist » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:11 am

There are always exceptions for young hounds on locating and treeing bobcat. If one is hunting several young dogs your problem of locate and tree will usually escalade. So cut back on how many are out. But I am a firm believer if one older dog can't finish the track by locating and treeing and stay hooked that dog is worthless! Andy
The home of TOPPER AGAIN bred biggame hounds.
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:21 pm

mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:31 pm

I must be a poor locater cuz i cant find the cat in that picture. Can someone help me out?
blackcreekboy
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby blackcreekboy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:48 pm

I cant see anything either,so don't feel bad.

I don't hunt bobcats or have as much experience as some other posters but heres my thoughts....
you don't mention the age of your dogs .....if they all are about 2 or younger and have put as many pieces of the puzzle as you say together on their own ,they actually are doin pretty good in my opinion anyways.
I would figure out someway to get an older dog that has slowed down but still can hunt and is a good solid tree dog.....sell some fur ,cut firewood whatever it takes.......I been broke before.
If you are at this stage 3 or 4 years in,u have some tough decisions to make .
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:29 pm

It's called perception and the power of the internet! You saw it here...It must be so!

Bonjour!
mike martell
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mike martell » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:39 pm

Look harder!
newby
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby newby » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:32 pm

I think I see him in the top third of that big fir on the left of the pic.
merlo_105
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby merlo_105 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 pm

When your sure its tree'd bring in leashes and a long piece of rope or parachute cord find the Cat talk the dogs up. Leash up the dogs Find a stick tap up the tree a few times so the dogs are looking up. Roll the cat out show it to the dogs but keep it away from them tease them. Take your rope tie it to the cats head throw it up a tree and work it up and down the tree cut dogs loose and just let them go crazy treeing on it. Once or twice might be all you need, Good luck
mark
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby mark » Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:14 am

I think the pull up exercise can and has helped young dogs come into treeing a little better but can also cause tree happiness if you're not careful or over do it. As far as accurate honest locate dogs go, that is bred into them! IMO

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”