Just something I find amusing

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Just something I find amusing

Postby al baldwin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:44 am

Most every evening I take the dogs for some exercise down across a creek that runs thru my place. I ride a wheeler, dogs run & hunt the wooded areas enjoying the freedom. About three weeks ago a 9 month walker male came packing a large very white & dry bone back to where I was cutting firewood. As we headed for home I took the bone from him & tossed it into a deep water hole in the creek. He jumped in and swam round & round searching for that bone, until I toned him to come on. Every time since that day each time we cross the creek where I tossed that bone he jumps in that hole popping his nose & swimming around searching for that bone. He swims out direct above the bone, makes a few circles around & around, quickly swims down stream about 3o feet popping his nose, makes a quick turn swims back up stream to where I can see the bone at the creek bottom and repeats the same route over & over. Wish I could record a video to show others sure you too wound find it interesting. My question is, could he have that good a memory, or is he actually smelling that old sun bleached bone? It certainly appears he is smelling that bone. Thanks Al
driftwood blue
Open Mouth
Open Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Just something I find amusing

Postby driftwood blue » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:08 am

I think maybe a little of both.
My nephew has an old hound that is a pretty good cooner.
when he trees a coon in the timber, every time you go to those woods he will check that same tree. he will check trees in other timber where they hunt and have treed before.

they dang sure have a pretty good memory for things like that if they have some good sense

as far as the old dry white bone-- it may have been old and dry and when it got put in the water it probably refreshed what little meat scent there was on it.
I have seen times when an old bone got wet and one could smell the odor of the rancid meat on it.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:57 am

We have a lab here. On two different occasions he has put his head underwater to the bottom and came up with a big goose egg in his mouth. I also found that amusing, and like you, it raises a couple questions for me. I think he sees them. But?

I have had pups "trail" muskrat swimming where the rat swam. I would theorize that if scent was the only motivation for your dog, he would remain downstream from the bone.

You sure are a mean person to torture your poor dog like that. Dive down there and get him his bone Al. Lol
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:33 am

I know of a pup about ten months old that occupies himself in a way that I find maybe more confusing than amusing. He will mount his front feet up on the roof of his house obviously looking for something up there on the roof. Then he will dismount and rotate around the house doing the same thing on each side of the house trying to get a better angle. Most of the time when I see the dog he is doing this. He has zero tree dog blood.

So my question is, does he smell the aliens, or see them, or remember them?

In the woods he is just fine and shows promise.
tigger
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby tigger » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:25 pm

I don't think we have a clue how smart some dogs are, I also run my dogs when I get home and feed. I have three different spots to go make a loop, they may get after a coon or field lion but we jump tons of rabbits and deer and makes good training for young dogs, but they get really smart as to where the can run good game so they will hustle to these spots which at times drives me crazy. I also had a dog this spring that made it home from a place she had never been in her life and after a month made it to one of these loops that I run close to town, she knew where she was and just waited cause I would be along sometime. I also run a heeler dog, back when he was younger I hunted on a different mountain when he was 5 or so we quit hunting in that country, well long story short we ended up back there last year he is now 11 and when we got out to walk a canyon he took off like we had been there yesterday. I will never understand it all I think that what keeps me going.
pegleg
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby pegleg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:30 pm

I was hunting years ago and it got hot so we took a break next to a dirt tank. My younger brother was flipping little rock's in the water and this old hound got worked up. Now this dog was old a didn't get excited about anything. But pretty quick he's in the water rooting around and blowing bubbles like a puppy. He started bringing the rock's back I figured he was just grabbing whatever he came to but no he was bring the right rock's back out. Our dirt tanks at that time of year are more sludge then water so he was having to really dig for them.
Dan Edwards
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Dan Edwards » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:06 pm

I seen my buddy with a 4 month old Chessie take a rock and rub it on his pant leg. Toss it out in a creek and that pup would bring that rock back every time. He'd go under water grab it and out he'd come. I don't know what the point of the pant leg was but that's just how he done it. That pup handled better than any dog I have ever owned. If my buddy said stay that pup wouldn't move for anything.
Redwood Coonhounds
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth
Facebook ID: 100000073410597

Postby Redwood Coonhounds » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Must be the Rock hound. I would say he is smelling it, and he just really likes water, so he makes a game of it. His mom and sister will both swim for hours in circles in the lake, looking for stuff floating to bite, I don't even have to throw sticks for them anymore. I think it started with catching coons in the water, or entering them in swim races, or after swimming that damn lake so many times after bears, either way they are pumped up and looking for something out there. I have to make them both get out of the water to leave. I'm not exaggerating when I say as soon as I let them out of the truck they go dive in, and don't step foot on land until I make them when we leave. Usually and hour or two.
Cassandra Davis
Redwood's Treeing Walker Coonhounds
& Louisiana Catahoula Leopard Dogs
http://www.RedwoodCoonhounds.net/
https://www.facebook.com/RedwoodKennelsHounds
al baldwin
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby al baldwin » Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:19 pm

Yes it is the rock dog, he does love the water, entertaining to watch him. Hopefully this fall will find out about his natural traits as a hunting dog. Al
Mike Leonard
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby Mike Leonard » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:36 pm

These hounds can be pretty funny at some of the things they get hooked on. I have this little lemon and white walker dog called Milo. Now he is a tight wound single minded little dude that has I am sure 100 lions or so to his credit. He is a wizard and running a cold track and rooting one out of the bad bluffs and rims when it looks impossible. Now you wouldn't think a dog like this would be interested in back yard games ,but he is.

Every evening he just can't wait for me to get home and take him out on the patio for play time. One of his favorites is, we have this triangle shaped cloth mesh canopy that covers part of lower patio and shades it. This is not solid it is suspended on ropes sort of like a big hammock. Well this time of the year we go into a monsoon period of weather , and we get some big rains but these storms are usually preceded by some gusts of strong wind. Well those winds will pick that canopy up 12-14 feet in the air and then push it down where it is hardly over your head. Well I have this stuffed toy lion that Milo just loves, and I will flip it up on that canopy from my lawn chair, and he will just set there like a statue watching it go up and down, never saying a word. But when an extra strong gust hit it and it is catapulted high in the air, he will launch himself like an arrow and catch it leaping high in the air as it sails down. He will give it a shake or two and then bring it back to me and let go when I grab it and he will set down to have me do it all over again. He never tires of this game. He will wear you out!!

I guess it is his way of beating the off season blues, and he makes believe that it is a treed lion making a leap for freedom. LOL! Crazy dog!!
MIKE LEONARD
Somewhere out there.............
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Haha.
I like this thread just because I like to laugh and I can picture these goofy dogs doing all this.

The alien hunter I was telling you about gave me another alien hunting adventure.

His water bucket is a five gallon bucket wired up to the kennel panel. Sometimes I would see the ground all wet and the bucket half empty, but could not figure out why. But twice now I have seen what is happening.

The aliens have started to hide under water at the bottom of his bucket. Evidently they figured out he is onto them when they are on his roof. Twice I have seen him plunging his head in, snapping and trying to grab them off the bottom. He would get his whole body in there if he could. If he did, I am pretty sure he would disappear into Wonderland.
Mountaineer

Postby Mountaineer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:36 am

I have a walker hound that is 2 years old and if a blanket falls of the chair, bed or couch she has to get down and put it back up. If she walks by a piece of furniture and a blanket or towel is laying there she will pick it up and place it there and take her nose and put it in a certain position! It all started when she was 9 months old and jumped up on a outside swing and the cushion slipped off and I witnessed her jumping back down and picking it up and putting it back then jumping back up on swing and snuggling in!! My wife saw it as well. Almost have to see to believe!
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:28 am

David, I'm afraid I'd have to get rid of that one. Don't know if I could close my eyes and go to sleep at night thinking that dog was seeing something on my place right in front of my eyes that I can't see.
I know I have the protection of Jesus over such things but, just sayin. Haha there's that but, o me of little faith.
scrubrunner
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby scrubrunner » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:42 am

I have one that walks around the pen and then stands up on his hind feet n stretchs his front feet as high as he can on the fence 5-10 times before he takes a dump. Guess that's his way of working it up. I know that's not in the same class as the other posted amusings but I find it amusing.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Postby david » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Last edited by david on Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”