Plotts downfalls running coyotes?

A place to talk about coyote Hunting with dogs
Alex Sanderson

Plotts downfalls running coyotes?

Postby Alex Sanderson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:39 am

For those of you who have experince using plotts to run yotes what do typical shortcomings seem to be. What I hear the most from other people is that they lack the speed. This is not an opinion that I agree with as the plotts I own have more than enough speed and outrun most hounds especially on ground game. However popular opinion seems to be that speed is a problem. Just looking for more input, whatever it may be.
Thanks
CkZona

Re: Plotts downfalls running coyotes?

Postby CkZona » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:24 am

There are no dogs that can keep up with a coyote. Except for maybe a greyhound or American Indian Dog
Alex Sanderson

Postby Alex Sanderson » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:59 am

CkZona, I hope you didnt get the impression that my post meant anything about keeping up to coyotes,or catching them, just that they can do a good job of running them, and that they are not too slow to be used effectively on coyotes the way that some view the the plott breed on the whole.
SWAMPDRIVER

Postby SWAMPDRIVER » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:32 pm

After 20 yrs. of running coyotes with hounds, and trying about every breed you can think of, I can say we have had the most success with a pair of littermate Plotts we are using now. They keep their feet better than anything we have tried, and will not quit.
Pops
Open Mouth
Open Mouth

Postby Pops » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:03 am

Alex Sanderson

Postby Alex Sanderson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:51 am

SWAMPDRIVER, what size are your plotts now. What is the reason for your increased success? Tracking ability, speed, stamina? Are your dogs starting and finishing the race, or do you cycle fresh dogs in periodically?
kc
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth
Facebook ID: 0

Postby kc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am

i have a few guys on my home site that do real well with the plotts they run on yotes.
HOME OF MCDONNELL`S REDBONES.

http://www.kcshounds.com/mcdonnells_redbones.php

WEBSITE.

http://www.kcshounds.com/index.php

HOME OF THE YOTE JUNKIES
SWAMPDRIVER

Postby SWAMPDRIVER » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Alex, the Plotts are 45-50- lbs. Male and female littermates. I can't take any credit for the reason they have worked well for us other than we put them in the woods.. alot. I would say genetics has as much to do with it as anything. The male for example was owned by a neighbor who is a pretty serious comp. coonhunter who got him as a pup from a family member as a present. He was started on coon and did well, but started bumping coyotes and did even better! He tried to break him but couldn't. We put him on a chase that first winter and he went at it like a pro, about 8 miles that day. We got ahold of his sister later and had good luck with her too. They are 5 yrs. old and to this day neither has seen the inside of a running pen. I am not going to tell you they are the best cold nosed jump dogs I have seen cuz they are not. But we generally walk all of our tracks up to start so we are at fault for that. Just the way we do it. But when you get one jumped I havent hunted any more determined than these. Not bragging, I am sure they are out there. We have hunted the running walkers, triggs, july, crosses etc. Yes we do cycle fresh dogs into the chase. We do not jump shoot.I have the If you can catch him you can have him philosophy.
Alex Sanderson

Postby Alex Sanderson » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:57 pm

I assume that if the male came from a comp. hunter then they must be 'PR'. If so where did they come from? And what percentage of game that they chase would you say they catch?
CkZona

Postby CkZona » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:23 am

SWAMPDRIVER

Postby SWAMPDRIVER » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:59 pm

Alex, yes they are ukc reg. I'm not a good stats guy or bloodlines study, although I am starting to pay alittle more attention to lines now. Came from a local guy here in MI. Some of the blood behind them is Weems, Roarks, Cascade, Dillingham. Average 35- 40 caught each winter the majority in Jan. and Feb.
Alex Sanderson

Postby Alex Sanderson » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:23 pm

CkZona, There are actually a number of breeds bred for sight running that are faster than coyotes. Just not scenthounds. That is something I have experience with. There are also exceptions to most rules. I also have experience with that.
STUNTMAN
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby STUNTMAN » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:52 pm

AS- I have hunted with allot of differnt hount breeds and men that had differnt goals. Whats yours? run to catch, run to shoot, just run? Most coyote hunters that are using tree hound breeds are shooting them as they dont push the coyote to hard and it circles enough for a long rifle to get its cross hairs on. If they are catching them with plotts and other tree breeds its in deep snow. Before everyone gets nuts I'm speaking in generalities. If your running to catch as I do and only shoot to save a hound from a road ect stick to the running breeds imo.
BIG GAME CURS
Alex Sanderson

Postby Alex Sanderson » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:53 pm

In most cases I would agree with you. "Running" dogs and "tree" dogs have their reputation for an obvious reason. Hounds generally don't have the speed to catch every coyote they ever chase, no matter the breed. The particular plotts I have do have do have the speed to catch up with them. I believe that if you are pursuing ground game with dogs that the game should be caught on the ground. That's what im trying to do. If I want to shoot them they can be called.
bearcat
Bawl Mouth
Bawl Mouth

Postby bearcat » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:33 am

quote="CkZona"]There are no dogs that can keep up with a coyote. Except for maybe a greyhound or American Indian Dog[/quote][/quote]
I'm assuming when you say no dog is as fast as a coyote you mean for short periods. Because I don't hunt coyotes, I run mainly bears and bobcats and some lions with my dogs. Their Mathes hounds with some Ray Nelson and some running dog bred into them. And they are naturally trashy when their young (I swear they are all born liking coyotes) if they get after a coyote and I don't get them stopped they will run down and catch and kill 90% in 1-2 hours.

Return to “Coyote Hunting”