Elmer Blankenship

A Place to talk about hunting Bobcats, Lynx.
david
Babble Mouth
Babble Mouth

Elmer Blankenship

Postby david » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:17 pm

Jason, I saw your post about Elmer on Stacy's thread about her new pup. I have never seen a post that left me with so many different feelings. First off, it is a lot of joy just seeing "jcathunter" on the screen. I wondered if we lost you or what and here you are alive again!!! I hope you and your family are well.

I heard from Mike Martell on the same subject, and appreciate it Mike. Thankyou.

Then, there is a measure of sorrow at hearing of Elmer's death. There is a man that turned alot of physical pain and misfortune into a life time of hunting harder than most of us could even stand. He was in a class of hunters that is rare. If there was a way to count the days Elmer was in the woods with his dogs, I wonder if there is anyone that has hunted bobcats more days than Elmer did? If there is, it is probably because they lived longer. It feels like the death of a legendary figure, the end of an era. With all the respect and reverence I can gather, I salute Elmer Blankenship. My sympathy and prayers go out to those who were close to him.

It is harder to find it, but there is joy also at hearing of his death. I know he suffered, and now he does not. I also know he loved Jesus with all his heart, and I hold on to the hope of seeing him again.
I know he was not perfect, but if I understand the good news correctly, we dont have to be. Good news indeed. See you later Elmer.
jcathunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 1654317690

Re: Elmer Blankenship

Postby jcathunter » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:42 pm

David, I've been good. Got out of hunting dogs as much as I used to but I still get out. I'm going to hunt my Ruby dog and one pup this winter.
I know how to figure out how many days Elmer hunted, look at the calender and cross off Sundays. :shock: :D Well, I guess you'd have to cross off turkey season too. He LOVED to hunt turkey. I always told him that, if I could find a dog that could cold trail turkeys, he'd make me a rich man. :P
Yaak attack
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby Yaak attack » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:21 pm

Tell us some more about Elmer. I Know Mel White mentioned him to me a few times. He told me you could give him any two pups and he would make bobcat dogs out of them without the help of other dogs. He spoke of him in that legend status as well.
jcathunter
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 1654317690

Postby jcathunter » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:29 am

Elmer was a heck of a guy and one heck of a houndman. The first day I met him, I was just starting out with borrowed equipment and a couple dogs. I ran into him and stopped to see what was up because our dogs had mixed and he let me know that Spot and one of my dogs were treed and the rest of the potlickers were off doing who knows what. We walked in and got the cat and after the hunt, Elmer told me that he was headed back to Wa and asked if I was going to be hunting in that area in the future so that we might meet up again. I let him know that I had a borrowed tracking system and had to return it so I wasn't sure how much I'd get to hunt. He didnt say anything but walked over to his truck and came back with a 1000 box, collars, antennas and everything I'd need to keep going. He told me to keep my dogs in the woods and that he'd just get the stuff back when I got my own. Shortly thereafter, I helped him uload some of his stuff in his new house a couple miles down the road from me and we started hitting the woods together. I did my best to soak up anything and everything I could from him and it sure was a pleasure to hunt with someone who absolutely lived to hunt dogs. (except during turkey season lol) If he said that he would be here at 3am, I quickly learned to be ready at 2:30 because he was always 30mins early and anxious to get em on the box. He was also more help to me than I ever could have hoped for in many many ways. Whenever I was looking for a pup, he would always find me a dandy and, if he couldn't, he would tell me that he had a young dog that he didnt like that I may want to try and he would offer it to me for the amount that I wanted to spend on a pup. The funny thing was that it was always a dog from his pack that I really liked and had told him that I really liked. 8) When I'd get in a bind and need some money, Elmer would always seem to show an interest in one of my dogs and buy it from me. More often that not, it was one of the dogs that he had sold to me at a tenth of the price. Thats just the kind of guy he was. I consider myself very fortunate to have gotten the time with him that I did. I know that I learned more from him than I ever could have on my own in ten lifetimes. We had our arguements but he was a true friend to me, always. I know there are others on this board that feel the same way and shared a lot of good times with him as well and hopefully they will have a story or two.
al luttrell jr
Silent Mouth
Silent Mouth

Postby al luttrell jr » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:42 am

Elmer was one of my absolute best friends i had and i loved him like a dad.
We hunted together for many years.And we caught more game than you could imagine.
I could not have asked for a better hunting partner and friend.
Thanks Al Luttrell Jr
ryan goodwin
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby ryan goodwin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:35 pm

wow i have just learned of elmers passing. I was just talking about him the other day
elmer was one of the best bobcat hunters i have ever been around and hunted with. somebody posted he could take two pups and turn them into bob dogs. rain snow dry ground man it could be the nastyiest weather and he and his dogs could catch a cat he was a amazing man and hunter glad i had the privlege to hunt with him. now hes up in the great sky above chasing and listening to his dogs we will miss ya elmer. my hats off to in my oppion the best bobcat hunter ever

Return to “Bobcat/Lynx Hunting”