Here they come again.....

savage
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Here they come again.....

Postby savage » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:54 pm

Well boys, its time to fight off the hunters alert group again. I got a couple emails saying they are going to try to delist the lion again and add a bounty on them. Please help us fight them!!! Here's one of the emails.

Dear friends and outdoor enthusiasts,

Please read the document attached. Please help us stay ahead of these guys because now that they have a majority vote on our wildlife commission they are going to try to delist the mountain lion as a big game species and offer $500 reward, bounty, payment, or however they want to soften it up, towards the harvest of each cat a hunter brings in. This will surely get us in trouble with the anti hunting groups just as it did two years ago when they attempted it. This made every newspaper in NV! We don’t need this type of publicity in this day and age. They are going to find out just who really has the majority vote! And its not the hunting crowd…

The truth is we need to have some form of records on lion harvest or we will end up like CA and not be able to hunt them at all. If they delist lions it will remove NDOWs ability to require the cat to be checked in and tagged. There will be no more data to substantiate hunting them and we all know how tough it is to do population counts on lions. All PETA would have to do is claim that the lion is becoming an endangered animal in our State and we would have no way to prove different.

If you think that the mountain lion has a right to be managed like all other wildlife in NV do something to stop Assemblyman Jerry Claborns bill. Let our biologists do their job, not a bunch of radicals from LV that think they have all the answers. We all want deer, we all want predator control, some of us can see the big picture and are not so tunnel visioned on how to go about it. It took 20 years for our deer herds to decline to the levels they are now. Its going to take some time to bring them back too.

“Wildfires in Nevada are out of control. Before 1980 there were less than 25,000 acres burned in Nevada wildfires each year. Now over 600,000 acres are burning in Nevada wildfires each year, an astonishing 24-fold increase since 1980.” (Grant Gerber, Gerber and Associates, Elko NV)

This is the big change in our State! We are harvesting more lions now than ever before. The average age of lions in NV is on a decline. That is the reason that the harvest objective is down. This took into account the past five or more years, not just something that NDOW pulled out of their hat. Our deer have to have something to eat before mother nature is going to allow an increase in population no matter what we do. Fire burns sage and other brush that deer eat. After the fire, grass grows but it takes years for the forage that deer browse on in the winter months to come back. Why do you think that our elk are doing so well? They live off the grass. While lion hunting last weekend, (yes! I am doing my part to control the lion population) every herd of elk that I found were digging in the snow for grass and I never observed this in one group of deer.

I believe that if we can continue to have years like 2009 and only 20,000 acres burned, NDOW practices sound management, and we manage, not exterminate the number of coyotes, bobcats, and lions the deer herds will again incline. Times have changed, people don’t believe in the eradication of predators anymore. We have been down that road with the grizzly and wolf and don’t need to repeat history with the mountain lion in NV!
Last edited by savage on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck"

"just remember there's a lot of women out there but good dogs are hard to come by."

Paul
savage
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Re: Here they come again.....

Postby savage » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 pm

this is from the hunters alert website

Good news for Nevada sportsmen! HUNTER'S ALERT has been waiting to write a report like this for over 20 years. Sportsmen now have 5 (the majority) good Wildlife commissioners on the Board. A very nasty Wildlife Commission meeting was held on August 14 and 15 in Elko. The bighorn sheep people did everything they could to see that Gerald Lent was not re-elected as chairman. Thankfully, the sheep people were defeated.
Gerald Lent is in the process of forming a Mule Deer Task Force committee. The intent of this committee is to facilitate input from concerned deer hunters. For that reason, we are requesting that everyone with an idea or suggestion to bring back our deer to submit it to the committee chair, Scott Raine. He can be reached at scottraine@sbcglobal.net or PO Box 812, Eureka, NV 89316. All ideas will be considered and I can assure you that some will be presented to the Wildlife Commission for implementation.
Past and current directors and NDOW biologists have done nothing to bring back our deer so it is going to be up to this Wildlife Commission to implement some changes. At last the general public is going to have some direct input. Please pass this information on to your fellow hunters as the committee wants as many suggestions as possible.
Thank you for your support of HUNTER'S ALERT. We are working for ALL of the sportsmen of Nevada to preserve and protect our hunting heritage.
Listed below are recommendations sent to Commissioner Raine by HUNTER'S ALERT.
Dear Commissioner Raine:
HUNTER'S ALERT is pleased that someone with some authority has finally realized that we have lost our deer and actually wants to do something to address this loss. For that reason, HUNTER'S ALERT is listing five suggestions which we hope you will consider.
1. Replace the current director with someone who wants to bring back our deer.
2. Managing mountain lions is a state right. The mountain lion should be returned to predator status without any federal repercussions. The threat of withholding P-R money goes against the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution. P-R money should be given to states with no strings attached.
3. If number 2 is unattainable, insure the objective harvest of mountain lions is accomplished every year.
4. No killing of does until deer numbers are at 200,000 statewide.
5. More emphasis on predator control.

Please help us guys. We all need to stand together if we are to defeat them!, Thanks, Paul
"if you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics suck"

"just remember there's a lot of women out there but good dogs are hard to come by."

Paul
BJ
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby BJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:57 pm

pm me how can i help i need to be more involved. i'll give you my number back
Peter Meyer
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby Peter Meyer » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:54 am

Please keep me informed, I'm starting to closely follow Nevada to prepare for our fight in CA. Peter foxredlabmeyer@gmail.com
Bar K Black and Tans Placerville CA
"We must indeed all hang together, or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately" -Benjamin Franklin replying to John Hancock's remark that the revolutionaries should be unanimous in their action. July 4, 1776 at the signing of the Declaration of Independence
nvlion_hunter
Tight Mouth
Tight Mouth

Postby nvlion_hunter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:47 pm

When did you receive this email? I know Scott Rains personally and have spoken with him a number of times and so have many other guys that I'm close friends with. They tried to get the lion listed as a varmint last year to no avail. And they were also trying to put a $500 bounty on them (that also didn't work). I my personal opinion the deer hunters really need to get ahold of themselves. And realize that if they try to put these kinds of changes in effect it will hurt the state in the long run. Now don't get me wrong i LOVE to deer hunt but lions are not the only cause to the declining deer herds. The increasing nubers of coyotes and elk are having a major impact on the deer. And I'm sure that giving out 2,026 deer tags for one area did not help the statistics any!
Cory Davidson
Predators are my thang

Return to “Nevada”